Cleaning Engine Bay - Hints, Tips, Products?

RME1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently washed my engine.

I went to the nearest car wash, I waited till the engine was cool, I covered my pod with a plastic shopping bag, lightly went over the engine bay with the car wash engine/tyre cleaner (my engine bay was already fairly clean, if a bit dirty may be advisable to use some engine degreaser) with care to avoid wetting the fuse box and other electrics, Then hose off using the high pressure clean, but don't pull the trigger, just use the low pressure until all the soap/degreaser is removed.

Then dry off most surfaces with a crappy chamous, presto all clean :D

hrm tempting to clean the engine bay.. i think i mite stick with the old rag method.. haha

knowing me i prob forget to wrap something up..

*bzzzz.. bzzz* whats that blue spark flying across the engine bay? looks pretty..

*kaboom* :help:

hrm tempting to clean the engine bay.. i think i mite stick with the old rag method.. haha

*bzzzz.. bzzz* whats that blue spark flying across the engine bay? looks pretty..

or u could send me a text abt it to get it done :spiteful:

or u could send me a text abt it to get it done :spiteful:

lol i dont hv a deep pocket bro :P

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't touch the spray on engine cleaners with a 10 foot pole now.

My first car was a 1992 Celica SX, and one day I decided to give the engine bay a "clean". Driving home from the car wash, the alternator light starting flashing below 2000rpm. After work, I went to drive home and it wouldn't start. So I called the RACV, and they jump started me and just told me the battery was flat, and to drive around a bit to recharge it before replacing it. Well then the alternator was working overtime and overcharged the battery, and blew a brake light bulb. Then I had to replace the alternator because it stopped working due to being overheated.

All because one bloody car wash! I'm not risking that again. I'll just sticking to using a few rags.

Also, s couple of other people I know have had belt slippage after doing the same thing, causign that horrible high pitched sqealing noise that stayed for about 4 days.

Personally if you DO NOT have a great mechanical knowledge then don't wash your engine. The story above indicates to me that you blasted too much water into the alternator and when it started you shorted out the voltage regualtor which then overcharged and cooked your battery.

If you aren't confident then get a professional detailer or mechanic to do it. If something then goes wrong they are then obliged to rectify it.

• 5 weeks later...
Personally if you DO NOT have a great mechanical knowledge then don't wash your engine. The story above indicates to me that you blasted too much water into the alternator and when it started you shorted out the voltage regualtor which then overcharged and cooked your battery.

If you aren't confident then get a professional detailer or mechanic to do it. If something then goes wrong they are then obliged to rectify it.

that's a bit harsh, don't you think? just because a little bit of water gets into your alternator when washing the engine doesn't mean you're an idiot and shouldn't touch your car with a ten foot pole. it can happen to anyone

• 5 months later...

hi

this is my first time and dont know my way around as yet

but i want to seek help in finding an owners manual ( if possible also a maintenace manual )

for a toyota ipsum 2001 ( 240 u).

can u help me to a site where i can download it cost free?

thanks

?

did that have anything to do with cleaning the engine bay?

try the search tool in this forum....u'd be surprised at how many times its been covered.

welcome to the forum ;)