FASTER THAN R50 V10 TWIN TURBO VW TOE RAG! (AWD KX-S Kluger) 7.10 seconds 0-100kph (+ FJ Cruiser) 6.84 seconds 0-100kph V6=Don Mega!!!!

RICE RACING

Well I just did my 20,000km service and changed oil type to Valvoline full synthetic 0w-40 grade ($100 for 10lt V's $200 for the Mobil!), did the air filter and oil filter too.

Went for a drive to the IPRA club car nationals at Phillip Island for 2 days and did a return trip through Melbourne to pick up some tires for my RX7. All up trip was 840km and did an average of 9.2lt per 100km (on the way to PI (282km trip) it was 8.4lt per 100km *which is excellent*) at the track did lots of trips around the circuit perimeter over the two days and driving to and from camp ground etc and the traffic in Melb was just horrendous :( I don't know how people live there :rolleyes: (had to go into Richmond).

Anyway the new oil seems even better than the Mobil economy wise. Here is a pick of the mighty Kluger ready to go on track :D

img1509c.jpg

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I just did my 20,000km service and changed oil type to Valvoline full synthetic 0w-40 grade ($100 for 10lt V's $200 for the Mobil!), did the air filter and oil filter too.

Went for a drive to the IPRA club car nationals at Phillip Island for 2 days and did a return trip through Melbourne to pick up some tires for my RX7. All up trip was 840km and did an average of 9.2lt per 100km (on the way to PI (282km trip) it was 8.4lt per 100km *which is excellent*) at the track did lots of trips around the circuit perimeter over the two days and driving to and from camp ground etc and the traffic in Melb was just horrendous :( I don't know how people live there :rolleyes: (had to go into Richmond).

Anyway the new oil seems even better than the Mobil economy wise. Here is a pick of the mighty Kluger ready to go on track :D

Melbourne traffic - tell me about it. It has gone 10x worst in the last 10 years.

Valvoline - I know what you mean ;) .... now. :)

Had to go to Melbz again today from Bairnsdale, inc city traffic round/return trip average was 8.4lt per 100km (550km covered) on way down before I branched off freeway was showing 7.8lt per 100km for the 275km gentle drive from home.

The economy on the Valvoline oil is at least a match for the Mobil 1 I was using previously, It seems to be even better. Have to repeat this trip next week (to collect my RX7 wheels I took to get restored) so see if I can get another similar result to back it up.

Saw about 1 million Klugers on the road along the whole journey, these cars are getting very popular!

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=25078

^ Highly recommend reading for ANYONE with a 3.5lt V6 engine (with dodgy rubber oil feed line that is proven to cause ENGINE FAILURE!) as I have in this car. Since this thread is so popular and gets many hits and comes up high on search engines I would like to make this as visible as is possible towards Toyota's level of shoddiness and sub standard treatment of customers in an effort to keep their accountants happy and retain a big fat Christmas bonus for the C&UNTS who authorize these sub standard level of "warranty call back repairs"

BE WARNED (if affected) you will be f7cked around and will have to take it upon yourself to get a suitable outcome from this company.

This has f7cked me off so much that this piece of sh7t of a car will be for sale and I will NEVER EVER buy another motor vehicle from these tight ****'s ever again nor will I recommend anyone else to either.

Edited by RICE RACING

• 2 weeks later...
http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=25078

^ Highly recommend reading for ANYONE with a 3.5lt V6 engine (with dodgy rubber oil feed line that is proven to cause ENGINE FAILURE!) as I have in this car. Since this thread is so popular and gets many hits and comes up high on search engines I would like to make this as visible as is possible towards Toyota's level of shoddiness and sub standard treatment of customers in an effort to keep their accountants happy and retain a big fat Christmas bonus for the C&UNTS who authorize these sub standard level of "warranty call back repairs"

BE WARNED (if affected) you will be f7cked around and will have to take it upon yourself to get a suitable outcome from this company.

This has f7cked me off so much that this piece of sh7t of a car will be for sale and I will NEVER EVER buy another motor vehicle from these tight ****'s ever again nor will I recommend anyone else to either.

Signed not happy Jan

Back to the Mazda's I'd say :yahoo:

Yes indeed!

I have been driving my RX7 allot recently, just have the POS Toyota parked out in the sun since this oil line scandal/saga.

Will have a break over Christmas and more than likely put it up for sale in new year, then go buy the V6 twin turbo diesel VW I originally test drove (in hindsight for a little more money it was a much better motor car *if not as fast*).

Sorry to hear that RR.

Hope you get a good price for the Kluger and in finding a car manufacturer that will stand behind their product better than Toyota (which may end up being an interesting search).

It's funny how one little oil hose can turn a world beating super SUV into a POS not worthy of driving.....

I'd rather sell the POS now with no worries later about how Toyota wont warrant their own product failings, I am involved deeply in the automotive game and some of the first hand stories I have come across from average people being screwed by Toyota over legitimate claims (engine blow ups for one) is something I dont want to happen to me.

I have been a long standing Toyota customer BTW.

This is not the first time either, I had one the infamous 80 series diesel turbo land Cruisers which majicaly broke their own crank shafts after the warranty period! Toyota stuffed around a few of my mates on that one too (I got out of that while I could before my time bomb went off). This piece of junk will be no different, and it looks like Toyota have learned little if anything they have gotten worse :unsure:

Its still rank gay that Toyota wont fix my engine to a new engine standard, to them I squarely say get f7cked and I will NEVER buy one of your cars again.

Yes indeed!

I have been driving my RX7 allot recently, just have the POS Toyota parked out in the sun since this oil line scandal/saga.

Will have a break over Christmas and more than likely put it up for sale in new year, then go buy the V6 twin turbo diesel VW I originally test drove (in hindsight for a little more money it was a much better motor car *if not as fast*).

Sorry to hear that , to be honest with you I enjoyed all your topics and this forum encouraged me to buy kluger over the cx9 . specially your story of buying the kluger .

Yes indeed!

Why not go for an X5 then. Only a little more money.

Yes indeed!

Why not go for an X5 then. Only a little more money.

Bugger that if I had the money I know what Id get

The fast family wagon :yahoo:

Hi RR, I'm interested in the synthetic oil, is it that much better and that much difference in fuel economy? I'm currently getting 10l/100km on the highway terrible in city with KXS AWD just run in.

GK :blink:

• 5 months later...

Hi RR, I'm interested in the synthetic oil, is it that much better and that much difference in fuel economy? I'm currently getting 10l/100km on the highway terrible in city with KXS AWD just run in.

GK :blink:

Hi There,

I Can't say how much better it is as I have not run a scientific type test between them, but to add to my other posts in this thread here is the fuel economy I got this week on my trip away to race my Mazda RX7.

Details:

Bairnsdale to Sydney (Eastern Creek)*return trip*.

Altitude change 0m to 1070m above sea level (lots of big mountain climbs, not so great for economy).

3 day trip inc peak hour in Sydney driving, driving in and out of camping grounds, dinners etc, trailer and circuit shuttling around etc... Typical type average use for this kind of trip.

Average speed kept 95~100kmh (on GPS), some above 110kmh on Freeway on flat. And all steeper mountain pulls around 80kmh minimum, so not crawling around.

Weight towed 500kg trailer & 1320kg fully laden car (1850kg all up, on trailer + misc parts).

100kg of stuff in Kluger and one occupant.

1400+km covered and 12.9lt per 100km average.

Fuel used normal unleaded, 95 and 98, no real difference noticed between them really.

Here is some pictures:

img1781economytowing.jpg

img1772economytowing.jpg

img1771economytowing.jpg

img1778economytowing.jpg

Edited by RICE RACING

Nice RX7!

That seems like a fair amount of weight in front of the trailer axles. What's the weight on the tow bar?

Ken.

My RX7 has F:R weight distribution of 45% 55% so its heavier to the rear, I don't know the load on the tow ball but it drives beautifully and it was stable in all conditions during the trip. sits down a little at the rear but not too bad as you can see in the photo. At night the lights are fine (no one flashing high beam at me), I thought about adjusting the tracks further back but this is the way its balanced from the factory for a much heavier front weighted balanced cars so I left it given mine is heavier at the rear. NOTE: you need to look at the PIVOT point in the trailer (see magpie) in the photo, it has independent suspension (air bags) at back so it needs to be balanced around that point, the deflection in the side walls of the tires indicate still that the rear tires/axles on trailer are taking slightly more load. I should stick my corner weight scales to get an exact figure though :)

Edited by RICE RACING

My RX7 has F:R weight distribution of 45% 55% so its heavier to the rear, I don't know the load on the tow ball but it drives beautifully and it was stable in all conditions during the trip.

I forgot, the engine is mounted towards the middle.

I remember as a little kid I couldn't understand how my dad could lift the coupling on our boat trailer. I thought he must be really strong to be able to lift the weight of the whole boat! He explained to me the principle of balance and put bathroom scales under the coupling to show me that the weight there was only about the same as my weight. I think I spent the next week playing with first class levers!

Ken.

• 4 weeks later...

Been considering all weekend about selling the Kluger to get a V10 twin turbo 5lt diesel TDI VW........ read a million reviews, stories of blow up of turbo's on VW's, horrendous resale value, worse fuel consumption than what I have documented for my Kluger (+ more expensive fuel) stupid service costs!!!! and much worse acceleration compared to ALL of the tests I have carried out over time. Went for a drive today and my beast and it just accelerates like an animal!, thought to myself "why the fark would I want to spend double on a S/H **** box VW".

So shelved the idea. Though I still love the engine in the VW though lol, 100% more capable off-road but I don't do any of that now anyway so not a big selling point. The complexity flat out scares me too.

• 4 months later...

Been considering all weekend about selling the Kluger to get a V10 twin turbo 5lt diesel TDI VW........ read a million reviews, stories of blow up of turbo's on VW's, horrendous resale value, worse fuel consumption than what I have documented for my Kluger (+ more expensive fuel) stupid service costs!!!! and much worse acceleration compared to ALL of the tests I have carried out over time. Went for a drive today and my beast and it just accelerates like an animal!, thought to myself "why the fark would I want to spend double on a S/H **** box VW".

So shelved the idea. Though I still love the engine in the VW though lol, 100% more capable off-road but I don't do any of that now anyway so not a big selling point. The complexity flat out scares me too.

Been reading this thread with interest as my car is now 1 week old & this can be called your thread and you have been so enthusiastic.

Shocked to see your change of heart in just one post, but no comment on this.

I realiase it has been a while, but was wondering how you got on?

My 2 bob on the Volkswagen:

2005 4 motion multivan from new (I know it's not a Toureg, but may be helpful.

Best thing we had ever bought, heaps of room, heaps of power, towed the boat 7 people & all there gear without a drama, unbelievably good on fuel.

Niggling things during warranty period, always fixed, no problem, no arguments.

2 months after 3 yr warranty the gearbox blew. Repaired by VW at a cost of about $8000 much to their credit.

Since Jan this year:

Rear sliding windows fall out

Sliding doors get stuck on both sides

Front electric window motors & switches replaced, $800 each

Air con not working $4,000

Some cloth & trims just starting to fall off.

The main driver, who really loved it, started to get nervous and so did I & sick of taking it in every month to get fixed.

Happened to be in Newcastle last week & heard on the radio Toyota was having a 4 day sale.

Traded the VW on the Kluger then drove the VW home to Coffs Harbour while the paperwork was done.

On the Tuesday on the way back for the trade the VW spat a turbo at Port Macquarie requiring me to take it out of the trade & left with a $6,000 quote to fix.

My summary:

Excellent car re build, finish, equipment (still has standard features that Toyota don't offer 5 yrs later), drive etc.

Excellent after sales & support from VW.

Started to self distruct after 4yrs. Expected more from a $70,000 vehicle as I looked at Kia at the same time but at half the price figured it wasn't made to last.

VW has done 170,000 km, always serviced by VW, never missed a service (can't as the reminder is so annoying).

If you buy one do so on the 3yr then upgrade plan.

Hope this helps, am expecting more from the Kluger.

• 3 months later...

interesting to see you guys getting such good fuel economy from a V6 SUV. a guy i work with has a 2wd Kluger and absolutely loves it and reckons the economy is great.

its a bit scary to hear about the oil line blowing the motor - ive always thought that toyota was better than that, but i guess they are all in it for the money at the end of the day.

Have you driven the Land Cruiser 4.5V8TDI ? I know a guy that has one and absolutely loves it, and averages about 12l/100 as well and he is definitely light on the accelerator.

i have an xtrail at the moment and it averages 10.5l/100 (2.5Petrol auto) and I will be upgrading about this time next year to something bigger, possibly a Kluger

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been on here for a long while.

I still have my Kluger, got over my disappointment with the oil line BS, other than that she has been rock solid in 3 years never given me any trouble at all which is nice.

Have covered 37000km so far.

Been reading this thread with interest as my car is now 1 week old & this can be called your thread and you have been so enthusiastic.

My 2 bob on the Volkswagen:..........................................If you buy one do so on the 3yr then upgrade plan.

Oddly I know about 5 people on the northern beaches of sydney, who have had the very same experience with VWs ranging from 2 golfs, 1 Bug convertible, 2 multivans. It's beyond me why people still buy them?

My 2 bob on the Volkswagen:..........................................If you buy one do so on the 3yr then upgrade plan.

Oddly I know about 5 people on the northern beaches of sydney, who have had the very same experience with VWs ranging from 2 golfs, 1 Bug convertible, 2 multivans. It's beyond me why people still buy them?

Agreed, for any minor faults the Toyota may have they are nothing compared to a Hitler youth dak dak POS.

Let's not forget I proved my Kluger is faster than their top spec turd too :)