After Market CAI

I found a place in Sydney who sells CAI kit for $150. I was wondering if they are any good as they are exactly the same pipe and shape as the TRD one. Would there be any difference in the two with performance? I'm thinking it shouldn't make a difference as they both should do the same job. Please correct me if I'm wrong. is there anything that I should look out for?

Also with the air filter I'm looking to go Apexi Pod filter. Is that a good choice? It's $160. Does that sound right or can I get it elsewhere for cheaper?

Another thing I wanna ask is can we just attatch the Apexi pod filter to the current air box without the CAI kit or do we need get the CAI kit.

Thanks for the advice. :)

with the TRD kit i thought it was expensive too then i thought about ti a little after calming down - you get a good big high flow pod with it so that is worth about 120$ and it is red and has a sticker worth about 5kw atw :lol::lol: and is covered by warranty as confirmed by toyota aus

as for the apexi pod you can get the adapter from places like HJCmotorsports.

better off with the CAI unless you have a bonnet scoop as every 1 degree air temp you drop engine power goes up

Edited by influx

brash boy japan do a short ram kit for the 1zz/2zz and the filter they use is apexi power intake.

most if not all the japanese manufacturers do is short ram so cai is not popular with them. i only see these cai from usa.

you can use the apexi power intake but you need the sensor adapter. a friend with the levin 1zz is using the adapter which was designed for something else but it is the right size. i can give you the part number of the adapter if you are serious in using short ram apexi power intake.

as you are in sydney check out http://www.modyourcar.com.au/

they have the power intake for $119

I think that any aftermarket CAI is fine for our cars. Especially if it is a copy of the TRD one. Just make sure that the fit is fine and the air sensors fits well. I too felt that the TRD CAI is a little too pricey, it's a great looking CAI but it also hurt a little too much on the wallet so I went and got myself a 2nd hand AEM CAI which has been great.

Besides, I hear that lots of guys here who have the TRD CAI went and changed the original pod filter as well, so it's really $450 for a red pipe.

Anyway, in the words of my Aunt who picked up my CAI for me... "You mean, it's $250 for just this pipe?" :P

I think that any aftermarket CAI is fine for our cars. Especially if it is a copy of the TRD one. Just make sure that the fit is fine and the air sensors fits well. I too felt that the TRD CAI is a little too pricey, it's a great looking CAI but it also hurt a little too much on the wallet so I went and got myself a 2nd hand AEM CAI which has been great.

Besides, I hear that lots of guys here who have the TRD CAI went and changed the original pod filter as well, so it's really $450 for a red pipe.

Anyway, in the words of my Aunt who picked up my CAI for me... "You mean, it's $250 for just this pipe?"  :P

Maybe so Egene but of the 3-4 different types I have fitted the TRD unit fits the best. After buying and installing 7 CAI's the TRD is the best fit.

Shift Performance

Shop 4/175 Hume Highway

Lansvale, N.S.W 2166

I found this CAI kit at Shift Performance in Lansvale. I'm not sure what the address is but it's on the Hume Highway on top of a motorbike store (if that helps).

yeh im lookin for a CAI as well.. dunno if i should get the TRD one cos i know u have to spend even more to change the pod filter...

what other brands are out there and if they all do the same job which one is best value for money?

im in sydney so yeh... please give me some numbers of places where u found CAI kits

• 2 weeks later...
I've always found you get what you pay for.  For mine, I think the $450 for the TRD CAI is well worth it, performance is DEFINITELY improved and the sound?  Well, it's awesome.  :rolleyes:

After being next to oz_viking when he hit lift - the sound is AWESOME! I will be adding TRD CAI at some time in the near future!

I've always found you get what you pay for.  For mine, I think the $450 for the TRD CAI is well worth it, performance is DEFINITELY improved and the sound?  Well, it's awesome
After being next to oz_viking when he hit lift - the sound is AWESOME! I will be adding TRD CAI at some time in the near future!

Wouldn't you get the same sort of effect if u install any CAI kit. Don't they all do the same job? You'll still get the performance and the sucking noise. This CAI is $300 cheaper and it's from Simota. Not sure if they're any good but I'm thinking it would do the same job. It just doesn;t look as good as the TRD one. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I've always found you get what you pay for.  For mine, I think the $450 for the TRD CAI is well worth it, performance is DEFINITELY improved and the sound?  Well, it's awesome

Wouldn't you get the same sort of effect if u install any CAI kit. Don't they all do the same job? You'll still get the performance and the sucking noise. This CAI is $300 cheaper and it's from Simota. Not sure if they're any good but I'm thinking it would do the same job. It just doesn;t look as good as the TRD one. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

being a sportivo, mabbie some cops will overlook it ? dunno lol. are cai illegal btw ?

Wouldn't you get the same sort of effect if u install any CAI kit. Don't they all do the same job? You'll still get the performance and the sucking noise. This CAI is $300 cheaper and it's from Simota. Not sure if they're any good but I'm thinking it would do the same job. It just doesn;t look as good as the TRD one. Correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

Hey BlackRolla,

was the simota cai kit, this part number: SIM-CA53?

any ideas what the kit comes with? was qoted $199 + delivery.

:huh:

Just went to Shift performance today. The Simota CAI kit was $200 including install. They quoted me the wrong price before ($150 was for the earlier Corollas). Comes with its own pod filter. It is different from the TRD one. The end of the pipe goes down to the front somewhere underneath and behind the headlight where the POD filter sits. The filter is a smaller one as well so it can fit underneath. At this position it will suck in colder air. I put an order on it and will be getting it on Friday. :D

We'll see how it goes.