Finally Got rid of those Speakers!

PaulMT

Finally got round to over hauling the pathetic sound system that comes with the Aurion.

I Replaced all four 6x9's with Fusion 3way 6x9's. I left the tweeters in the dash.

I also replaced the head deck with a JVC KD-AVX44 and installed a Sony 600W Amp under the passenger seat.

The difference is HUGE I wish I had done this before. Cruising is right back up there with some of the other life pleasures again! :whistling:

For a look at the JVC Head deck Click here!

The deck is a single din but a factory supplied "blank" seats the head deck really nicely with a storage tray below.

Photo's to come soon.

If you aren't happy with the sounds in your Aurion do this ASAP it really is worth the outlay! :yahoo:

----------------

Congrats on the new system, sounds like it was well worth it. Nice looking head deck too...

The deck is a single din but a factory supplied "blank" seats the head deck really nicely with a storage tray below.

Photo's to come soon.

----------------

Quick question about the above, I'm not a fan of the double din setup and will be looking to upgrade my stock outfit as soon as I find a head deck I like.

How much was the factory "blank" you refer to? Able to source from your local Toyota parts dealer? Part number?

Cheers.

Finally got round to over hauling the pathetic sound system that comes with the Aurion.

I Replaced all four 6x9's with Fusion 3way 6x9's. I left the tweeters in the dash.

I also replaced the head deck with a JVC KD-AVX44 and installed a Sony 600W Amp under the passenger seat.

The difference is HUGE I wish I had done this before. Cruising is right back up there with some of the other life pleasures again! :whistling:

For a look at the JVC Head deck Click here!

Photo's to come soon.

If you aren't happy with the sounds in your Aurion do this ASAP it really is worth the outlay! :yahoo:

----------------

Talkin about huge difference...How much does it cost u?

Been drivin my friends' new Accord Euro...It makes the Aurion's Audio and the sound proof inside very sh!t...

If it's within my range....why not..

Sorry for the delay in replying...

@ TRD110 Thanks :-) The Factory Blank was NZ$180 (about AU$150) and was supplied by the JVC agents here, but I believe it is a Toyota part though I don't know what the part no. is.

@ eSEXSIX No, I had a professional Car Audio company do the work. They had the car for an hour to make all the required measurements etc. The Front Aurion speakers were destroyed in the removal process and the rears required re-drilling to suit the Fusion holes. The rears although the coils are huge slot in nicely between the boot lid tensioners and the fronts fitted without to much issue into the door and obviously miss the window.

@ VF-X All up cost with the Head Deck, 4x 3way Fusion 6x9's, Fitting my Sony 600W amp under the passenger seat, pre-wiring for a SUB and the dash blank with fitting labour was NZ$1600 (Approx AU$1300) I could have shopped around but I have done a lot with this particular company and I like the way they treat me and the quality of their work and back up is second to none.

Your right about the poor sound proofing of the Aurion, though I can't hear any of that now :blink:

Our roads are quite heavy chip and with the wider wheels makes for a noisy ride. Anyway fixed by installing better sounds!

@ pinzvidz The OEM head Deck is ugly that's true. But worst of all is it is wired into the steering controls so I lost these both sides of the steering wheel. Fortunately I had the display on l/per100km Tank Average which I like to see but I can't select anything else.

The other thing with the OEM head deck is it has no amp out so you can't even add to it which was what I initially wanted to do though I am now very happy with the sexy JVC

Sorry for the delay in replying...

@ TRD110 Thanks :-) The Factory Blank was NZ$180 (about AU$150) and was supplied by the JVC agents here, but I believe it is a Toyota part though I don't know what the part no. is.

@ eSEXSIX No, I had a professional Car Audio company do the work. They had the car for an hour to make all the required measurements etc. The Front Aurion speakers were destroyed in the removal process and the rears required re-drilling to suit the Fusion holes. The rears although the coils are huge slot in nicely between the boot lid tensioners and the fronts fitted without to much issue into the door and obviously miss the window.

@ VF-X All up cost with the Head Deck, 4x 3way Fusion 6x9's, Fitting my Sony 600W amp under the passenger seat, pre-wiring for a SUB and the dash blank with fitting labour was NZ$1600 (Approx AU$1300) I could have shopped around but I have done a lot with this particular company and I like the way they treat me and the quality of their work and back up is second to none.

Your right about the poor sound proofing of the Aurion, though I can't hear any of that now :blink:

Our roads are quite heavy chip and with the wider wheels makes for a noisy ride. Anyway fixed by installing better sounds!

@ pinzvidz The OEM head Deck is ugly that's true. But worst of all is it is wired into the steering controls so I lost these both sides of the steering wheel. Fortunately I had the display on l/per100km Tank Average which I like to see but I can't select anything else.

The other thing with the OEM head deck is it has no amp out so you can't even add to it which was what I initially wanted to do though I am now very happy with the sexy JVC

You know.. regarding on the sterring wheel buttons, there's an way you can still use the display button with aftermarket HU.

You can just take the board (reasonably small as big as a CD maybe?) off from the factory unit which is connected with steering wheel control wires and hide it somewhere that you can't see, for example, under the steering wheel.

That would enable the display button back. I was doing this when I had cheap ebay DVD HU with screen and the display button worked fine.

In my case, I had to connect the other wire to make it worked but most of ppl in this forum who got the aftermarket HU, just connecting the steering wheel wires to the board makes the display button back to work.

You know.. regarding on the sterring wheel buttons, there's an way you can still use the display button with aftermarket HU.

You can just take the board (reasonably small as big as a CD maybe?) off from the factory unit which is connected with steering wheel control wires and hide it somewhere that you can't see, for example, under the steering wheel.

That would enable the display button back. I was doing this when I had cheap ebay DVD HU with screen and the display button worked fine.

In my case, I had to connect the other wire to make it worked but most of ppl in this forum who got the aftermarket HU, just connecting the steering wheel wires to the board makes the display button back to work.

Thanks JIN I had wondered about where the controls interfaced with the factory head deck. I will definitely look into this.

----------------

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Why destroy the front factory speakers to fit the new ones? That sounds a little extreme.

I was able to remove mine without damaging them. Did they use the factory speaker frame to mount the new ones onto the car. They should have amde a custom MDF mount.

Hey,

Why destroy the front factory speakers to fit the new ones? That sounds a little extreme.

I was able to remove mine without damaging them. Did they use the factory speaker frame to mount the new ones onto the car. They should have amde a custom MDF mount.

I wasn't interested in mucking around wasting time saving the speakers, after all what would I do with them anyway, put them in another car that needs c*#p speakers?

Custom mounts were made for the fronts.

Just to update, I thought I had updated here but it was in another thread Duh!

Here is a link to another thread which shows the head deck that I finally ended up with after I didn't like the look of the single din JVC.

Any particular reason you went with 6x9's instead of making spacers and fitting 6"s? They are going to sound rubbish once you add a sub...

But they don't. I have added a Fusion SUB yesterday and the system is really well balanced from Bass through to Treble. I know what your saying re benefits of 6" over 6x9 but in this case it hasn't compromised sound quality at all and several people have commented on clarity of mid and treble from this system and the SUB has just enhanced that.

I didn't want BIG boom sounds I just wanted a good response through the range which I have got. BTW the SUB's only a baby - Fusion 10" PP-SW10H with a Fusion PP-AM9002 900W Amp set in a Fusion 10" Sealed Sub Box.

Any particular reason you went with 6x9's instead of making spacers and fitting 6"s? They are going to sound rubbish once you add a sub...

But they don't. I have added a Fusion SUB yesterday and the system is really well balanced from Bass through to Treble. I know what your saying re benefits of 6" over 6x9 but in this case it hasn't compromised sound quality at all and several people have commented on clarity of mid and treble from this system and the SUB has just enhanced that.

I didn't want BIG boom sounds I just wanted a good response through the range which I have got. BTW the SUB's only a baby - Fusion 10" PP-SW10H with a Fusion PP-AM9002 900W Amp set in a Fusion 10" Sealed Sub Box.

If you want clarity of sound, a sealed Sub is the only way to go. Vented is better for deeper and more powerful response, but takes very complex design to get it right. Good choice going with the sealed design!