ABS in Sportivo

Don't know about the rest of Australia but we have had a bit of rain up here in Brissy and I was just wondering if any one had done a real emergency stop in the wet and how did the Sportivo pull up.

Tried a couple of hard stops last night but only from about 40kph the ABS worked and the car stayed straight. But I was ready and not going that fast and didn't try to steer.

Any one had any near misses being saved by the ABS EB

Personaly im not a huge fan of ABS, I can pull up sharper in a car without it, ABS encourages people to slam all on in an emergency, this is not the best way to break, ABS flicks your breaks on and of repeatedly really fast, if you are able to break in a car with no ABS right on the point before lockup you will pull up a lot shorter.

To answer your question, I have never had my ABS in the sportivo kick in.

Cheers

Blade

You must be a good driver to pull up faster without ABS. I have done some training at the Holden driver centre in a commodore that had the ability to turn it on and off.

No one did better than the ABS and if your talking about steering at the same time without ABS forget it you go staight through the cones every time. This was emergency braking at 80klms on a track.

Any one had any near misses being saved by the ABS EB

yes

2 days ago in fact..

some stupid ******* decided to change lanes into me..

gave me the big squeeze.. if not for ABS i would plughed straight into his rear passenger door..

However i was expecting him to change lanes anyway.. something i learnt from my Motorbike riding days

I don't have ABS fitted, I've found the car remains straight and stable under emergency breaking. I've had a couple of instances when the passenger side front locks up momentarily ( just for a split second ) approaching a corner a bit too quickly in the wet :ph34r: .

Edited by IZZ-FE

and if your talking about steering at the same time without ABS forget it you go staight through the cones every time. This was emergency braking at 80klms on a track.

Good point, I was talking straight line. I have never really been in a situation where I have to slam all on on a corner though 99% of the time im a defensive driver and can usually pre-empt the stupid things people do, I just ease of and give them all the room they need to be stupid, Im happy to let them kill themselves but they aint taking me with them :D

The main super-duper advantage ABS-equipped cars have over non-ABS cars is actually the ability to turn during that hard braking when the ABS system is working. Braking distance of ABS cars are actually further than a trained driver in a non-ABS car. But with ABS you can brake AND avoid the obstacle at the same time.

The Toyota Corolla Sportivo is fitted with ABS and EBD.

I have breaked hard at around 80klm at the hwy due to an idiot in front of me. The ABS and EBD fitted to the Stivo is great compared to other vehicles.

The main super-duper advantage ABS-equipped cars have over non-ABS cars is actually the ability to turn during that hard braking when the ABS system is working. Braking distance of ABS cars are actually further than a trained driver in a non-ABS car.

Correct. I posted some G-Tech readings on here ages ago (use the Search if you're interested) and found that hard braking without ABS generates higher negative G's than full emergency braking with ABS. There was actually a considerable difference in G's and braking distance from memory.

In the real world in an emergency people hit the brakes full on and skid that's why ABS was invented and becoming the standard. It's what I did in my old non ABS Camry and did $4k damage. It was on full lock and went straight into the back of a ute. Had I had ABS .... well who knows. PS watch out for stopping utes with no brake lights.

I'm only looking for someone who has done that with ABS and been saved by it.

I feel worried when I know my car stops well and I have some turd* in a sh*t box right up my clacker and I know that my boot is the only thing that's going to stop them in an emergency not their own brakes.

Trev - The only time i have enguaged ABS in the rolla has been at skidpan or motorkhana events....and all time the ABS was ROUGH AS GUTS.

Needless to say the car remained staight as a die and stopped...but it was too aggressive for my likeing it was very loud and harsh on the rotors

I agree with the others...i prefer hard braking without the ABS for better control

Trev - The only time i have enguaged ABS in the rolla has been at skidpan or motorkhana events....and all time the ABS was ROUGH AS GUTS.

Needless to say the car remained staight as a die and stopped...but it was too aggressive for my likeing it was very loud and harsh on the rotors

I agree with the others...i prefer hard braking without the ABS for better control

I tried once before. I was in a one lane road. The car in front was 4-5 car length in front of me. He was turning left into street. So, I didn't brake and keep my speed, but what the xxxx, that guy suddenly stopped fully. ~!!! :angry: And have half of the lane blocked by the tail of his car.......!!! He was giving way to the pedestrians who were already given way to him ~!! :blink::huh:

I steped as HARD as I can on the brake......I remember I was about 60-70. I was about 10 cm from his car after I fully stopped. I felt the brake pedal was shaking and have some sound, was that the ABS????

I remember my car stoped with 3 car length and no sliding.

Woh.....so lucky :rolleyes:

Edited by Cooley

I've had abs kick in a few times on me in my travels. When I first got the car I was approaching a round a bout at a considerable speed with the car in front of me nearly on the round a bout. A car came up to the RAB from the right and turned left so old mate in front of me decided to stop half on the RAB,for no reason as the car turning left indicated it was doing so. I suddenly realised the idiot in front had propped and I hit the brakes and actually locked up the LHS wheels on a smooth tar strip on the road when sudenly the ABS kicked in. It happened so quickly and had already backed peddle pressure of after hitting them so hard and pulled up with nearly a car length to spare.

My other instance was taking a mate for a spin to show the ability of the Stivo. flat in third at about 130-140 and hit the brakes with about 25 metres to make the corner. Car nosed dived rapidly and as I ripped the wheel to turn in it momentarily engaged the ABS half way through the corner and actually settled the car nicely. Caught me by surprise but made out like I meant it to happen :P

I've had the ABS kick in when traffic stopped suddenly in the wet, and it did its job perfectly.. but I suddenly became very worried about the person behind me :) Thankfully he was driving more attentively than me.

I would be very surprised if many people can stop faster with regular brakes than with ABS+EBD. With old ABS systems they only kicked in at the limit of the worst wheel, so it was easy to do better by braking just under lock. EBD means that it's braking at the limit on all wheels independantly, so it will almost always be better than regular brakes.

Not saying it can't be done, it very much depends on the situation etc.

Cheers,

- Matthew

(edit: spelling.. duh)

Edited by stauff

Its interesting that at Wakefield i don't get ABS kick in much, only when i brake really late especially when coming down a slope, and that is when the car doesn't want to stop and just understeers. I agree the ABS is only a safety device and its best not to use it for braking performance. In the snow or wet its different though..

I had used ABS in previous cars, like my Levin, but not yet in the stivo, and was kinda hoping I wasn't going to have to participate in this particular thread, but **** happens.

Thursday night coming home from New Farm (Brisbane) I made a left hand turn off Brunswick street in Fortitude Valley onto Ann Street. Now the Valley seems some unusual type of people, and one particular gentleman of around 20-25 decided to 'fall/stumble/trip/dive/crash' off the foortpath onto the roadway infront of me. Me thinks he had had too many lemonades in the cafe...

All I can say, is thanks Mr Bosch. If it weren't for ABS, Mr Wierdo would have met Mr Bridgestones...

Thursday night coming home from New Farm (Brisbane) I made a left hand turn off Brunswick street in Fortitude Valley onto Ann Street.  Now the Valley seems some unusual type of people, and one particular gentleman of around 20-25 decided to 'fall/stumble/trip/dive/crash' off the foortpath onto the roadway infront of me. Me thinks he had had too many lemonades in the cafe...

All I can say, is thanks Mr Bosch.  If it weren't for ABS, Mr Wierdo would have met Mr Bridgestones...

:lol::lol::lol: