FASTER THAN R50 V10 TWIN TURBO VW TOE RAG! (AWD KX-S Kluger) 7.10 seconds 0-100kph (+ FJ Cruiser) 6.84 seconds 0-100kph V6=Don Mega!!!!

RICE RACING

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

.I LOVE YOUR FJ MATE IM SO JEALOUS I WANTED A FJ CRUISER BEFORE I BOUGHT THE KLUGER BUT BUDGET DIDNT QUIET STRETCH ARE WELL ONE DAY . :g: THOSE 4 LITRE V6 ENGINES KICK *****. I HAD ONE IN MY OLD PRADO AND IT WAS STOCK AND IT WAS PUSHING A BIG HEAVY PRADO A LONG AND IT WENT LIKE A SCALDED CAT :toast: THE FJ IS BASED ON THE PRADO SO ITS A GREAT PLATFORM TO BASE A VECHICLE ON. I MISS MY OLD PRADO ARE WELL NO POINT CRYING OVER SPILT MILK :nono:

.I LOVE YOUR FJ MATE IM SO JEALOUS I WANTED A FJ CRUISER BEFORE I BOUGHT THE KLUGER BUT BUDGET DIDNT QUIET STRETCH ARE WELL ONE DAY . :g: THOSE 4 LITRE V6 ENGINES KICK *****. I HAD ONE IN MY OLD PRADO AND IT WAS STOCK AND IT WAS PUSHING A BIG HEAVY PRADO A LONG AND IT WENT LIKE A SCALDED CAT :toast: THE FJ IS BASED ON THE PRADO SO ITS A GREAT PLATFORM TO BASE A VECHICLE ON. I MISS MY OLD PRADO ARE WELL NO POINT CRYING OVER SPILT MILK :nono:

Thanks mate,

This is one sweet motor, better than the Kluger in every respect mechanically.

The FJ's are in another dimension and can't really be compared to the Kluger (which is still a nice car anyway) If it were not for my experience of the Klugers abilities and efficient motor I would never had considered the FJ Cruiser with its petrol engine.

The one thing with these motors is they sound FANTASTIC, with the exhaust and air box modifications they simply scream when reved but also have a perfect note when just driving 9-5, 24-7.

I told one mate, every time I get in it to drive its an experience and I enjoy it, cant say that for many cars..... especially modern ones.

post-8753-0-24731100-1328868622_thumb.jp

Edited by RICE RACING

• 1 month later...

post-8120-1212925578_thumb.jpg

Had my KX-R AWD for just over 1 week now. I really love driving this car. Its a HUGE step up for me (last car was a 94 Commodore wagon with over 250000km on the clock!). My economy is sitting around 11-13lt per 100km though majority of my driving is 5 minute trips around suburbia so more than happy with that. Had it down to 9.2 on the freeway which is amazing.

There is only one thing that could make me love driving this thing more.... a sound proof barrier between me and the 3 kids aged 6 and under in the back seat!.

Enjoy

If you had invested in the Grande it would have solved your problem . Our kids have the dvd player on most journeys and you don't hear a peep . Totally worth it.

Well I finally got around to doing a Melbz round trip in the FJ :)

Total km covered 675km (filled to brim at start) BP Ultimate 98

*Highway drive, passed a few punks at warp speed :) did a few full throttle runs in the tunnel to hear the BEAST :), and 1 x 0-100kmh test out side a Toyota Dealers lol + driving into the city Collins street/Flinders Lane! and a few multi level car parks!*

Filled back up two days later (drove to work and back twice) and needed exactly 62lt to the brim

That is 9.19lt per 100km

^ Compares basically exactly the same with the Phillip Island run where I did 9.2lt per 100km in the Kluger. Though major difference is I am running much heavier oil in the FJ so I dont ruin this engine like I did in the last one running "water" grade stuff to help fuel economy .......... with thinner oil I could get better economy than the Kluger managed I say. Either way very VERY HAPPY with the mighty FJ Cruiser, done 10,000km with it and its a beast :)

Welcome back mate I missed reading your posts, I have been waiting for some posts on your fj.

Thats fantastic fuel economy your getting out of your fj.

I love those 4 litre v6 engines dont get me wrong the 3.5 in the kluger is little perler but dont think it is good motor as the 4 litre i had in the prado, best car i ever owned. I always said 4 litre motors were good on fuel some people disagree with me but they should read the economy your getting out your fj.

My next car will probaly be fj or another prado, I absolutly love them.

Look forward for more posts.

Cheers croco.

• 3 weeks later...

Done some more fine tuning to the beast, got the air flow meter tuned a bit better and the Air to Fuel ratio at full load just tested now is around 11.75 to 11.35:1 in 2nd gear to red line. Some more tweaks to it and she will be great. Though the ratio it is at now will be ideal for an 10% ethanol mixture of fuel if I am ever forced to run that crap!

I did a 50/50 bet (being cautious) and filled about 30 liters of 100 octane (< this fuel is 10% ethanol mixed with premium) the rest in the tank was BP Ultimate 98 octane.

The full power Air to Fuel ratio on tonight's test was 12.05 to 11.95:1 and the beast feels really good, REALLY GOOD!

If this tank goes well I'll fill it totally on the 100 octane ethanol mix and do a test run with it, preliminary as expected is that it does indeed lean out the fuel mixture when the ECU goes open loop (no AFR adjustments from EUGO exhaust sensors) ..... this is ideal for power generation as the Toyotas from factory are set stupidly rich to cover using this fuel but also to cover garbage standrds toyota allow on a spread of acceptable tollerances on things like Air Flow Meters.

Will take me a few weeks till I eat through this tank of fuel, will post back when time allows

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I know I shouldnt be asking this queston but im curious what the fastest you have your kluger up to.

I was coming back home yesterday from weekend away and I got stuck behind line of slow cars and you know the story no one wants to overtake, I thought bugger this , I had a look and seen a gap and put my foot down and before I knew it I was doing 160kmh, I got up there so quick, I was astounded how easy it did.

I reckon the kluger would do 200kmh, if there any cops reading this I was only doing 100kmh ok :whistling:

THE KLUGER RULES :toast:

My RICEFJ is allot faster, despite being less aero dynamic, again doing controlled testing it easily gets to 160kmh without even thinking about it or even trying hard.

With the speed limiter bypassed it will do around 230kmh or so

Toyota knows how to build a great v6 engine, I have driven other makes and model v6s engines and they dont even come close to the v6 I had in my prado and the one I got in my kluger, they deliver excellent performance and outstanding fuel economy.

TOYOTAS RULE :toast:

Toyota knows how to build a great v6 engine, I have driven other makes and model v6s engines and they dont even come close to the v6 I had in my prado and the one I got in my kluger, they deliver excellent performance and outstanding fuel economy.

TOYOTAS RULE :toast:

Agree 100%

For context I have a 650bhp 1200kg Mazda RX7 and that thing is a litteral space shuttle! BUT my RICEFJ *ALWAYS* puts a smile on my face and really does shock me with how fast it is for a 2 tonne vehicle, amazing fuel efficiency (near equivalent of a D4D Prado!) and with acually an a55 load of character (read noise, and revs, and no crappy oily smell with running rubbish chip fat fuel)

Toyota have made an OUTSTANDING V6 engine, it really is great :)

Edited by RICE RACING

Peter couldnt agree with you more mate, those 4 litre v6 engines a are absolute perler of a engine, they offer strong performance with good fuel economy,there probadly the best v6 if not one of the best engines toyota ever produced, the 4litre v6 in my prado had 200000km on it and it still went hard and it never missed a beat, I never had to put a spanner on it apart from normal servicing and maintance items thats pretty much all I had to do to her, I wish I kept her, she never let me down once, dont get me wrong I dont regret buying the kluger, its absolute surprise package, its great all purpose car that offers excellent performance with surprising fuel efficency, thats comfortable and great to drive.

• 1 month later...

Yes mate, they are great.

If you look at the 2012 4WD of the year test you will see just how much so they are in reality, very efficient engine IMHO, using the same amount of fuel in off road and 5 day test as a 200 Series Turbo Diesel !!! (sure it is in a slightly ligher vehicle) but regardless the petrol V6 has 1 jizzilion times more character! and in my case my motor delivers around 230rwkw after tweaking it, its a rocket compared to the anemic vacum cleaner sounding clacking diesle ..........

I know which I would rather have.

In fact we do comparisons to all kinds of other crap boxes from TD BT50's to Prado's in TD and at maximum they get about 0.5lt per 100km better economy for like use (if the owners are honest LOL with the oil burners!) they are all shocked when I show them the facts of the old Kluger I had and then this new FJ Cruiser!!! Unless you own one and try it you have no idea just how unbelievable these engines are in being efficient.

So far as the power and character, there is no comparison the petrol V6 destorys them, I take people for rides in the FJ and they simply cant stop talking about it, sounds like a race car!........... very cool sound, and the power is just ridiculous :)

On your thread that got locked on the BP Ultimate coloring oil??????? I have ONLY run BP Ultimate in my FJ Crusier since new and covered 13,000km to date and change the oil twice (once after 950km, drain factory crap and change filter) and now once on the Mobil 1 5w-50 and the oil is never colored running BP Ultimate.

Edited by RICE RACING

Thanks peter your a champiom.

Iam starting to now think it was all in my head with the colour in the oil after using bp ultimate, its probadly like trent said its due to the engine getting older and more kms on it and I change my oil more than what most people would so its probadly the engine cleaning itself after the oil been changed at 10000kms most of its life , I have been using castrol 5w30 and the kluger has been running as sweet as a nut.

So now the princess is happy ha ha, seriosly guys I didnt want my other thread to start bad feelings with other forum members, so no hard feeling everyone.

I

Edited by CROCO

I nearly bought a little oil burner suv, so very glad I didn't now. The Kluger engine is so superior to the toy turbo diesels it is a joke. The economy for the weight it hauls and the power it delivers puts a smile on my face just like Rice's !! :D

We may use a little more fuel than the oil burners but over time the quality motor will win without a doubt. There is more to economical motoring than fuel costs. Check the service interval on the Kluger 2wd auto transmission for example...???

I never knew it was as fast as it is until last night when I read somewhere about it being capable of 8 sec 0-100kph!! So today this old coot (60+) tried it out on a quiet bit of road!! It moves, wowww... but the best part was there was no sensation of the accelleration... it justs happens. To me that is a sign of quality engineering and design.

One report I found said that it is the fastest SUV to be produced in Japan.

For a laugh watch this... a Highlander (Kluger) playing with a BMW X5 :P

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

Barney I agree, the power delivery of the kluger is so smooth, you dont really realize how fast the kluger is until you look at the speedo, I given a few young guys in their falcon and commodore a surprize at the lights at how fast I can accelerate, not that I would do that of course :whistling:

I also nearly bought a diesel suv, when I bought my prado, I drove the diesel, which was the old 1kzte motor, then I drove the 4litrev6, wow the 4.0v6 won me over straight away, the acceleration was absolutely astounding, I had the salesman hanging on when I test drove it, I remember looking at the tacho and the speedo and thinking bloody hell this thing is of the chain, and I wasnt flooring it either.

Both the kluger and the prado are great on fuel , yeah sure I admit if you want to tow the diesel still a better bet for ecconomy, but for normal touring and just everyday driving the v6 I agree puts a bigger smile on my face and the pulling power of my old prado when I towed with it was brilliant.

You cant beat a big donk for power and grunt.

I test drove a 2008 navara 2.5 turbo diesel auto for the missus, and I hated it the lag was awful the performance was like a slug compared to the kluger and my old prado, so give me a v6 anyday.

Barney I agree, the power delivery of the kluger is so smooth, you dont really realize how fast the kluger is until you look at the speedo, I given a few young guys in their falcon and commodore a surprize at the lights at how fast I can accelerate, not that I would do that of course :whistling:

I also nearly bought a diesel suv, when I bought my prado, I drove the diesel, which was the old 1kzte motor, then I drove the 4litrev6, wow the 4.0v6 won me over straight away, the acceleration was absolutely astounding, I had the salesman hanging on when I test drove it, I remember looking at the tacho and the speedo and thinking bloody hell this thing is of the chain, and I wasnt flooring it either.

Both the kluger and the prado are great on fuel , yeah sure I admit if you want to tow the diesel still a better bet for ecconomy, but for normal touring and just everyday driving the v6 I agree puts a bigger smile on my face and the pulling power of my old prado when I towed with it was brilliant.

You cant beat a big donk for power and grunt.

I test drove a 2008 navara 2.5 turbo diesel auto for the missus, and I hated it the lag was awful the performance was like a slug compared to the kluger and my old prado, so give me a v6 anyday.

As per my ususal standard of seperating Fact from Fiction and showing just how great these motors are I decided to do a proper back to back comparo and have a nice time away with the old bay as well :)

So here is the ultimate test of a Petrol V6, true back to back comparison, same days, same trip, same driving styles (excpet for me overtaking a few cars at 130+kmh! slow diesle crap box's)

Start trip 130m altitude (home base)

Drive 3 hours 15 minutes to hunting ground (elevation 1640m) see pics!

Involved about 1 hours 15 minutes in 4wd, high range and low range) see pics

Had car running for 30 minutes charging a battery for my camera (mid trip at camp site), same for the HJ60 to charge fridge! so honest comparison.......

THEN: Return trip back to base, around 3+ hours together *same details as above*.

Note: Both cars owned from new, perfect running order and fully maintained, HJ60 same fuel consumption after run in period in 1984!, and RICEFJ modified as per posts above........ HJ60 has high flow extractors and system I made for it in 1990, which improved its fuel economy.

Result.

2050kg as tested weight Auto FJ Cruiser 4.0lt V6 motor 10.1lt per 100km 35.7lt used

2030kg as tested weight Manual HJ 60 3.9lt Diesel 11.36lt per 100km 45 lt used

Modern V6 petrol Toyota motor as I proved in my own Kluger in daily driving, towing, highway hauling and now the Toyota FJ Crusier is a GEM of a motor!

tracktrip2.jpg

tracktrip.jpg

ricefjhj60trip.jpg

oldboytrip.jpg

boystrip.jpg

ricefjtrip.jpg

ricefjconsumption.jpg

Edited by RICE RACING

HI peter, I did a similar test years ago when I sold my old 1998 na diesel hilux and then bought a 2004 v6 hilux, both nearly weighed the same had similar accessories, I was a bit apprehensive at first at buying a petrol 4wd ute, but after owning it for a few weeks and few tankfulls of fuel I was shocked at on the open road I was acheiving better fuel consumption and around town it was the same,, it was the same when I had it loaded with gear the fuel consumption was actually better in the v6 petrol hilux than the diesel, now I could accellerate at road speed not at a snail pace and dont have to put up with those smelly slimy bowers, I know people reading this are probadly scoffing at this but its true, I know alot to do with the better fuel consumption in the petrol is the gearing, I remember driving at a 100kmh in the diesel I was doing nearly 3500rpm and the petrol 2400rpm, but the diesel was only 3.0 na 4cylinder diesel were the petrol was a 3.4v6, so not always diesel are better on fuel, its the same story with engine size, people think because a engine is smaller its better on fuel , not the case, the 3.0 wasnt as good on fuel as the 3.4 and my 4.0v6 prado was better on fuel than 3.4v6 hilux.I have had that argument with my old man for years, oneday we went camping I took my old prado and my old man took his 2.7litre hilux my prado used nearly 12 litres less the whole trip, than the hilux, both same road, same load, similar driving style, if anything I probadly drove my prado harder, the look on my old mans face priceless, the proof is in the pudding.

Peter thanks for the great photos mate, where abouts were they taken, great view and snow, must be the first of the snow season, I love photos of the two cruiser, the old 60 in great condition, I remember travelling in a mates family 60 when I was growing up, they may not be fast but you cant kill them with a stick, my mates was a 1985 model with the 2h diesel too, I had a 2h in my old hj47 you couldnt kill it, I think when bought it had nearly 300000kms on it and when I sold it had 450000kms on it , the only thing that went wrong was the seals on the injector pump, the diesel started leaking in engine oil, so I sold it, but saying that I dont think I could go back to a naturally asprited diesel, give me petrol power any time, unless I win the lotto and get a new 200 series twin turbo v8 diesel.

Yeah Dave, Facts are Facts, opinions drive Diesels and talk up their economy LOL.....

Same test applied to a MINT 100 Series Turbo Diesel running Melb and back (~600km round trip) yields almost the same result! 2004 model Manual uses at least 1lt per 100km MORE than the FJ Cruiser.

So far as towing, I have seen people CRY over how much fuel their "ecomonic" anemic oil burner does pulling a car trailer with a car on it, I proved long ago how little these Toyota motors use in the same conditions.

I teach Automotive mechanics and I as you stated if people are "honest" and factor in real costs you would NEVER EVER own a Diesel, especially a small crap box 4cyl 3lt or heaven forbid a sub 3lt capacity one......... they are total garbage.

I did a test on one VW Golf wagon fitted with a 2lt TD motor same as seen in a Tiguan and it was a joke, responsive as Gina Reinhart pole dancing!!! and all for 2lt per 100km less usage (mind you in a car body) v's what my 2 tone FJ does on the exact same road where I tested it.

Back at the start of this thread I test drove even a 85k at the time Toureg V6 TD Twin Turbo and even it munched more fuel than a "nice girl" does crack at a lap dancing bar. I say all up just like you found out in reality you just can not beat these petrol V6 motors, very powerful and very efficient in ALL condtions. When mated as well as they are to a modern automatic and you just have a fantastic and simple vehilce................. one that makes most oil burners totally jealous with envy at how awesome you are for having a superior and much much more fun ride :)

The trip was up near mount Hotham (actually Dargo high plains) nice deer hunting spot and it was heaven, 3 days of not a cloud in the sky!!! but it was very cold, permanent snow and ice, made it more fun though.

Was too tired last night to post better quality pics, but here is some thing much nicer (still not highest quality as they take too long to load on Image Shack) but you get more of a feel for the Mighty Toyota V6 petrol engine :)

img4142triphr.jpg

img4111triphr.jpg

img4108triphr.jpg

img4105triphr.jpg

img4096triphr.jpg

img4073triphr.jpg

img4065triphr.jpg

img4063triphr.jpg

img4225triphr.jpg

img4224triphr.jpg

img4220triphr.jpg

img4213triphr.jpg

img4207triphr.jpg

Peter the photos are great mate, I always wanted to go fourwheel driving in snow, but never got around to it, I wish I still had my fourwheel drive, I will buy another fourby in the next couple of years, when I can afford somthing better than the kluger, mate if you ever swap fj back to a kluger let me know I would love to have it.

once again thanks for the photos and I enjoy reading all you posts and information.