Service rip-off

Last winter I picked up my car from the 6 month/10,000km service, and because it was raining I noticed my windscreen washer bottle was empty. But the dealer had charged me 90 cents for detergent washer fluid on the service invoice. Because I couldn't be bothered at the time to return, I let it slide.

Then yesterday I had my car serviced again (12 month/20,000km) but to prevent the same thing happening I had previously filled the washer bottle to the top at home.

So imagine my surprise when the same 90 cent charge reared it's ugly head again. The guy at the service desk of my nameless dealer was mightily embarassed to be caught out, and promptly refunded my $1 (including GST). He also promised to "raise the issue" with whoever.

My problem is two-fold:

1) Whoever actually serviced the car was clearly too stupid to actually check the fluid level, and decided to try and charge me for products they didn't use

2) Perhaps more worryingly, I started to think about what other services or products they are charging me for that they are not actually providing. For example, I was told the $6 "Miscellaneous" charge on the invoice was to cover grease or other lubricants, but are they really putting $6 of **** on my car every 6 months???

Anyway, thought I'd just post and see people's thoughts.

I intend to call the service manager when I calm down to follow up on the issue and I also can't wait until Toyota send me their next Customer Satisfaction questionnaire :angry:

I rang up the local Toyota dealer for a quote on my 30,000 km log book service. He gave me a price of $340 (!!!)

I took it to the mechanic I've been using for years. He did the log book service and changes my air filter, and bled my brakes. Cost all up? $100 even!

I had that crappy charge as well, quite annoying really, i mean they try and squeeze every cent out of you. I also left some $2 dollar and $1 coins in cup holders, needless to say all the $2 ones were picked off.

And you didn't complain?

I guess it's easy to understand how the dealers make all their money from service, and none (or even losses) from car sales.

You reckon that's true? The bottle is behind the bodywork, like the resonator bottle on the intake side. At the very least you would need to get the splashguard off from the right front of the vehicle, then you can pull the hose off the washer motor. Or you can remove the black funnel and siphon out some fluid.

Either way, sounds like they would be doing more work than would justify the $1 charge...?

Whatever, I still reckon it's shonky.

So it isn't just main dealers on my side of the World that are shoddy. It appears you people suffer as well.

In the county where I live there was 2 months ago a massive purge buy a well known consumer magazine on garages and it was discovered that the worst offenders were Main franchise dealers. The local none franchise garages were found to be more helpful and customer focused ...and found to actually do all the jobs/repairs required /charged for.