Super charging a zre

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasnt even gona open this thread but couldnt help my self, i agree with xoom completly but not when the thread was started by this guy, it took u 6weeks to save up for your trd badge...... wake the hell up

Where the hell did you get 6 weeks from?......... and who says im not gonna have a job in 2 years time? mate grow the **** up

I don't think you'd have to spend too much money on upgrading everything else - SC's give increased torque, not max power output. The biggest killer you'd have is destroying boxes.

You could do it for almost the same as a turbo conversion, if you know the right people.

They still go quicker, and cheap Nexen tyres wont do the job. You'll need to start off with suspension, brakes, ECU, chassis upgrades, bolt on engine mods. Not sure whats out at the moment ECU wise for the ZRE, but that will be the most important factor. Can't do the work if you can't control it. Just work your way up to it and you can back out at any time if you've got/had enough.

wasnt even gona open this thread but couldnt help my self, i agree with xoom completely but not when the thread was started by this guy, it took u 6weeks to save up for your trd badge...... wake the hell up

Where the hell did you get 6 weeks from?......... and who says im not gonna have a job in 2 years time? mate grow the **** up

Dude, seriously - spillige has a point, even if he was wrong about your TRD badge.

The idea was nice in theory, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you only want to do the supercharger thing to look cool.

We've all been there - even I had plans to model my car on a few peoples' around here - but at the end of the day, unless you really love this stuff, it becomes hard to justify spending all that cash. Especially when you will never be able to compete with a properly fast car anyway.

As for Xoom - he is in the later half of his twenties, and is a business analyst. I'm sure even he took care of his rent, family, bills etc before using his pocket money to build his pocket rocket.

You on the other hand, are no more than 18, cried your eyes out a couple of time with a couple of threads, have no job - and were looking for a delivery job, according to your own thread. That is not gonna get you a supercharged car - nor is the supercharged car going to get you a good start in life. I'd also wager that your parents pay your rego and insurance - so have you even asked if they will be willing to pay for everything once you void the insurance?

Xoom even gave his advice - to do your homework - but what did you do all of 4 posts later? Just asked people where to find a supercharger, and who is good to fit it!!! That's just insulting. Do you even know the part numbers of what you want, or know the appropriate gear that will fit those parts?

My advice to you would be spend a few hundred dollars and get yourself a CAMS license, helmet, and fire extinguisher, and go have some fun on a track. If you still really like the idea of supercharging your ZRE in 2 yrs time, after learning how to use your car in controlled conditions, then go for it.

But before you start telling people to grow the **** up - get yourself a clue.

AJ: Beyond what has already been said, I don't think there is any point for you to plan 2 years from now at any rate. What I am telling you, you won't appreciate until later in life I spose, but you may very well be over your car in 2 years, and perhaps before then. I'm 32, and when me and my friends got our first cars, it was normal to buy a car almost as old as ourselves (or older!). I came from the "it's going to get scratched, so you might aswell buy a beater anyhow" generation. But things have changed alot in 15 years I see. I don't know if it's the lower cost of cars now, or peer pressure from friends earning decent money, or a flippant attitude towards getting a loan easily, but younger ppl today always want things beyond their means. I say, if you cannot get a supercharger legally in 2 years, wait 2 years to make the decision. By that time you can buy a car that is already super or turbocharged, and potentially a lot nicer than you are already driving.

I tried modding a car once, and I really did buy the wrong car to mod. I struggled with that car, and eventualy hated it because it never lived up to my aspirations. In the end, I just bought a 1988 Ford Laser TX3 Turbo, and I have slapped a bigger turbo on it, and done up the suspension. I've got interior, stereo and eventually a new paint job happening too. But this car makes me smile and reminds me of my youth (when ppl drove older cars), and it didn't cost me much to buy it and mod it. Even the insurance isn't bad, infact it's better than my Sportivo! What I am saying is, if you want a quick car, buy a quick car from the outset. The law makes it so you have to wait, so that's what you are going to have to do. But I say since you have to wait, you should also wait before you make your decision too. You will find as you mature, so will your tastes in mods, and cars in general. In the meantime you get an opportunity to observe other cars in the club, and see what you like vs whatever else.

Cheers, Gav.

Good advice there Gav. I certainly agree with you there. A lot can change over time, and this includes tastes. Two years ago I was into all the imports and turbos. I was actually going to get a 200SX S15 and was so close to buying it. I then realised that I just got carried away in all the hype. I realised that I should be more practical and get a larger car instead, hence the Aurion.

The only reason why I wan't to modify my Aurion is because I see so many others doing so, and I feel left behind. It's a bad habit that is hard to overcome. In terms of high performance though, I would rather save the money and buy a car dedicated for it as it was built to handle it. At the end of the day, if you just have it on the road and don't take it to the track, most high performance mods are either for head turning or personal satisfaction, or both.

You just need to figure whether you really are spending you money wisely. You still have quite a bit ahead of you Will, and I think you would be better off saving your money in the meantime. You may get satisfaction from modding your Corolla, but would you be as satisfied if you couldn't keep up with living expenses?

AMEN!!!!

EDIT:

I bought my sportivo.. Knowing i was going to mod it. I had it all planned out already.. i learnt ALOT on the way but the basic guidelines were there.

Unfortunately ZRE152's arent suited for Performance applications... and haters would say the same for the 2zzge's of the world...

But knowing your limitations and being able to get the best out of your car for the budget is the most important thing.

Spend your money on Handling mods and you will enjoy the power you have alot more.

or take this advice... really learn to drive your car. Any fool can drive a car quick in a straight line... but get to a track and really know the boundaries of your car.

Most importantly have fun while you do it.

If i had a $$$ for the amount of times Xoom's said to me.. "you know you want to turbo it!!" reff'ing my car... i'd be a rich man and could prolly pay for the Turbo! hahaa... but i dont want to go down that path... its costly, and more often than not.. not as rewarding if you dont do ALL the ancillories... (Brakes, Wheels, Tyres, Cooling, ECU, Suspension, ETC)

Will i tend to agree with everyone else. Wait the two years (which will fly btw) see what your financial situation is at the time and then see whether you want to go down the force induction path or buy something if you did want to keep it in the Toyota family i would be looking at the 1jz chasers and also the 2jz supras.

The idea was nice in theory, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you only want to do the supercharger thing to look cool.

No.

You on the other hand, are no more than 18, cried your eyes out a couple of time with a couple of threads

so becasue i "cried" means i cant?

I'd also wager that your parents pay your rego and insurance - so have you even asked if they will be willing to pay for everything once you void the insurance?

i pay for everything including the car repayments.

how do you do that without a job?

when i was 15 worked at hoyts for a year. saved up 10 grand. now im using it. tho i need a job b4 the supply dips a bit low.

ive decided. im not gonna supercharge my rolla im just gonna rice it up then. buy either a chaser or a soarer.

Edited by Ascendant justice

1.The idea was nice in theory, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you only want to do the supercharger thing to look cool.

No.

2.You on the other hand, are no more than 18, cried your eyes out a couple of time with a couple of threads

3.I'd also wager that your parents pay your rego and insurance - so have you even asked if they will be willing to pay for everything once you void the insurance?

1. I stand corrected. :)

2. This indicates your emotional maturity, which I applied to a very long and expensive process. <_<

3. I stand corrected again. :)

I wasn't saying don't do it EVER - I was saying not to do it unless you are 100% committed to doing it sensibly, and have done as much homework as Xoom.

Apparently you're not doing it anymore, anyway. End of story.

99% of users on this forum are too scared to do anything but rice mods anyway

and the other 1%? just talk about it?

lets not turn this into a ****** contest rollamods....

x2...

1.The idea was nice in theory, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you only want to do the supercharger thing to look cool.

No.

2.You on the other hand, are no more than 18, cried your eyes out a couple of time with a couple of threads

3.I'd also wager that your parents pay your rego and insurance - so have you even asked if they will be willing to pay for everything once you void the insurance?

1. I stand corrected. :)

2. This indicates your emotional maturity, which I applied to a very long and expensive process. <_<

3. I stand corrected again. :)

I wasn't saying don't do it EVER - I was saying not to do it unless you are 100% committed to doing it sensibly, and have done as much homework as Xoom.

Apparently you're not doing it anymore, anyway. End of story.

fair nuff. i reckon it be cheaper just to get a chaser so thats what i might do. hehe or a soarer they go for pretty cheap on carsales.com.au.

Bloody hoons ruin the fun for the non hoon enthusisets P plate legislation :(