New RunX RSi (Sportivo) has hit SA

Nish

Its finally here :D . I have spoken to a Toy Rep and confirmed by a small article in the "Car Magazine".

The new RSi (Sportivo) has the same power output as the Old ones. Except that it has a upgraded Airbox, ECU, Intake and Exhaust which apparently makes the power and torque band a little bit smother and the car thus becomes more "Drive-able."

My bud has ordered one, which will apparently be in my local showroom this afternoon. Will definitely be going to check it out. Although I doubt they will allow me to take it for a "Spin" :rolleyes:

So it seems it will have the upgrades we have ... with the exception of the exhaust and intake ??

Will keep you guys informed ...

Nish

Its finally here  :D .  I have spoken to a Toy Rep and confirmed by a small article in the "Car Magazine".

The new RSi (Sportivo) has the same power output as the Old ones.  Except that it has a upgraded Airbox, ECU, Intake and Exhaust which apparently makes the power and torque band a little bit smother and the car thus becomes more "Drive-able."

My bud has ordered one, which will apparently be in my local showroom this afternoon.  Will definitely be going to check it out.  Although I doubt they will allow me to take it for a "Spin"  :rolleyes:

So it seems it will have the upgrades we have ... with the exception of the exhaust and intake ??

Will keep you guys informed ...

Nish

mmm yeah yeah drool slurp.... :P :P :P

pics please

Here is a pic of the new RSi from the South African Toyota website:

The new model in South Africa is getting a little trip computer in the sound system, average fuel consumption, average speed, etc. Otherwise it doesn't look much different to the old one, just the new front end.

To me, the old Sportivo had more differentiation over the "lesser" Corolla models, but that's just my opinion. :)

Hey, that's my 100th post ... do I get a prize or something??? :D

Edited by Buddha

Well, to check that out, someone with a 2005 model will need to go for a dyno in future.

Even though it's advertised for 141kw, the manager at a dealership informed me that they have 150+kw engine to avoid complaints from customers about power loss. So this would allow about 10% of inaccuracy for Toyota's advertisement.

Again, it could be bs from typical dealers.

Well, to check that out, someone with a 2005 model will need to go for a dyno in future.

Even though it's advertised for 141kw,  the manager at a dealership informed me that they have 150+kw engine to avoid complaints from customers about power loss. So this would allow about 10% of inaccuracy for Toyota's advertisement.

Again, it could be bs from typical dealers.

I thought the complaints about power loss were aleviated with the new ECU?

Also, were there any similar compaints from Celica owners? Just wondering why the Stivo's didn't get the correct ECU in the first place ... I was under the impression that it was a straight lift from the Celica.

LO,

Stopped at the local service depo in Johannesburg(killarney) this morning, to drop off my car, and they had a bright apple red RunX RSI 05 on the floor.

I'll get in this afternoon to have a closer look, as they couldn't find the keys before the drop off guy came to pick me up.

They still have the same "extremely expensive" tyre sizes, and the front and rear of the car changed. they don't have the sportier "honeycomb" grille anymore, and they also have the teardop lights in front. No immediate difference between the RSI and the normal 180.

Rear lights have been changed to something with round light sockets, almost like the lexus.

Interior from what I could see through the windows, must have been customised by the buyer, as they had a carbon fiber look to them(the dash inserts & the window buttons)

It also has steering wheel controls for the volume now, so you won't have to reach so far for the knob.

The rest looks the same....???

The new model in South Africa is getting a little trip computer in the sound system, average fuel consumption, average speed, etc. Otherwise it doesn't look much different to the old one, just the new front end.

To me, the old Sportivo had more differentiation over the "lesser" Corolla models, but that's just my opinion. :)

Damn cars where stuck in "Inspection" all weekend !! <_< Will only be released this morning ... but it looks like it will be sort of the same when compared with the 180RX model. Except for the power of course.

Some sales person actually told me the VVTL would actually kick in at 4000 RPM :blink: but seeing is believing, cause most delears and the article in our local magazine dont say anything about this.

We in SA ... actually got that trip computer as standard ... its actually more irritating than anything else, cause if you use and its on all the time, you find yourself trying to keep the fuel consumption down. I used it for the 1st couple of weeks, it started to drive me bats ... so now I only check it out once in a while. :D

The new model in South Africa is getting a little trip computer in the sound system, average fuel consumption, average speed, etc.  Otherwise it doesn't look much different to the old one, just the new front end.

To me, the old Sportivo had more differentiation over the "lesser" Corolla models, but that's just my opinion.  :)

Hey, that's my 100th post ... do I get a prize or something???  :D

hi buddha ...

Just to let you know the RSi and all our models for that matter always had the trip computer , with average and even real time fuel consumption ... the main difference is that my one has a single disc and the new car has a six disc in dash unit but it looks the same from the outside - also they get a steering control for the sound system .. i heard that toyota south africa supplied the cars to austalia without head units ???

The new model in South Africa is getting a little trip computer in the sound system, average fuel consumption, average speed, etc.  Otherwise it doesn't look much different to the old one, just the new front end.

To me, the old Sportivo had more differentiation over the "lesser" Corolla models, but that's just my opinion.   :)

hi buddha ...

Just to let you know the RSi and all our models for that matter always had the trip computer , with average and even real time fuel consumption ... the main difference is that my one has a single disc and the new car has a six disc in dash unit but it looks the same from the outside - also they get a steering control for the sound system .. i heard that toyota south africa supplied the cars to austalia without head units ???

The reason it was probably shipped without a head unit is because in Aus standard we get the 6 disc in dash stacker and as u indicated you only recieved the single disc ;) ;) ;)

To me, the old Sportivo had more differentiation over the "lesser" Corolla models, but that's just my opinion.   :)

hi buddha ...

The vehicles were actually shipped with some form of head unit as when you look at the mounting bracket that is in the dash, you can clearly see where screws had previously been mounted holding a different head unit using different holes on the bracket - My guess is that whay ever head unit was in their was either incompatible due to FM Frequencing (which I cant understand because it is a fairly standardised facility worldwide) or they needed to upgrade the head unit to 6 stacker when they got here because the Levin/Conquests/Ultima all only have singles and being higher up the grade, they had to do something woth it....

I guess we'll never know unless mr Toyota himself appears on the forum

The vehicles were actually shipped with some form of head unit as when you look at the mounting bracket that is in the dash, you can clearly see where screws had previously been mounted holding a different head unit using different holes on the bracket - My guess is that whay ever head unit was in their was either incompatible due to FM Frequencing (which I cant understand because it is a fairly standardised facility worldwide) or they needed to upgrade the head unit to 6 stacker when they got here because the Levin/Conquests/Ultima all only have singles and being higher up the grade, they had to do something woth it....

I guess we'll never know unless mr Toyota himself appears on the forum

If you look at Jap imports, the radio in them only goes up to 104MHz, where in Aus the standard is up to 108MHz. As most of the major commercial station seem to be in the range of 104-108MHz, you can see how this can be a problem. Not sure what the Sth Africa standard is though...

Cheers

Dylan