opinions on laptop

da68za

been offered a thinkpad R61e with intel cel 1.86cpu, 120hdd, 2gb ram, dvd writer and xp pro for $803 delivered .

now i just wont it for the wife to use for her work and basic computing (picture storing)and surfing when we go away (mobil broadband )

if you do look at dell laptops, don't buy it on the spot. If you've time, surf the site for a couple of weeks because they have different promotions every other week

also worth noting for the Dell's is if you're a motorclub member (RACQ, RACV, NRMA etc) you can get a discount coupon for 5, 10, 15% off the different inspirons etc here: http://www.dell.com.au/racq

or if you're a bigpond member, go here: http://www.dell.com.au/bigpond2

Regardless of brand, get something with an onsite warranty. Beats the hell out of having to return the product to a shop for repair etc.

you've really got to spec the crap out of an XPS laptop to get it to $2500 to get the 25% discount...

Add a 27" ultrasharp and it's not too hard though :P

Well u can get 10/15% off if u buy less or u could get this Dell Vostro 1500 notebook. 2.1Ghz C2D, 3gig, 160GB, 256meg Graphics, BT, 9 cell,

$1135 delivered

Well u can get 10/15% off if u buy less or u could get this Dell Vostro 1500 notebook. 2.1Ghz C2D, 3gig, 160GB, 256meg Graphics, BT, 9 cell,

$1135 delivered

$803 is my limit , guess im looking at the ibm more as want to at least get 5 years out of it .

Also i dont want vista and this is one of the few remaining with xp pro .

My first pc was a ibm and you couldn't kill it , even survived me kicking it one night (smashed all the front panel and start switch :-( had to use a chop stick to turn it on after that ) but still worked for another 3 years .

Not as nice looking but have a look at the Base Model Dell's.

Better intel chip, faster, just not as nice looking.

These are around $700ex

Iknow a few people with dells and it seems to me like you either get a good one or one with the odd problem . As for looks , doesn't bother me .

I wouldn't buy any laptop with a pentium or AMD CPU. Go the centrino as a minimum, if you can stretch to a Core2 then it should last a long time before requiring replacement.

i work at the laptop factory outlet in south granville and i know you dont like vista but we have a NEC M370 core 2 duo 2.0ghz 1GB ram and a 120GB hard drive and wireless bluetooth webcam and dual layer dvd burner for $899 and vista business. and also comes with 1 year nec on-site warranty. i know this must sound like im trying to advertise the thing but i seriously and honestly think it is a very good deal. i work with DELL heaps and i must say there made by indians. thats all i got to say. dont go dell.

stay as far away as possible from Celeron processors. They may look appealing but they are cr ap in temrs of performance. I would suggest you get a Dell with core 2 duo at the very least, they would cost around $900 and they will last for years. IBM laptops are among the most expensive on the market.. sinan's offer sounds good as well :)

I thought Celeron processors died out years ago? The only reason I'd upgrade to Vista is for Pixel Shader 2.0, that's about it though. I doubt it would run the games that would utilize it anyway.

However, no laptop is complete without the 'Danger to Manifold' screensaver, especially if you use the laptop for car tuning.

Additionally, be sure to leave a box full of bolts in the glove box of your car, so they can spray out everywhere, and somehow miraculously cause the floorpan to come loose and fly off in a cascade of sparks.

I thought Celeron processors died out years ago? The only reason I'd upgrade to Vista is for Pixel Shader 2.0, that's about it though. I doubt it would run the games that would utilize it anyway.

However, no laptop is complete without the 'Danger to Manifold' screensaver, especially if you use the laptop for car tuning.

Additionally, be sure to leave a box full of bolts in the glove box of your car, so they can spray out everywhere, and somehow miraculously cause the floorpan to come loose and fly off in a cascade of sparks.

You've been watching too many movies Nelson.

i have been looking for laptop through ebay.. not sure if this is a good choice.. sometime i saw they really end in good price..

For exp: P4 Duo Core 1.6? 1.7?, 1gb ram, 120gb, 15" screen.. for just around $550 Acer Aspire~

Well, mayb i will go ebay every morning to look if i can get a cheap deal~~

I wouldn't buy a laptop or anything of high value off ebay because the seller generally disappear after the sale is completed so if you ever have any issue with the product you'd be stuck.. Manufacturers often do not provide support for products sold on eBay even though sellers always say the products come with such and such warranty. You would better off going to BIG retailers such as DSE, HM or the likes to buy computers as they do have good customer service. A few years ago I bought a computer from DSE, I took it home and felt it wasn't really what I was looking for, I then brought it back to the store for an exchange which I got with no question asked, I wouldn't have been able to do it had I bought it off ebay or local computer shops. Dell is also a good place to get cheap computers :)

reason is, i am a desktop-guy, i prefer/love using desktop. When my girlfriend asked for a laptop, i would compare the spec and the amount of money.. With same amount of money, u can get a close to x2 performance on desktop compare with laptop..

thats why i am soo reluctant to spend more than $600 on laptop.. (althou the desktop cost me much more than that, shhh dont tell her ><")

yes, i know laptop can be brought around~ and play games during lecture.. but.. i still cant get over it.. argg

LOL look alright,

just get my laptop like i said before LOL

its way cool - its a tablet pc, and the screen flips and sh!t also got that finger swipe thingo

o9jtp5.jpg

as u can see LOL i love my oishi tea

anyways if ur looking for a laptop, i know this cheap place in liverpool - its stolen goods i think

u can get brand new laptops for 800

Edited by mrs.sportivo

i work at the laptop factory outlet in south granville and i know you dont like vista but we have a NEC M370 core 2 duo 2.0ghz 1GB ram and a 120GB hard drive and wireless bluetooth webcam and dual layer dvd burner for $899 and vista business. and also comes with 1 year nec on-site warranty. i know this must sound like im trying to advertise the thing but i seriously and honestly think it is a very good deal. i work with DELL heaps and i must say there made by indians. thats all i got to say. dont go dell.

Thanks will keep that in mind

stay as far away as possible from Celeron processors. They may look appealing but they are cr ap in temrs of performance. I would suggest you get a Dell with core 2 duo at the very least, they would cost around $900 and they will last for years. IBM laptops are among the most expensive on the market.. sinan's offer sounds good as well :)

Yes i went to tricky dicky yesterday and had a play with some of them and yes , will not be getting a celeron as blo ody hell there slow .

Aggghhhhh ok ?? ;)

You've been watching too many movies Nelson.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

reason is, i am a desktop-guy, i prefer/love using desktop. When my girlfriend asked for a laptop, i would compare the spec and the amount of money.. With same amount of money, u can get a close to x2 performance on desktop compare with laptop..

thats why i am soo reluctant to spend more than $600 on laptop.. (althou the desktop cost me much more than that, shhh dont tell her ><")

yes, i know laptop can be brought around~ and play games during lecture.. but.. i still cant get over it.. argg

Oh it not going to replace my desktop ,,,, built my own 4 years ago and its still faster than any you can buy in a shop :spiteful:

LOL look alright,

just get my laptop like i said before LOL

its way cool - its a tablet pc, and the screen flips and sh!t also got that finger swipe thingo

o9jtp5.jpg

as u can see LOL i love my oishi tea

anyways if ur looking for a laptop, i know this cheap place in liverpool - its stolen goods i think

u can get brand new laptops for 800

My sister has a toshi , loves it . As for the :ph34r: hot top :ph34r: no thanks ........

Going to take the wife out today to have a look and play as in the end she will use it more than me ..