The new FG Falcon criticized by NRMA

Aurion

The NRMA member magazine has criticized Ford's new falcon.

With Ford in trouble, they needed to prodce something that would impress. The FG is said not to be it.

If this car is going to restore glory to the Falcon name, it will be on a different planet

Ford are also confident that it will get a 5 star ANCAP rating. Although curtain airbags (Standard on EVERY aurion) are only standard on the premium models.

It is also said to be the last fully australian built falcon.

And its not even Wheels (Holdens mag) claiming that!!

Also, anyone seen there new ute? Some people here thought the VE ute looked a shocker, this one looks half american...which isn't suprising..

More at:

http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynr...d_fg_falcon.htm

Edited by Aurion

After reading the article, "slammed" is nowhere near appropriate. They rate it as a "must-drive" alternative to the Commodore, Australia's most/second-most popular new car at the moment, and the comments about it not being the right car for the times purely relate to the dying large-car market in Australia. NRMA is criticising Ford for it's decisions to make the car the way it is, not the end product itself.

I don't think the large car market will die in Australia due to the fact that people are getting fatter and bigger here in Aus unlike our European counterparts where they are more smaller/thinner etc. So there is always a market for large cars.

What we'll see is large cars taking the step of improving effeciency, going alternatives, diesels, dropping smaller capacity engines with power into these large chassis.

Yes the FG is the last fully built Australian car, the I6 is going to be dropped for the next model making way for most likely a US sourced Duratec V block, expect around 2010. Ford has to cut down on the engine ranges to improve the bottom line, and global platforms are all the buzz to saving costs.

What we'll see is large cars taking the step of improving effeciency, going alternatives, diesels, dropping smaller capacity engines with power into these large chassis.

Anyone who's driven a base-model VE has already experienced the winds of change. The agricultural 4-speeder is tuned to kick into higher gears and lock up the torque converter as soon as possible to drop the revs down and conserve precious fossil fuels....

(I don't pay for petrol in mine so I rip the shifter back to 3rd or 2nd to overtake people, or just for kicks :lol: )

I've driven a new VE Clubsport. Surprisingly refined, smooth and quiet. I do recommend you drive one before passing judgement.

I do like the look of the Ford Falcon G6E Turbo. Luxury and 13 second qtr mile performance for that price! Personally I think the locally built cars Toyota, Holden and Ford inclusive have much to offer over imports and hopefully they won't all go down the same path as Mitsubishi Aus.

Yep looking forward to test driving teh Turbo 6s from Ford 270kw 550nm of torque :P, The only downside to me in teh new FG range is the interior and that the body still looks too much like BF...

Toyota/Holden/Ford Aus should not go the same patch as Mitsubishi as long they build global platforms here in Aus, Holden exports commies to MiddleEast and US under pontiac, Toyota ... no question there. And Ford are pulling the Focus production here in Aus! and hopefully the Falcon will become like the commie, unfortunately our strong dollar adds to the debate...

I've driven a new VE Clubsport. Surprisingly refined, smooth and quiet. I do recommend you drive one before passing judgement.

I do like the look of the Ford Falcon G6E Turbo. Luxury and 13 second qtr mile performance for that price! Personally I think the locally built cars Toyota, Holden and Ford inclusive have much to offer over imports and hopefully they won't all go down the same path as Mitsubishi Aus.

Yeah well drive an Omega version of it, and then drive the baseline Aurion and see the difference. The VE's (lower models) are an absolute piece of $hit, this is coming from a previous staunch Holden fan. Even the SV6's have nothin on the Aurion SX6 and ZR6's.

drove my uncles new ve ss in man.. all i can say is it really lacks something performance wise (alot of smart ****s will comment on this) not quite sure what it is i really expected alot more from the 6L, needs more torque maybe?? but it is very different from the previous models with 5.7l..

i have been told that the clubsport and gts is a lot better, but how much better to actually make a difference??

Edited by $ANGELO$

I drove a new SV6 (demonstrator) before I bought my SX6. It drove alright if you don't pay attention to the engine vibration through the steering wheel and in the cabin. I think i could feel every part of the engine from the drivers seat, through the wheel, pedels & seat. Not a nice quiet ride that I was expecting. I guess it is suppose to be a performance 6 but really I had expected better.

Not to mention the salesperson having to hold onto the AC/Radio plastic facier to stop the rattle and also lean on the passengers side door so stop the trim vibrating against the door frame. I haven't driven the falcon yet but I might give one a go - just for fun.

drove my uncles new ve ss in man.. all i can say is it really lacks something performance wise (alot of smart ****s will comment on this) not quite sure what it is i really expected alot more from the 6L, needs more torque maybe?? but it is very different from the previous models with 5.7l..

i have been told that the clubsport and gts is a lot better, but how much better to actually make a difference??

I agree it's quite typical when Holden started using the American V8's, they really don't drive the way you would expect such as large v8 to do so, they feel quite lame in everyday driving.

A TRD Aurion feels much more punchy in everyday driving.

I can imagine a base Omega would feel like shiete being a crappy v6 and 4 speed auto.

I have a friend who was a Toyota Engineer and now is at Holden, and he tells me of his and others dissappointment of the higher up management not being willing to bring in the better more efficient engine's that GM has in other parts of the world and instead continue to use yestertech big v8's and a V6 engine that looks ok on paper, but in reality is harsh and unrefined.

Kudos for Toyota for having such a terrific engine.

Yeah well drive an Omega version of it, and then drive the baseline Aurion and see the difference. The VE's (lower models) are an absolute piece of $hit, this is coming from a previous staunch Holden fan. Even the SV6's have nothin on the Aurion SX6 and ZR6's.

Likewise here... I was soooo disappointed with the SV6, a very rough and noisy ride. Not to mention the front end clunk when turning - car only had 75kms on dash. Berlina was a little quieter, and Calais was cool from outside but disappointing a ride and inside. Settled for the Presara, no regrets. I used to be a Holden fan, parted with my VSII Calais only a few months ago, I'd had it for 10 years. Someone mentioned the word "agricultural" in association with the new commodore, SPOT ON!

Holden disappointed me and lost me as a fan. I had to look elsewhere. I'm a Toyota convert now.

lol thats the GM way of things for you, need more performance, lets up the displacement.

Funny though, recent announcements have Holden opting Diesel and Hybrid models for 2010 commodore likewise with Falcon. Looks like their getting on board with the alternative fuel wagon, Im guessing all to do with their dwindling profit making.