turbo powerd aurion

ooz

Never seen or heard of one, but on an interesting note i did see footage of an offroad dune buggy with a twin turbo 3.5L toyota engine (same as the aurion motor) 700hp+ and it sounded like an animal :lol:

• 8 months later...
Never seen or heard of one, but on an interesting note i did see footage of an offroad dune buggy with a twin turbo 3.5L toyota engine (same as the aurion motor) 700hp+ and it sounded like an animal :lol:

I think the one you saw was this Jimco 600 KW 2GR-FE turbocharged buggy, man the 2GR-FE has got alot a tunning potential but in the Aurion FWD configuration is going to a major challenge........

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277636

Even in standard trim the Aurion torque steer is almost unacceptable in a modern day production car.

Interesting that Rick Bramley from S.A managed to squeeze out 165 ATW KW with a Motec ECU and Commodore throttle body.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=846955

Anyone know what the non forced induction 2GR-FE manages at the wheels??

n the 2GR-FE has got alot a tunning potential but in the Aurion FWD configuration is going to a major challenge........

Even in standard trim the Aurion torque steer is almost unacceptable in a modern day production car.

*rant*

I absolutely hate the "its a FWD so cannot put power down" or "its a FWD, so it must be crap" brigade, especially when most are dynosaurs of a lost era.

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results..../2008.WAKE.S3.Y

Look at the 1st 3 cars - Both Civic in position 2 & 3 are street registered NA cars barely pushing 150kw

The skyline at the top is 400kw.

Modern FWDs can easily keep and outpace alot of lot RWD cars.

I've also seen and driven a number of FWDs putting out in excess of 300kw at the front wheels and they have no problems putting the power down.

I never really experienced any torque steer on the Aurion?

About 150kw at the wheels.

The TRD has torque steer but seriously, it's a non-issue. People talk like it rips the wheel out of your hands where in fact it just tugs. Personally, I love it because it makes the whole driving experience all the more exciting.

It's easy for people to underestimate the cornering ability of well engineered FWDs.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

n the 2GR-FE has got alot a tunning potential but in the Aurion FWD configuration is going to a major challenge........

*rant*

I absolutely hate the "its a FWD so cannot put power down" or "its a FWD, so it must be crap" brigade, especially when most are dynosaurs of a lost era.

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results..../2008.WAKE.S3.Y

Look at the 1st 3 cars - Both Civic in position 2 & 3 are street registered NA cars barely pushing 150kw

The skyline at the top is 400kw.

Modern FWDs can easily keep and outpace alot of lot RWD cars.

I've also seen and driven a number of FWDs putting out in excess of 300kw at the front wheels and they have no problems putting the power down.

I never really experienced any torque steer on the Aurion?

About 150kw at the wheels.

Never said that FWD setup is crap but rather has limitations by design, the fact that FWD configurations have a dual role to steer and put the power down vs a AWD or RWD setup.

Yes FWD cars can be made to go quick but my point is that for a like for like setup FWD cars come out second best vs a RWD or AWD setup.

If FWD setups are so good why is that high performance manufacturers (Porsche, Ferrari etc) choose a RWD/AWD setup??

What about all the quickest motorsports racing series around the world like F1, indy, NASCAR, they are all RWD.

Don't get me wrong i don't dislike FWD step ups as most of my previous cars have been FWD Honda Integra, TX5 turbo, Honda Accord Euro and now Aurion (1 AWD - WRX), but like i said they have their limitations by design.

With the front struts and rear sway bar it has really improved the handling of the Aurion and used in sports mode i really enjoy driving the Aurion now as i have come to grips with the handling characteristics of the car.

I am now used to corrective driving to combat the torque steer under full load but i still stand by the fact that the torque steer in the Aurion should have been engineered out and not something left to the driver to correct it especially in a modern day vehicle.

• 1 year later...

was going through camry forum on toyotanation

there are 2 threads on turbo'd 2gr-fe

no numbers/dynos/1/4miles though just pics

dunno if this has been mentioned, thought id share anyway

Edited by whitezr6

Someone I know visited a dealer near the NSW/VIC border and saw one with twin-blowers ... thats what they told me anyway. I have no proof sad.gif

^^^They were high as sh*t on crack...I live on the NSW/VIC border.

And Mick I know the feeling man. Even at 5.5psi...plus the Aurion doesnt torque steer that bad, if you take your hands off the wheel and plant it, it will.

Edited by trentmeyer23

Someone I know visited a dealer near the NSW/VIC border and saw one with twin-blowers ... thats what they told me anyway. I have no proof :(

TRD Aurion has a TWIN-SCREW blower, probably where they are getting confused