Debadging my Sportivo

DJKOR

Well, I've been tossing this one up for a bit and can't seem to come to actually doing it. Before I bring out the hair dryer and fishing line, what do you think about debadging the Aurion? Like, I like the Aurion and Sportivo emblems, but I also think the car would look nice without them (plus since I wax my car every week, it would be less hard to wax around them). I know If I don't like it, I can always stick it back on, but I like to get things done right the first time.

My main concern is that people are going to think that I am trying to 'hide' a lesser grade model. But I figured, someone who knows these cars would recognise it is a Sportivo SX6 due to the body kit, the lack of parking sensors, and the lack of the black button on the door handles. I really don't know. I was just thinking of getting some opinions.

I had the same problem when I debadged my Sportivo.

I did the Toyota and the Corolla badge at the rear, and it looks a lot smoother now, and easier to clean!

I wasn't too keen on taking off the Sportivo badge on the side skirts, but I did.

It's full stealth mode now, and most people who don't know about the Sportivo and their 2ZZ, think it's a 1ZZ Corolla.

This is fun for me as I hit lift past them. :P

Ultimately it is your decision. Maybe have a go on photoshop and see if you like it.

Well, I've been tossing this one up for a bit and can't seem to come to actually doing it. Before I bring out the hair dryer and fishing line, what do you think about debadging the Aurion? Like, I like the Aurion and Sportivo emblems, but I also think the car would look nice without them (plus since I wax my car every week, it would be less hard to wax around them). I know If I don't like it, I can always stick it back on, but I like to get things done right the first time.

My main concern is that people are going to think that I am trying to 'hide' a lesser grade model. But I figured, someone who knows these cars would recognise it is a Sportivo SX6 due to the body kit, the lack of parking sensors, and the lack of the black button on the door handles. I really don't know. I was just thinking of getting some opinions.

Do it!......... It will look heaps better i reckon. IMO do not like the badges, i reckon they look very plastic and cheap (personal opion), the beast will look heaps tougher without them. Who cares what people think, you car, your style dude. Anyone with a clue will know its a sportivo, and anyone who doesnt probably is a chump anyways, and who cares about a chumps opinon.

Ive gotta get around and do mine, but I havent even got the time to scratch my nuts lately. Lets us know how easy they come off. Any whether there was any colour differnce from where the bage was sitting.

You post this topic 1 day before I posted pictures of my debadging + new grill. gooooosh (Napoleon Dynamite style)

I removed the all 3 of the 'Aurion' badges (...one is adorning the blank spot under the radio), sportivo & sx6. Wifey didnt want me to do it but after I did she agreed it looked a hell of a lot better. IMO the badges as is look slapped on in a spare spot, as if the boot wasn't designed to have them sitting there. Now it looks smooth & even.

No holes/pins either...dont know about the T symbol because its recessed in the boot lid so would look silly without the badge.

Who cares what people think. It's your car not theirs. I think its an improvement actually.

Ive gotta get around and do mine, but I havent even got the time to scratch my nuts lately. Lets us know how easy they come off. Any whether there was any colour differnce from where the bage was sitting.

Shotgun not scratching your nuts for you.

Come off easy, make sure you warm the panel as well as the badge. Easier to do when its a hot day.

When I did mine there was a slight colour difference but I did a wax afterwards & was fine. Mines close to 3 years old too. Ill get around to a cut/polish soon enough.

Shotgun not scratching your nuts for you.

Come off easy, make sure you warm the panel as well as the badge. Easier to do when its a hot day.

When I did mine there was a slight colour difference but I did a wax afterwards & was fine. Mines close to 3 years old too. Ill get around to a cut/polish soon enough.

LOL.................ill tell the other candiates that you have already called shotgun, and will be excluded from the biggest event this year " THE GREAT BONDIE BALL -SCRATCH OF 2008"........LOL

Cheers for the info dude, ill try and find some time this weekend to do mine. When are ya posting up some photos of what ya done.

When are ya posting up some photos of what ya done.

Should be doing grill DIY Saturday morning, grill comes today & badges are already done...might try sneak a few pics tonight if I get home early enough.

Okay guys, I went ahead and removed my badges. I was probably going to do it anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think of such a move. I did a quick photoshop for my own reference, but sadly, pictures just don't give a good enough feel for what the real life work is like. The car has too much of a 'personality' to depict in a photo, hehehe.

So armed with a hair dryer, fishing line, and some oomph, I started to remove the Sportivo badge first. If I didn't like the 'naked' appearance, it would be easiest to re-attach this badge being just one single piece. After cleaning up all the adhesive with the oomph, I absolutely loved the result. Everything else just had to come off now. After about 20-25 minutes of work, my badges were off.

One tip, if you remove your badges, try to remove as much adhesive as you can using something like your thumbnail before using a glue remover such as oomph. If you have a large amount left, when you apply the oomph, the adhesive loosens from the surface and becomes a tar like substance. It can be rather annoying trying to lift it from the surface because in this state, it just pushes around on the surface and is hard to pick up.

Anyways, enough with that. Here is the final result after a wash. In bright light you can partially see where the emblem was. After this post, I am going to wax my car (as I do every Thursday) and will use a bit of swirl remover around the emblem area to make it perfect. Now I really want that new grill which has no Toyota badge at the front so all I have is just one Toyota badge on the car which will be the one on the boot lid (as long as you don't count the centre caps for the rims).

dsc02866rf6.th.jpg dsc02863jr3.th.jpg

And a before and after:

dsc02830lw2.th.jpg dsc02869ln6.th.jpg

Edit:

Dun debadge the sides thou....They look good...

Too late. I thought if I was going to the effort for the back, I may as well go all out.

I removed the all 3 of the 'Aurion' badges (...one is adorning the blank spot under the radio)

That's what I'm going to do with one of mine. Though, BLCKLABEL deserves credit for coming up with that idea.

Does anyone else agree that the bootlid wasn't designed to have the badges where they are? As in they were an after thought and just put on where they fit?

At least by fitting the badges down the bottom into the gap under the lights, it saves from having it on the upper corner like on the Camry. In my opinion, the Camry with its badges up high is not as clean fitting as the Aurion. Either way, regardless of the position, it's either you keep them, you move them to suit your taste, or you remove them completely. I was thinking that I would regret my decision, but I absolutely love the look. The Aurion has the perfect body to completely debadge.

Now I really want to get myself a new front grill and then get rid of one more badge.

I think debadging on most cars makes the look much better and tougher cos it looks simple but it gives you strong impact without the badges.

Also, it makes ppl to look again your car becos they would like to know what your car is. :D

Ah.. U did the sides as well...

I personally thought it'll look less good.. Which is why I didnt take the sides off...

Anw, Stick the 'Aurion' from ur rear into the space somewhere in front of the gear and under the screen Navigation..

Some1 in the forum did that and it turned out really well.. Give some 'class' when u enter ur car.

did mine a few weeks ago, think it finishes off nicely. Then put the Sportivo and ZR6 badge from the right onto my centre console

goddammit - yes credit to blacklbl!!

was there enough sticky to stick on the centre consol or did you have to apply another adhesive.

Good job- looks good

Edited by BONDIE

Looks great DJKOR. I definatly have to get off my ***** and do mine sometime soon.... Think even with a new grill though I am going to keep the side Aurion Badging and also the Toyota badges on the front and back.. When I get round to it I'll photo shop my idea for the front mesh grill I have rekon It'll give a sporty look but put a badge and body colour hub to mount it on won't make it look too plain.

Edited by mrdau

I took the rear Aurion badge off my black SX6 last weekend and it looks a hell of a lot better, the SX6 badge is coming off today, I am just letter the car warm up in the sun during the hot part of the day so it aids me in getting the badge off with minimal fuss, I think I will put it on the console as well like others have done as well. It looks a hell of a lot cleaner without the badge, I am not sure what to do with the side lettering though..............