FASTER THAN R50 V10 TWIN TURBO VW TOE RAG! (AWD KX-S Kluger) 7.10 seconds 0-100kph (+ FJ Cruiser) 6.84 seconds 0-100kph V6=Don Mega!!!!

RICE RACING

Peter,

I wish I was as knowledgeable as you with cars. Would love my kluger to sound like your FJ :) but I don't the knowledge, time and money; and probably money is what I have the least LOL..

Thought of starting an 86 Project?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Boleh,

My whole adult life has been around performance cars, so have learned a thing or two in the last 22 years :)

I might go test drive one of those 86's, but really I already have one sports car, and the FJ fits all other requirements. Best thing I love about my FJ is that people really are in shock when they hear it blast past them like they are standing still.............. it has so much character and presence ! *and performance*

I reckon the perfect engine for new 86 the mighty 4.0v6 or even a 3.5,but being rwd it would have to be 4.0v6 with the supercharger like the one on old trd hilux, that thing would be a real car then, no little buzz box, I reckon you get 0 100 in the 4 second region but like you mate I would prefer a mans car like the fj, I reckon I should get a job at toyota, designing there cars ha ha ha :lol:

So I have experimented a few tank fulls using the 100 octane (United) 10% Ethanol fuel, and there for sure is a difference in the Air Fuel Ratio at full power (to the better) and a corresponding increase in engine performance (seat of pants to date testing). I ran this fuel when I was up in the snow @ the camping trip photo's and it seems to work o.k.

I checked the Toyota engine specs for the 2011 and the motors parts and fuel system are engineered to run up to E20 blended fuel (higher base fuel pressure) RICH base tuning! as I have documented already and also different plastic fuel rail, pressure regulator treatments and for the damper to make them tollerant to ethanol mixes of fuels.

I'll refill with this stuff on my next tank full and redo the 0-100kmh test and rwkw output and see what the actual increase in performance is and post up here when done *couple of weeks*.

I reckon the perfect engine for new 86 the mighty 4.0v6 or even a 3.5,but being rwd it would have to be 4.0v6 with the supercharger like the one on old trd hilux, that thing would be a real car then, no little buzz box, I reckon you get 0 100 in the 4 second region but like you mate I would prefer a mans car like the fj, I reckon I should get a job at toyota, designing there cars ha ha ha :lol:

I had a bit of a look at the 86 ont the toyota web site and I reckon they look great, I know I said I prefer mans car etc, but I was only being cheecky , what I meant by what I said was I was surprised they didnt bring one out with a bigger more powerfull engine,so Im sorry to all you guys who like them, its being a while since toyota brought out a sports car, I wonder if they will bring back supra or bring out somthing like the lexus Isf , but at toyota prices not lexus, to tell you the truth I have always had a soft spot for hot hatches, I wonder if toyota will back corolla sportivo, anyway we will hope see.

Well I did some testing today! and the FJ on BP Ultimate is officially faster than my old Kluger :) :) :)

I did 3 back to back runs of 7.06 seconds 0-100kmh, 7.31 seconds (wheel spin! @ start TOO EXCITED) and finally on my last run 6.96 seconds!!!!!!!!!!! all photo proof below.

ricefjvbox0001.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-07

ricefjvbox0004.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-07

ricefjvbox0003.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-07

ricefjvbox0002.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-07

ricefjvbox0006.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-07

Comparison to other best accel run at same weight spec, more power = more acceleration :) this is as a result of the tweaks I did to the MAF and trimming out the AFR @ full load.

ricefjvbox0005.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-07

The beast is showing 185rwkw!!! on my measure

Test condition 12pm

11 deg C (Ambient)

17 to 20 deg C air box temp (all three 0-100kmh tests)

~15 to 17lt of fuel in tank (min weight spec test)

I will from this base line put in the United 100 octane fuel and run at the same weight and weather and location and see the difference and post back as promised :)

Today & Yesterday setting various software options my VBOX3 for an upcoming interstate tuning trip I did no fewer than 25!!! 0-100kph calibration tests and 2 full x 0-400 meter tests, combined with a fair bit of stop starting and idle time setting (note: large level of engine heat soak!) my data logger and Lap Top.

As a side note the 0-100kph times varied from a best (starting from cold and 10km drive to the first test location) of 7.74 seconds (with a two way average of 7.75 seconds!) on half tank of 91 octane fuel carrying some extra gear to a worst Today *after 10 runs prior setting up equipment* then laying down 8.26 seconds in what is basically the worst conditions to run a performance type test (ran 8.25, 8.26, 8.28 back to back to back no cool down between with hot inlet manifold) *basically on a fully heat soaked engine* and ambient temp of 20 deg C........ after a small cool down driving to the next test location it then ran 7.94 & 15.96 @ 141.92kph time, and on the return run (30 seconds time from first test *turn around and run down other way*) 8.01 seconds & 16.04 @ 140.20kph 400m time.

So the Kluger even when in pretty much the lowest quality fuel, the engine having been tested all day, and everything quite hot will still crack a 15 sec 400m time and never do worse than a 8.3sec 0-100km time ohmy.gif it's nothing short of amazing ! I was expecting to see a greater drop off in performance on the low octane fuel and in the punishing testing schedule.

So there it is:

Best of 7.15 seconds (two way average) on 5 deg cold morning with higher quality fuel (95 and 98)

Below are all normal take off's, just stand on accelerator with no foot on brake etc & gearbox left in D

Follow up 2+ months later with 91 oct cheapo fuel of 7.75 seconds 2 way average.

And an absolute worst of 8.26 seconds (three way average) on an extremely heat soaked engine, followed up by 7.94 seconds after a short cool down drive, again on cheapo 91 octane.

^ Still faster than a Toerag anyway you look at it :clap: ^

^ This was the summary of many tests on my Kluger on page 4 btw...

O.K. I filled it with 62 lt of United 100 octane (10% Ethanol)

Increase in car test weight (going to work, carrying more stuff and fuel) is +53kg (all accounted for in power calculations :)

Anyway the FJ def makes more power on the 100 Octane fuel, tested in same location (see graph) and its around 5 to 7 rwkw more power.

Time is slower @ 7.20 seconds *but not much* (full weight test) which is still amazing, lots faster than my old Kluger when tested @ full tank. The power was showing at peak around 192rwkw!!!!!

When the tank goes down to same level I'll test at the lower weight and see how fast it is at its best setting.

united100octpower.jpg

Here is a link to a supercharged FJ Cruiser, tested at 1500m altitude, and that robs a big chunk of power, probably increases times by around 0.5 seconds.

Either way my FJ is faster :) good to see there is someone else in the world who uses VBOX gear to verify actual performance of these vehicles ;)

For your Aural Stimulation............... can't beat a mildly tuned V6 for character OR performance.

7.26 seconds 0-100kmh, full tank, normal take off :)

I might test her again now that its a bit more run in and the weather is nice and cool, very sure on 1/4 tank fuel it would do a high 6 seconds 0-100kmh time , manual shifting the gearbox and "spooling it up a bit" before a take off.............

My prediction was right ^ :)

Interesting what you've done.

I just read through from the very first page.

About theKluger as i only skim read through it.

What mods were done for you to achieve the 0-100 in 7.1 secs?

Interesting what you've done.

I just read through from the very first page.

About theKluger as i only skim read through it.

What mods were done for you to achieve the 0-100 in 7.1 secs?

Zero mods to engine. Just running Mobil 1 0w-30 engine oil.

That test was done with the spare tire taken off, cargo mat missing, no tools, jack, etc *weight was listed 1974kg as tested* and on a 5degC morning, best ever time setting. All other averages were around the ~7.5 second mark at full weight and standard temperature and pressure days, as detailed.

Kluger was a quick SUV, and very efficient too.

Quoted from page 3 (up to page 9 even more test info)

Well last bit of VBOX testing, filled car to the brim with 65.5lt of 98 Ultimate today still had testing gear hooked so on way home made a diversion and did a simple test

0-100kph *box left in drive & just stand on gas, TC on* (temp 19 deg C, 1005kpa low pressure day, altitude 25 meters, heat soaked engine after sitting in servo fueling up)

7.65 seconds.

So there it is, I did more testing than I should have but can 100% say that 7.65 is the absolute slowest she will do fully laden up, and when low on fuel 1/4 tank and in colder conditions she will put down 7.10~7.20 region for the above speed test.

Hope I have not bored you all too much biggrin.gif

Edited by RICE RACING

So here is a simple back to back of how much better I made my FJ Cruiser. *along with dates of tests and reports*

Same road, same time of year, same weather condition, valid comparisons for actual gains of mods, power increase = performance increases = WINNING ! :)

Test one is at full tank of fuel after 1,000km run in

(8.81 seconds) *allot of wheel spin at start (wet patch), see delta times to use best take off from last test -0.47 seconds still makes it 8.34 seconds 100% stock standard

155rwkw peak power (averages between test lines shown in report below (around 146rwkw)

Last test is at full tank, total run weight within 7kg 15,000km on vehicle

(7.20 seconds) 1.14 seconds faster to 100kmh if you take the best take off from this run and apply it to the first test to equalize take off difference.

192rwkw peak power (averages between test lines shown in report (around 174rwkw)

+1.10 seconds reduction in 0-100kmh time !

+28rwkw average power gain across rpm range (36.4kw or 48.9bhp)

stockvricemodtests.jpg

Edited by RICE RACING

After 1,000km run in totally standard AWD KX-S did 8.07 seconds on same road same conditions, so compared to the FJ (less wheel spin 8.34 seconds) they were pretty much the same I'd say especially if the Kluger had a full tank of fuel too......

The FJ Cruiser did take very well to the minor tweaks I did to its MAF sensor and also the air box, it needed this as it is set up from the factory to be compatible with up to 20% Ethanol, so the air fuel mixture unlike the Kluger was very rich! and this was killing the power!!! also the factory air box was STUPIDLY restrictive, which I fixed as detailed before.

OK VBOX3 figures :yahoo:

First is of a speed check, 100kph on speed = about 96km actual speed on my KX-S AWD Klugie

klugrice7vq9.jpg

Next I COULD NOT RESIST! 0-100kph test unsure.gif had to see if I broke in engine good and if it has advertised power

** My Kluger had well over 1/2 tank of fuel, has tow bar and extras that makes it heavier than normal ** This was my first attempt. Showing test road start, and pull up after end of test and photo of figure :clap:

8.07 seconds ! 0-100kph distance covered 128.89 meters

klugrice8px3.jpg

klugrice9mz7.jpg

klugrice10la8.jpg

I will do my service now and put in the new Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and also let the tank go down to a 1/4 and remove all extra crap out of the vehicle tongue.gif

I have no doubt it will crack a 7 sec 0-100 time! which is better than the other VBOX official test figure, lol is a heap better right now biggrin.gif

Looks like my break in method has worked though, not used one ounce of oil and with driving like a total maniac now and a crap load of idling (listening to all injectors and bearings with my Automotive stethoscope) and 1st gear crawling around the farm for 10km its at 11.6lt per 100km! I cant believe it ohmy.gif

Edited by RICE RACING

Time for a shift kit......which means the engine is still stock :) Ill bet there's nearly half a seconds worth there.....plus less heat in the trans.

I've hit up Mike at MV Autos in SA to have a look at the valve body. Nothing a few bits of stainless pipe and heavy srprings can't fix.

Time for a shift kit......which means the engine is still stock :) Ill bet there's nearly half a seconds worth there.....plus less heat in the trans.

I've hit up Mike at MV Autos in SA to have a look at the valve body. Nothing a few bits of stainless pipe and heavy srprings can't fix.

Hook a brother up !!! :)

If it makes a difference send him a link to here, I'm good to test it ;) and document the improvements :)

p.s. Got the bad boy down to 1/4 tank and it just flat out hauls!, I mean really pins you back for a big slut of a 4WD that it is, I just love it, got a feeling it will do 6.8's ???as is on a cool morning.... I know my Mobil 1 5w-50 (Lexus LFA spec motor oil cost me a few bhp so I have some ENEOS 5w-40 on order and in a few weeks will drop the Mobil and see the difference the lower viscosity in premo Jap brand will offer

Eitherway the FJ Crusier is just stupid, IMHO it's 1 full second faster than the much heralded Toyota 86 LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I did three runs this morning back to back @ the lowest fuel weight 2010kg all up test.

This is on the United 100 octane. Still using the Mobil 1 5w-50 engine oil

6.96 seconds (yes! repeat of my fastest ever run, but this time on united 100oct)

7.04 seconds (would have been 6.90 if not for wheel spin on take off)

7.02 seconds (final run of morning)

So 3 runs all within 5 minutes time frame and spread of 0.08 seconds, that is consistent ......... and just hard core in my books.

Average peak power in 2nd gear is 184rwkw @ peak. Next oil change I will try the ENEOS 5w-40 oil and see if there is a performance & power advantage.

Edited by RICE RACING

• 1 month later...

I reached my goal, consistent sub 7 second 0-100kmh times and it does it by a long way.

I fitted up the ENEOS 5w-40 engine oil and ran 2 separate tests.

The first one was on my non ideal test track and it did

0-100kmh in 6.78 seconds

In mild disbelief I decided to test again the next morning on the std test track...

0-100kmh in 6.84 seconds!

in imperial units > 0-60mph in 6.49 seconds

Still to go is to drop in the RS*R Ran Up engine treatment. The engine oil accounted for about +3rwkw to +4 rwkw power gain (187.5rwkw peak) over the Mobil 1 5w-50 it replaced, but of more interest is it seems to have more mid range power? anyway the power curves are but one measure the proof is in the performance measure which you CAN'T cheat or falsify and it have given me a minimum of 0.12 seconds improvement in the 0-100kmh time.... which I am amazed at really.

I'll post up the graphs and pictures later on.

VBOX3i Report inc average power between test lines, and acceleration G's (both GPS and Accelerometer)

684secondseneosdonmega.jpg

eneos684sec.jpg

Screen display of test (I knew it was a fast one!) Full verfied with height over run in above VBOX report

img4416donmega.jpg

Previous days run (did not believe it was this fast so rechecked above! still a FAST time!)

img4408donmega.jpg

The BEAST!

img4411donmega.jpg

Edited by RICE RACING

Basically increased the stock performance by 20+ percent with very minor tweaks, no big money spent.

Parts tally

1 x TRD air filter

1 x Megan racing cat back exhaust

***Less than $500 spend!***

* The rest, just pure research and step by step testing and mods to the existing platform (air box restriction eliminated, air flow path enhanced, Air Flow Meter modified), each step closely verified and proven.

Unlike most of the crap on the internet and scam sales for thousands of dollars of parts in ECU's, superchargers, headers, after market cold air induction kits etc etc etc etc.... This is backed up with real before and after testing, not just a token worthless power graph either, but a real measure that correlates 100% with reality (time and distance taken to do work). 20% power increase over stock = 20% reduction in time and distance and also a 20% increase in force you feel and measure :) it does not get any simpler or better than that :)

• 3 months later...

Peter,

I wish I was as knowledgeable as you with cars. Would love my kluger to sound like your FJ smile.png but I don't the knowledge, time and money; and probably money is what I have the least LOL..

Thought of starting an 86 Project?

No need the FJ is much more class than a 86, sounds better, goes much harder :)

Ithink the 86 looks great,but would like somthing with a bit more muscle,I quess im a bit of a petrol head, but its a pity toyota dont bring somthing to match the GTR skyline, somthing with a big v6 with twin turbos ,maybe bring back the supra, but I guess they know the market more than me.

Wanted to type (it was mentioned in another thread) about the Toyota "rattle" from the VVTI system on a cold start. Common to Kluger and FJ.

I prescribed a simple procedure to blip the engine twice from idle to just under 2000rpm in sucession before shutting it off for either the day or an extended storage time.

Since doing this (I have been so for almost a year now) not once have I ever herd that rattle from the VVTi system being low on oil on first start up. Its a procedure that works :) and is simple, and makes allot of sense, its keeping oil (due to the higher pressure and flow, the 2 blips achieve *shut down engine as revs fall to 1500rpm or so).

If anyone wants to they can try it ;) causes no harm only good to the motor :)

Nice work Peter. Just enjoyed reading through all 19 pages of that awesome truck!, oh and seiko watches. I've had the same Seiko divers automatic for 22 years and has seen the jewllers once for a clean, never misses a beat!

I'd love to buy an FJ, but I have 2 young kids. So after a few sleepless nights and reading through brochures, I've signed up for a new kluger. Was a great car to drive but I still haven't found any makers of performance parts yet, such as extractors.

• 8 months later...

Nice work Peter. Just enjoyed reading through all 19 pages of that awesome truck!, oh and seiko watches. I've had the same Seiko divers automatic for 22 years and has seen the jewllers once for a clean, never misses a beat!

I'd love to buy an FJ, but I have 2 young kids. So after a few sleepless nights and reading through brochures, I've signed up for a new kluger. Was a great car to drive but I still haven't found any makers of performance parts yet, such as extractors.

I am glad you like the thread, lots of people contact me about it through various channels.

The FJ is just a beast! I love it, best car I have ever owned.... and its very fast too. Something no one expects from a true 4WD like this.

To give you an idea in transient acceleration (common zones) quoted in mags, 60kmh to 100kmh takes about 3.67 seconds, this is a couple of seconds faster than 'sport coupes' LOL

On a more hard core test like 90kmh to 135kmh it will do this increment in 6.24 seconds! (sort of what you do in real world to over take cars safely on highway/freeway)

By comparison a Spirit R Type A RX7 (280bhp and 1250kg car!) will do this in 5.06 seconds (all measured by me on a VBOX3i top end analysis machine.

These are the greatest engines on earth, very powerful and efficient, great set up's put lots of other cars to shame out in the real world.

Edited by RICE RACING

• 4 months later...