Headlights/HID

Cookie

Has anyone converted their headlights to HID? If so, what's involved and is the result worth the effort/cost?

I am not impressed with the standard headlights and wondering if HID would be an improvement.

Since xenon/HID lights are different and they use a different casing/housing for the bulb. If you match the halogen casing/housing with a HID bulb (it will work but) it will cause of a lot of glare!

I have never seen a good conversion that INCREASE the amount of light reflecting back to the driver. EDIT: nor the distance of which the light beam travel increases.

Stock HID, btw, is excellent and I love it to death.

I am more inclined to get some strong halogen bulb which may be a little less yellow.

Once again, I am very happy to be proven wrong :)

Edited by Taka

I would agree with taka to go with "performace" replacement bulb 1st and see if you're happy with the results.

retrofitting HID is very costly and bear in mind you need headlight washers too. although i too would question its purpose but this is to keep it Legal

If you want to try globes try Philips Bluevision(4000k yellowish colour beam $60) or if you want whiter beam try Philips silvervision or crystal vision but their around $100 from autobarn.

Im not sure if the HID is any good as i've never seen one before but you can get cheap HID kit on ebay for around $85.

I found this.

http://www.xenonoz.com.au/

Wonder I should give it a try :rolleyes:

Sounded good Taka until I read the FAQ, seems they are not street legal unless used for auxillary lighting, so we just cant replace our single H4 combo light. :angry: But I wonder if we can put them in the fog lights and how much more effective they would be......then again are you supposed to drive around with your foglights on??...when theres no fog??....and then again how bad would they be when there is fog.....?? hmmm.many questions.

Not legal is difficult.

I have HID's in my corolla which is not "Legal". I have had them for over 12 months, pulled over plenty of times and nothing said at all.

As long as you point the beam lower you should be fine.

Its like Exhaust, CAI, Lowering, Wheels ETC ETC ETC.

Most things are not legal unless fully engineered or in this case, Retro fitted.

Just my 2c

Be warned though. Once you have HID, you wont be able to drive with normal lights ever again

Some interesting reading here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod..._of_winter.html

I think its still safer to stick to the conventional halogen bulb but to get the most efficient version....note: its important not to glare oncoming traffic. Whats the use of you being able to see while blinding the oncoming car possibly causing them to collide with you??.

Another thing to consider is not going to high in power, over a period of time it could cause the reflective surface in the light to break down or suffer some other form of heat damage.

[but I wonder if we can put them in the fog lights and how much more effective they would be......then again are you supposed to drive around with your foglights on??...when theres no fog??....and then again how bad would they be when there is fog.....?? hmmm.many questions.

My dealer explained it well. He said that fog lights aim straight out like a headlight to help penetrate fog.

Driving lights are aimed down at the road to assist in err... driving. :)

Another thread I read said that fogs are yellow and driving lights are white. Dont know how true that is, as you can easily change the bulb. :whistling:

Fog lights ARE illegal to drive around with on all the time. I see so many people now, driving home from work or whatever, lit up like a cruise ship. Its ridiculous.

Verdict

Head and shoulders above the rest in this test was the Philips X-treme Power, which put in a performance no rival bulb could come near.

Guess what I brought tonight at Autobarn before going home :whistling:

Verdict

Head and shoulders above the rest in this test was the Philips X-treme Power, which put in a performance no rival bulb could come near.

Taka, how much did they cost you? Are they the whiter style light or the ones with the bluish tinge?

Thanks,

Scott.

I find the "white" halogen bulbs look brighter, but all it is, is glare.

You might also find that your previous light was 55w, the new one might be 110w, not good for wiring.

White Bulbs will not come clear to HID, specially in the rain!

Verdict

You work fast Taka.

Ive been thinking of those myself. If possible " its probably too late" can you take pics of "like" one original and one new bulb installed from the front and also a shot from inside looking out..... I know its a big ask but it would be interesting to do a comparison like that.

You might find you have to lower your headlight angle to limit the glare to oncoming traffic.

It will be very interesting to see what your opinion is of them......

DId you change the fog lights as well? Can you guys tell me what type it uses in the fog lights and also park lights. I have a Barina SRI and they use the same H7 in the main headlights and i think H3 in the fogs.

I would change the fogs to because i normally use both most of the time, especially in bad weather.

H11 does not have any bright bulb available :(

XtremePower does not come with H11 and crystal white from Philips are not as bright. I am still searching a nice, brighter H11 since my RX-8 also needs them.

Let me know if you find one!

Super white ain't necessary super bright... most of them are, in fact, the opposite ;)

I have one of those super white in my RX-8, matches the Xenon pretty well in terms of colour, but it does not do its job in terms of lighting.

I will keep searching though.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone converted their headlights to HID? If so, what's involved and is the result worth the effort/cost?

I am not impressed with the standard headlights and wondering if HID would be an improvement.

I had HID's on ours last year, you've got to know what you are doing, luckily they came out of my old Berlina so they were a direct h4 swap.

I would not recommend the change for a novice as there are many things you have to take into consideration before and when performing the conversion to HID.

Good luck with your final decision my first picture will show you the difference between the standard Halogens ® and HID's (L) on a new shape Kluger

The final Pic shows the HID's all in with the little spot/flood lights

Edited by PC XT