BECAREFUL GUYS....SNITCHES ARE OUT THERE!!

"RuNx"

Hey guys long time no chat on the forum but family life has got me busy.... After 5 years of owning and modding my car i finally received a letter in the mail from the EPA! It was reported to them that my car was known to be "Excessively loud"; In the letter was the decibel rating for my 2003 Corolla and the leagal limit is 90Db@ 4500Rpm under load.

We changed the exhaust back to stock today and just for looks because i have now lost my large cannon muffler out the back of the rear bar we put twin muffler tips(on a stock exhaust system mind you) this put out 92DB!!! We took the tips off and it was back to 89Db under load @ 4500Rpm!! My friends which are going to be writing the certificate to prove my exhaust is at a leagal limit have said alot of guys are coming in to get their Db tested and have been failed at RTA inspection bays for being 1/2 a Db over their cars' limit!!!!!!!! The cops, RTA and EPA are getting stricter!!! I have only 2 weeks to fix the problem and send a copy of the certificate back to the EPA if i dont they now can revoke your rego and then issue you with an immediate defect notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :angry:

HAPPY MODDING GUYS!!!! F*&KING DIRTY......KILL JOYS!!!!!! But hey they dont worry about old SH!!T boxes on the road that are actually polluting the environment!!

Aww that seriously sucks man!

Cops are getting more strict these days and finding any excuse to pull people over or defecting cars :unsure:

Now it's gonna be a lil harder to mod what you want .. ohh well better safe then sorry aye.

In my opinion, if your car is over 90db, I don't want it in my street.

I saw plenty of cars last week well under 90db running good times at the track.

Had my stivo flying past plenty of civics with canons. They can always go home and polish their mufflers I suppose.

whitestivo

DB testing on a Sportivo should be done at 5500rpm or there abouts. Things will be getting tougher and I guess that's why I never worried about getting pinged as I had the CES system with a certificate recording the DB tests done and it was under the legal limit. Got pulled over a few times and was asked about the exhaust so I opened the glovebox and pulled out the certificate to which they replied "all good mate" and "yep that's fine".

• 2 weeks later...
DB testing on a Sportivo should be done at 5500rpm or there abouts. Things will be getting tougher and I guess that's why I never worried about getting pinged as I had the CES system with a certificate recording the DB tests done and it was under the legal limit. Got pulled over a few times and was asked about the exhaust so I opened the glovebox and pulled out the certificate to which they replied "all good mate" and "yep that's fine".

im gonna go and do that, that is such a good idea!

Well in my country (Barbados)we have no laws against decatting and loud exhausts and all that stuff. Mods are limitless.......but parts are to darn expensive as we have to import and pay super high taxes.

I still find it funny that the 'defect' laws are being used in this context. The laws where originally introduced to stop people driving old, unroadworthy sh@tboxes with no brakes.

Although i can understand the problem they have with loud exhausts, bonnet pins...etc some of the things are just plain nit-picking e.g exposed airfilters, blow-off valves...etc

edit: i just checked the BOM website. As of 3am this morning, they cancelled their sever whether warnings.

Edited by qkslvr

Half a decible is more than you think since is on logarithmic scale not linear. But yeah it is bummer. Thats why my new car is staying stock :)

CAI + Lift = 110db

If the car just scrapes through at 89db with the stock exhaust, I guess everyone is over then with a more free flowing exhaust.

110db is like what a jackhammer putsout, are you sure?

Half a decible is more than you think since is on logarithmic scale not linear. But yeah it is bummer. Thats why my new car is staying stock :)
CAI + Lift = 110db

If the car just scrapes through at 89db with the stock exhaust, I guess everyone is over then with a more free flowing exhaust.

yup tested it on CES' dyno with their DB tester. Very loud indeed!!

Remember range is important, also the sound an exhaust makes is somewhat directional due to the exhaust pipe, whereas a jackhammer is effectively unidirectional. How many times you stuck your ear directly behind the tail-pipe of a car? Trust me, you'd be in pain from the noise in no time.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

CAI + Lift = 110db

yup tested it on CES' dyno with their DB tester. Very loud indeed!!

It would be interesting to dB test magyar's gen 7 celica... i would say that would well and truly be over 120dB

Edited by mick.wheelz