Super charging a zre

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on how much boost you plan to run, and if you're going to intercool it or not.

If you're just going to run 7 psi the engine will hold together fine, you just have to be very careful with the tune to keep the knock levels down. Intercooling helps immensely as the lower the intake temp the easier it is to keep knock under control.

So once you have all the custom fabrication complete to make everything fit, then you'll need an appropriate aftermarket ECU that can control the DBW, dual VVTI etc and larger injectors to be able to supply enough fuel.

Edited by rollamods

i had the same thinking when i was on my p's the research but no money

similar to a turbo

headers

exhaust

injectors/pump

ecu

fmic

piping n installation

heavy duty clutch/tranny cooler

If you really want to smash the boost you might have to upgrade your bottom end. Ie: forged pistons, connecting rods, crank, etc...

Judging from the P plate in your display pic, you aren't allowed to drive anything with a supercharger anyway...

atm theres not much kits and mods for the zre152 there should be some on market in 2 years till then i want to research and save up for the job :)

udging from the P plate in your display pic, you aren't allowed to drive anything with a supercharger anyway...

can you honestly see a cop pulling over a p plater in a corolla and getting the driver to pop the bonnet. as long as you dont have a bonnet with a scope and hide the turbo/charger towards the rear of the motor.

Edited by rollin-low

udging from the P plate in your display pic, you aren't allowed to drive anything with a supercharger anyway...

can you honestly see a cop pulling over a p plater in a corolla and getting the driver to pop the bonnet. as long as you dont have a bonnet with a scope and hide the turbo/charger towards the rear of the motor.

good point i have no problems with police with my rolla as apart from the wheels it looks stock unless u get up close u can see the cooler

In NSW - Which he is - Driving FI/V8 is illegal.

Its a condition of license so - Car is technically unregistered/uninsured when he is behind the wheel (Conifrm?)

The fine its self is 3 points + $1000 fine.

I would love to be driving FI, but i looked at the risks and its honestly not worth it - Not to mention the experience you will gather on the path to getting your fulls in a year/s time.

you know what i reacon u shoould do i think turbo instead of supercharge theres enough room for a nice sice turbo between the motor n fire wall as long as u can find a good fabricator n tuner that can tune both those vvti mechanism to work with the turbo not oly will u get good power but because of where the exhaust is n all the covers around the front of the car noone would even know its turbo charge but if u go with the s/c well u all know where that goes n most police know the difference between a normal intake manifold n a s/c

good point i have no problems with police with my rolla as apart from the wheels it looks stock unless u get up close u can see the cooler

yes. then if you crash or hurt someone you will be up for a big court case. and insurance wont cover you.

just save up till your off your P's

just save up...

...for a real car :rolleyes:

We all love our Corollas here but if you want something fast then buy something fast. If you want a fast Corolla then open your wallet and bend over... (especially the overweight ZRE)

If you want a turbo or a s/c car, buy a turbo skyline or a TT supra. Plenty of go and not nearly as much headache to look after as a modded corolla.

Good luck claiming warranty when the crap hits the fan.

Edited by Modena

Judging from the P plate in your display pic, you aren't allowed to drive anything with a supercharger anyway...

atm theres not much kits and mods for the zre152 there should be some on market in 2 years till then i want to research and save up for the job :)

If you want a turbo or a s/c car, buy a turbo skyline or a TT supra. Plenty of go and not nearly as much headache to look after as a modded corolla.

since my car is one year old and i get my fulls in 2 years meanign if i do supercharge itll be then. warranty wouldnt matter anyway?

since my car is one year old and i get my fulls in 2 years meanign if i do supercharge itll be then. warranty wouldnt matter anyway?

You dont sound like you own a lot of money or the knowledge for a project such as this, I cant see bolting on a blower being cheap, as tyres, brakes and etc all need to be changed to match extra power.

I bought my rolla for cruising economy... I sold my turbo skyline prior.

Anyway, you have my pov.

Gluck

You dont sound like you own a lot of money or the knowledge for a project such as this, I cant see bolting on a blower being cheap, as tyres, brakes and etc all need to be changed to match extra power.

Anyway, you have my pov.

Gluck

I don't think you'd have to spend too much money on upgrading everything else - SC's give increased torque, not max power output. The biggest killer you'd have is destroying boxes.

You could do it for almost the same as a turbo conversion, if you know the right people.

I don't think you'd have to spend too much money on upgrading everything else - SC's give increased torque, not max power output. The biggest killer you'd have is destroying boxes.

You could do it for almost the same as a turbo conversion, if you know the right people.

A supercharger on 10psi wont kill a C series box.

Anyway, you have my pov.

Gluck

If your modding a car u wouldn't give a crap about warranty anyway ....... mate u got such a -ve outlook on things dont u ..... maybe Will doesnt want to be a sheeple ..... skyline .... supra ..... dont get me wrong nice cars but where is the originality in that ????? yeah thats right there is none bcuz they have been done 2 death ......

now u comment on his money & knowledge ..... [sarcasm] unless ur the oracle & can see into the future [/sarcasm] u have absolutely no idea what will's status is going to be in 2yrs time .....

good 2 c u had a goal and an outcome to achieve with ur rolla ..... guess wat ..... it would be a damn boring place if we all thought alike dont u think .......

if i thought that way we'd never have seen a sportivo pushing 250kw @ wheels now would we ........

Will if u want 2 attain something ..... do the planning .... do the reading ..... do the learning ..... remember failing to plan is planning to fail and trust me ..... u will get SOOOOOOO many ppl telling u wat ur doing isnt worth it .... shouldnt be done YADA YADA YADA ..... yep thats all i hear when these ppl open their mouths ...... and enjoy the joys with creating something u did urself.

just bear in mind do it all the right way and dont cut any corners and u shouldnt have any issues ..... yeah u might face ur occasional teething issue ..... but thats all the fun ;)

on the timing and budgeting perspective ..... work it all out on paper then have an extra 50% as contingency ..... u never knw wat might come up.

If you do go for Super charging don't forget the badge

post-3374-1228134428_thumb.jpg

(Badge from Corolla Compressor - A supercharged ZZE-123 offered in European market)

Seriously though if you do go for it best of luck and listen to the wise like Xoom, who have actually done this sort of thing, and yes you are right to start planning and looking around now so come two years time you know what to get and where to get it

Edited by jps137

Good advice Bil.

The reason i want to mod up my rolla is a)no one wants too B) too prove my mates wrong c)becasue i can :D

im not looking for an insane amoutn of power i just want to improve the cars torque and get a kick ***** whine out of it :D

any one have an ideas where i could find an apporpriate s/c and mayeb recommed a fabricator around sydney?