commison jobs

Ascendant Rice

Hi i just passed round one of interviews for marketing company and he told me pay was commsion based.

here is the add

http://seek.com.au/users/apply/index.ascx?...2&Keywords=

this section confused me

"$35,000-$55,500

ote/comm/inc" can any 1 explain?

also with commision work is there like a base wage or something?

The Add Is Pretty Bad....With "Oppenings" Rather Than "Openings" LoL I Would Not Even Bother To Apply...The "HR Manager" Can't Even Get A Few Sentences Right :-l That's Poor Performance. Also The Advertise Itself Is Quite Misleading And Confusing...I Would Say It Is Done Intentionally...All The Best In Any Case! ^_^

Each business and industry have different ways of doing it. Some times it is purely based on the comms so pretty much if a sales role % you make of the sale is the only income your making. From memory the % is a lot higher then if you have a base pay. The other way of doing is to have a very small base pay + a certin % of the sale is your commission. Good thing about a sales role if your good at what you do you can make alot more then your yearly wage.

The Add Is Pretty Bad....With "Oppenings" Rather Than "Openings" LoL I Would Not Even Bother To Apply...The "HR Manager" Can't Even Get A Few Sentences Right :-l That's Poor Performance. Also The Advertise Itself Is Quite Misleading And Confusing...I Would Say It Is Done Intentionally...All The Best In Any Case! ^_^

Sorry But Do You Really Have To Type Like This? There Is No Need To Uppercase Every Word You Say....

The best way is to call them up and ask them for further information.

I will give you a slight example here. I used to work for Telstra in-bound call center (only people call in we don't call out), and I was on a base salary of $45,000 p.a.

The $5,000 of that 45k is based on commission. If I meet my sales targets every month for the whole year, that portion is mine for keeps.

On top of that, if I exceeded (say I had to sell 24 contracts a month) my targets frequently, anything on top of the 24 contracts I sell I get to pocket 20% of that contract. For example, this month I've already met my target of 24. My 25th contract I sold was for 36 months that totaled $3,000. The amount I would pocket would be $3,000 x 20% which equates to $600.

Does that make sense?

To tell you the truth, sales jobs are gay. More likely than not you're going to get a yelled at by unhappy customers. The targets that you have to meet are generally outrageous, and you'd have a really strict timetable for lunch and breaks.

Given my experiences with sales (albeit this was 4 years ago when I was 19) I'd say look for something more secure. Plus, make sure the job you're looking at isn't entirely based on commission. Otherwise, if I don't sell anything you don't get a single penny.

To tell you the truth, sales jobs are gay. More likely than not you're going to get a yelled at by unhappy customers. The targets that you have to meet are generally outrageous, and you'd have a really strict timetable for lunch and breaks.

Oh man. Don't remind me eh. I am stuck in a finance inbound call centre. It is on the point of completely doing my head in. I'm only there because it's flexible enough to fit my study. I swear, once I finish my course next month, I am so going to quit that job and return to my old one. Pays nearly twice as much and I get travel and accommodation included when I need to work interstate.

Given my experiences with sales (albeit this was 4 years ago when I was 19) I'd say look for something more secure. Plus, make sure the job you're looking at isn't entirely based on commission. Otherwise, if I don't sell anything you don't get a single penny.

It really depends what type of sales you are doing and the company your working for. I work as a sales assisant in a real estate agency it really depends on the office you work in, but we can take lunch whenever we went bosses are pretty relaxed and dont put any pressure on us unless your not preforming and not making sales or listings. I personally have been doing real estate for the past couple of years (1 year in property management side) and i dont see myself doing anything else for a living.

It really depends what type of sales you are doing and the company your working for. I work as a sales assisant in a real estate agency it really depends on the office you work in, but we can take lunch whenever we went bosses are pretty relaxed and dont put any pressure on us unless your not preforming and not making sales or listings. I personally have been doing real estate for the past couple of years (1 year in property management side) and i dont see myself doing anything else for a living.

Dude that is totally different lol. Your sales has a more 'prestige' tag to it. Here the sales we're talking about is non stop on the go, people call in and you pick up. People walk past and you pick them up kinda thing. It's more of a small potato job (no disrespect to those who has this occupation :P). Yours is more a business development type sales/marketing job.

Call center is much more demanding in terms of meeting targets, even though it's proportionally less than what you sell estates for.

Solely commission based jobs are bad - cos if you make no sales, then they dont have to pay you.

That said, you shouldn't stay away from commission based jobs completely. If you can find one that pays you a base wage, but offers performance bonuses on top - providing you work hard you should be able to do alright out of it. The base wage will be lower though, due to the potential to earn on top of it...

Dude that is totally different lol. Your sales has a more 'prestige' tag to it. Here the sales we're talking about is non stop on the go, people call in and you pick up. People walk past and you pick them up kinda thing. It's more of a small potato job (no disrespect to those who has this occupation :P). Yours is more a business development type sales/marketing job.

Call center is much more demanding in terms of meeting targets, even though it's proportionally less than what you sell estates for.

Totally agree, like i said before it really depends what industry of sales and the product your selling. Be in a call centre and selling eg telstra, aapt or ibm. I couldn't do it i prefer to be out and about meeting people. But being a Sales rep of some sort or being in real estate. I find is alot better because your not stuck an in office building, your out and about meeting people face to face etc.

I personally prefer to do things face to face then over the phone. In terms of what you wanna do William it is totally up to you. There are plenty of appertianceships just bare in mind there are 4 years etc. I actually did a 1 year traineeship in Real Estate which i found alot better then going to tafe. With sales its more about hands on experience then a piece of paper that says you know your stuff.

Also (dont take this the wrong way) you would really need to work on you confidence etc when dealing with people. Before starting in real estate i was shy and wasnt that confident in myself. Still not 100& confident in myself, but my confidence grows everyday.

Edited by Cappuccino

I worked in pure commission-based telco sales for a little while and I found that you only made money if you:

a.) were a ditzy, flirty, super hot 18 year old Canadian chick with big cans, or

b.) lied

I couldn't bring myself to do one (and couldn't afford the surgery to do the other) so I waited until after I had a degree and got a better sales job. As 'cino boy said, if you're good at it, you can make enough to pay off your mortgage in half the time. But I found it was too much for me to do straight out of high school. One guy I worked with was on the brink of getting fired every week because his customers kept calling Optus and complaining that they were duped.

I used to sell Burgular alarms.. for FAI Home Security.

it was 100% commission IE.. no retainer... if you didnt sell you didnt eat. I did ok... with average of 8 systems a week... $225 commission per system...

but i got tired of robbing old people or the gulible out of their money.

preying on peoples emotions and fears isnt my idea of a rewarding job.

Well to make yourselves feel better, you could say you were just searching for emotions within your potential customer to turn a potential sale into a realised sale.

It isn't exactly lying, you're just pressing all the right buttons for them to buy. Or as some say, you're just bending the words a little bit.

:rolleyes: