Cleaning Engine Bay - Hints, Tips, Products?

RME1

Hello all....yes i'm at work, and abusing internet usage....as usual - anywayz, i was just wondering about the car wash functions these days. I saw a function 'degreaser/engine bay clear' - pretty mcuh spray and hose down....but what if you have a CAI? .... :blink: Do any of you ladies or gents go to the car wash and use the engine cleaning function?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second that. When ever I wash my car, I usually get under the bonnet with 2 rags, one damp one and a dry one.....then use some elbow grease....

I am just a little concerned about spraying stuff around the engine bay....

I went a few weeks ago and used that lol

i tried to wash it but not very good i couldnt handle the pressure thing :lol:

evrytime i pressed it id almost lose control :lol:

so yeah i dont know if the stuff is good for the eingine bay i dont relly care coz i have an old car ..

I have seen people cleaning the engine bay in car lover using the high pressure gun...but first you have to wrap up some parts with plastic bag......but i don't know where, I actually want to clean it too, cos mine is very dirty compare to you guy's..... :(

So, does anyone know where we have to cover up before we use the water jet to clean the engine bay?

well they steam clean it dont they? Or a hi pressure AIR hose blow all the dust and rubbish away

If u wanna take off dust and rubbish just use a vacum cleaner lol .. woooooooo :lol:

Serious? but you cant get into those tight spots! The air hoses work well

yeah there was a guy next to me at the carwash a few weeks ago who was washing under the bonnet, and at the end, i saw him pull out a plastic bag.. i didnt think much of it, but it makes sense he was protecting something... dunno what... maybe a pod filter (it was a pretty hectic car :P)

i need to clean my engine bay though, its as filthty as the rest of my car! (i still havent washed it since the meet)

yah, i heard people said use plastic bag to wrap up the electrical parts...but i don't know which is which under the bonnet..haha...if someone could show us a photo, that would be great.... :) by the way, mine is just a stock 1ZZFE.... :unsure:

Hello all....yes i'm at work, and abusing internet usage....as usual - anywayz, i was just wondering about the car wash functions these days. I saw a function 'degreaser/engine bay clear' - pretty mcuh spray and hose down....but what if you have a CAI? .... :blink: Do any of you ladies or gents go to the car wash and use the engine cleaning function?

hey mate..i think the good old damp cloth in hand method is still the best way to go..just wipe thru anything that can is dirty..degreaser to get rid of the tough spots..wiping thru with a damp cloth..and amorall for anything plastic after..and ur engine bay will shine and be as gd as new ;)

i dont know if its worth it...

i have to drive into my old school every tuesday now, and everytime i do, its going to get dirty again cos its all dirt up the back where i go...

i might stop going there so i can wash my car and keep it clean...

Its up to you guys .. but sounds dodgy with a plastic bag ....

just spend 30 mins and clean it with your hands !!!!! ...

and tom - Clean your freakin car !!! ...

True water under the hood is not the best thing!

It cost arouns 30bucks to get it done at the mechanics i think, they use degreaser and cover up all the fragile parts. :D

If a mechanic would do that for 30 bucks, i'll let him do it then, at least he knows what he's doing, instead of me having no idea at all..lol....

have never had an issue...

1. open hood and spray water in to get rid of excess dirt and dust

2. spray degresser on metal surfaces

3. spray with water off

4. tyre foam every where to make your engine have a christmas setting.

5. chamois off after a while..

engine bay shines and have never had an issue.. and cai is shielded to an extent..

3. spray with water off

engine bay shines and have never had an issue.. and cai is shielded to an extent..

No Plastic bag?

ummm what a the repercussions of NOT cleaning your engine bay.... thats one area ive never cleaned... EVER (cars about 2.5 years old now)

Im assuming the mechanics at Toyota cleaned it or something during the services... or is that wishful thinking?

3. spray with water off

No Plastic bag?

No plastic bag,, your not spraying that much liquid into the engine bay hence even if a small amount makes it to your filter on the CAI its not going to make it up the piping... only note is if you have an aftermarket alarm i believe you will need to bag that and also if you have coilover you need to ensure not to get fluid down the top mounts..

3. spray with water off

No Plastic bag?

No plastic bag,, your not spraying that much liquid into the engine bay hence even if a small amount makes it to your filter on the CAI its not going to make it up the piping... only note is if you have an aftermarket alarm i believe you will need to bag that and also if you have coilover you need to ensure not to get fluid down the top mounts..

ic...Thanks :)

But what's the CAI you guys talk about all the time?

Just talked to a mechanic yesterday, he said it's not a good idea to spray water into the engine bay, the result can be unpredictable....but make sure wrap up the "alternator"????

:)

3. spray with water off

No Plastic bag?

COLD AIR INTAKE = CAI! you definatly dont want water getting in there! that will mean water straight into the valves&cylinders depending on how much water of course!

ic...Thanks :)

But what's the CAI you guys talk about all the time?

Just talked to a mechanic yesterday, he said it's not a good idea to spray water into the engine bay, the result can be unpredictable....but make sure wrap up the "alternator"????

:)