Purchasing a car

Goodday Toyota freaks,

I am thinking about buying a Toyota Celica. This is going to be my first car. I do not live in Australia yet, I live in Holland (i know). The thing I want to ask is where do you have to look out for when a car is really really cheap. I mean I have the money. But I do not want to be conned. I do a technical education, so I know the technical aspect of it. But want to know the adminastrative side of it, you know what I mean? Things like:

-Does a car need to have insurance when potentially purchasing it?

-Does a car need to have MOT (or something)

-Is it easy to get a new number plate if there isn't one present?

-Is it smart to buy a import car? Are they registered?

And if there is something like a "Where do you need to look out for when buying a car" topic? Link please :D

Help would be appreciated,

Joey

Toyota freaks...I like it.

First question - how old is the Celica you are looking for?

Ideally you would want to buy one thats registered (more rego the better), you have to pay stamp duty (3% of the first $45,000 - NSW) and transfer of rego ($26 - NSW). Being registered - it will already have CTP (Compulsory Third Party) insurance which stays with the car until rego is due next. When its already registered you have number plates already & its just a matter of coughing up money to the authorities to put it all in your name. You can get personalised plates very easily, once they come in you swap them over & hand the old ones back.

If its not registered there's inspections & slips that have to be done & paid for...can be a headache. Depends on the age of the car in the end, a new one wont have a hassle but older one may need repairs or something to bring it up to registration standards

Some one who knows about Imports can answer the next bit...

If you are buying an import just make sure that there is a compliance plate some where in the engine bay it should be either green or red (depending when the car came in) Which should state when the car was imported, vin/engine number year model etc. I would double check with the manufacture plate on the firewall and engine just to make sure the numbers match.

On imports make sure the kays match what the car looks like in terms of interior trim etc. As some imports may have there clock wind back. If registered already like apg39 has mentioned then its easy.

With imports i believe there are only some GT4s where imported from Jap land, all standard celicas will be aus specs unless they are a personal import.

Edited by Cappuccino

gday morinistylr....welcome to the club and AUSTRALIA!!

-answer to the first question do you need insurance when purchasing...the answer is no...however you do need at least 3rd party ..here in NSW its called CTP Green Slip (different names in diff states) and it is compulsory..it protects vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other party in the event of a personal injury claim made against them by other road users. However i also advise you take out insurance for property damage as well..i mean you dont want to be forking out 100,000 when you accidently rear end an aston martin.

-answer to your 2nd question about the car needing an MOT...well here they dont call it a MOT, but its exactly the same system...the vehicle must pass all its tests..including braking, tyres and emission....here in NSW its called a Pink Slip (however i am told if the car is not older than 5yrs then you dont need it...someone correct me if am wrong)...

-number plates dont cost too much (provided you dont get a personalised one)..however i dont really think you would need to get one...because with most of the cars are that are for sale already have plates and most probably should have rego (or just ran out of rego)...my tip is if you see a car that doesnt have a number plate or any documents, stating it was registered in the previous year, i would walk away...coz chances are you gonna have a load of problems when trying to get the car back on the road (most of these cars have been deemed "Write-Offs")..when buying a car i recc. you looking at getting a REVs report...this report outlines the cars history...a very good document to obtain when you think you have found your new ride...they go thru the vehicle with a fine tooth comb from head to toe, and give you a detail report for a nominal fee...also assures you that you wont have any problems registering it.

-imports tend to be harder to insure..like what the other guys above have said..."some imports my have there odometers wound back"...here in australia there are a ton of non-import celicas around..so you should have no problem finding one that suits your budget and need...

hope that helps a lil...and good luck with it.....let us know how it all goes!

Thanks people,

I just don't want to go for a car which ends up in a big headache ;) . The car I am aiming for is a Toyota Celica 2.2 litre with the 4 headlights. Not the new sporty model but the one before that. I won't be buying a car as such for a few months. But I'll tell how it ended up eventually :) .

Thanks for the replys, I'll definitely use them ;)

Greets Joey