looking at a stivo this week. any ideas?

Hey guys, just wondering what are a few good things to look for when i check out a private sale in the next few days.

is it worth getting it checked by nrma or someone at the guy house?

ive only bought cars from dealers so it was a bit easyer, even though i dont trust salesmen atleast the cars get checked at dealers.

thanks heaps guys!

i cant wait till i get my stivo ahaha

I'm not sure inspections reveal all that much. The seem to only really comment on the body panels, CV's and brakes in my experience. You can't trust many caryard's inspections anyhow...

Clutches are very expensive to repalce in a Sportivo. The labour charges are insane, I think they need to unbolt the engine mounts and tilt the engine slightly to get the gearbox out, but I am not sure.

In any case, Toyota charge $2200 for the supply/fit themselves, but I got mine all done at mates rates for just under $1000. I wouldn't classify the Exedy HD clutch to be all that heavy duty either...

Other than that, make sure you get one with the cup holder dividers! :P

Cheers, Gav.

I'm not sure inspections reveal all that much. The seem to only really comment on the body panels, CV's and brakes in my experience. You can't trust many caryard's inspections anyhow...

Clutches are very expensive to repalce in a Sportivo. The labour charges are insane, I think they need to unbolt the engine mounts and tilt the engine slightly to get the gearbox out, but I am not sure.

In any case, Toyota charge $2200 for the supply/fit themselves, but I got mine all done at mates rates for just under $1000. I wouldn't classify the Exedy HD clutch to be all that heavy duty either...

Cheers, Gav.

lol cupholders make sure their there or it could cost u a case of beer..........

Cheers, Gav.

lol cupholders make sure their there or it could cost u a case of beer..........

or get one of those air-vent clip-on cupholders, it will keep your beer nice and cool with the air con on!! lol

ahah all valid points.

has anyone checked out the one in brookvale in sydney? i really want a white/silver/red one. but i might have to settle for this dark blue one if one doesnt pop up in a month or so.

id rather buy a dealer car with a warranty

What to look for in a sportivo....

First thing to look at would have to be the gearbox. Take it for a test drive, try and change gears while in lift, if it goes in smooth, your all good, if it crunches, then it either needs a clutch replacement or the synchro's on the gear are farked.

Check the engine bay, make sure its neat as the sportivo's tend to keep a tidy engine bay. Also check the CV's on both sides and make sure the CV boot isnt split or ripped, make sure theres no grease around that area either.

The middle dash has a lil pocket where you pull back to put things into, make sure that isnt broken or loose or youll end up replacing it later down the track.

If the driver is young, the thing has been thrashed because this whole VVTLi thing is a big influence to speed and go into lift every gear. If it has any mods, it has also been thrashed. Especially if it has a cold air intake. Also check the interior to make sure everything is cool and tidy.

Thats pretty much it from what i know. Goodluck in making your purchase.

What to look for in a sportivo....

First thing to look at would have to be the gearbox. Take it for a test drive, try and change gears while in lift, if it goes in smooth, your all good, if it crunches, then it either needs a clutch replacement or the synchro's on the gear are farked.

Check the engine bay, make sure its neat as the sportivo's tend to keep a tidy engine bay. Also check the CV's on both sides and make sure the CV boot isnt split or ripped, make sure theres no grease around that area either.

The middle dash has a lil pocket where you pull back to put things into, make sure that isnt broken or loose or youll end up replacing it later down the track.

If the driver is young, the thing has been thrashed because this whole VVTLi thing is a big influence to speed and go into lift every gear. If it has any mods, it has also been thrashed. Especially if it has a cold air intake. Also check the interior to make sure everything is cool and tidy.

Thats pretty much it from what i know. Goodluck in making your purchase.

Mate you have got heaps of generalisations and assumptions in here.......not all ppl thrash there cars and not all ppl with mods on their cars thrash them either....it becomes a tricky situation buying private sale....best you can do is check things out (mech/visually to best of your ability) and trust your instinct about whether you feel the person would have thrashed it........if we go by your statement we shoudl never buy a car off any of us ;) etc.....

In relation to the gearbox.....changing gears smoothly in lift is a fair hard thing to test in a small test drive.....not paying out Brad-dreama at all but getting a gear change in lift smoothly and neatly can be tricky for those who have owned a sportivo and driven it daily for ages let alone someone who has hardly driven one (driven many brad ? im not sure mate). Everyone knows the sportivo gearbox can be a annoying and frustrating at times and tricky to get used to after driving other cars....even if you can land lift and it isnt all that smooth it may not be that the gear syncros are gone or the clutch needs replacing it could just be that the clutch needs an adjustment............

one final note to save yourself a warning from mods gotta start reframing from using "swear words" or similar = "farked"....its annoying i know as sometimes no other words can get across the point your trying to protray lol........

Good pickup on the little dash pocket....a friends sportivo is missing the flap/lid so he now has two open dash pockets which prove useless if you dont want things flying around when driving.

thanks for your input guys.

i think i wont be checking out this sportivo on the weekend. the guys wants to sell it this week, personally 14k is very cheap and i feel a bit rushed and uncomfortable.

ill be checking out one at a dealer this weekend though, its an 05 model been there for a few months. Buying from a dealer is also handy for me as i can trade in the car i have now and i can also get a 3 year warranty.

I think take your time buying a car, there's always stivos flying about.

In regards to the clutch, can't you just willingly let the clutch drop and if it does not stall immediately, then the clutch is gone? That's what I've been told/read somewhere

yeah im fair sure you can do what evoke mentioned as far as testing the clutch etc......ive read it on here before or a procedure similar to that.........yeah brad dont rush........heaps of sportivos floating around...when i bought mine in late 06 id been watching on carsales for ages and on here and there werent many about.....now seems ppl may be upgrading to newer cars and more around which is good for you

Best way i find to test a clutch is to be driving the car say at 20 KMH.. then rev the engine high... not too high.. say 5000rpm, and change into 4th... and if the car gets the shudders.... like in to low of a gear STRAIGHT away.. your clutch is fine... if your putting power through the clutch and its slipping in a higher gear... its goneskis

One thing also good to check are the Disc rotors... check for any gouging and the condition of the pads. The rotors on the AU delivered sportivo's are rubbish.

check for a "hissing" sound when decellerating in a low gear.. ie: be in 2nd.. accel up to 60kmh, then lift off the accel pedal.. and listen to the gear box. Stivo's generally have a very noisy gear box, but listen for the hissing sound, could indicate your in need for a change of the gear oil for something lighter/ more viscous.

As for shifting gears while in Lift, dont try this on your test drive... you'll mess it up and look like ultra noob, but.. i do suggest you do hit lift at some stage during your test drive... be wary though.. that you'll most likely want to do this in 2nd.. so make sure you're in a 100kmh zone

Clean engine bays are nice..... if the owner has looked after the engine bay, you're more than likely to expect they have looked after the engine. And i dont mean they havent thrashed it... i'd safely say every stivo has been driven hard, .... i mean they would have done regular engine oil changes, never let it run out of coolant, and been wary of the mechanical things in the car.

check for faulty fog lamp switches.... the rotating dial on the head lamp/indicator stalk

check the condition of the spare wheel....

obviously check all the seams in the engine bay are nice and straight and look in the door sills for any evidence of overspray or damage repair.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

well thanks heaps guys. it turns out i will fly down to melb! ahhaa

im checking out this white 03 model with 49k kms on it.

getting it checked over at a mechanics place down there for 150.

the seller offered to pay for it because he believes the car is in great condition.

also it just got a RWC to make me more comfortable!

now all i need to do is find a company that can bring it up to sydney! leaving on sat!

onlyl day off is sat so i hope things go smoothly!

thanks for all the help.

if you want to keep adding please do so, i love reading all your comments.

Regards brad

well that one down there. 14k......

otherwise theres a dark blue 05 model around the corner with 80k kms going for 19. but i will get lower and trade in my old car....

not sure which to go.

also a red 05 model with 55k kms on it wants to sell so i might check that one out too....not sure on the price though.

KaZe- Posted Yesterday, 08:00 PM

you can buy my full sick one for 25k =]

2005 metallic black stivo with mods =]

hehe will i really wanted Daz's white one. and i really like your black one too....

but i think 14k for a 03 model with 50k kms is pretty good, and i get to have the fun of modding it my self, you guys have taken the fun away from me hehe.

vin checker

good website if your worried about buying a car that maybe stolen etc

even if you use this vin check thing, they could still get away with if the car was damaged and then repaired at a dodgey mechanic that didnt record it right??

the guy did say it has a RWC and he is offereing to pay 150$ for it to get checked out at a well known mechanic in melbourne.

checking vins means nothing dude, so many ways thiefs/car rebirthers can get around this. just remember that if the police find your car to be numbered it will be confescated and u will not be refunded any money. i dont mean to scare u lol

having log books etc is a good way to tell its not stolen?

omg this sucks.. maybe i should just get the 05 model from the dealer next to my house........

but i dont want to spend so much ahaha

but then again its better off to be safe than sorry

having log books etc is a good way to tell its not stolen?

omg this sucks.. maybe i should just get the 05 model from the dealer next to my house........

but i dont want to spend so much ahaha

but then again its better off to be safe than sorry

Stop Stressing Out Mate! :-l No Real Point You Know.....Make Sure You Check The Car Based On The Recommendations Above And You ll Be Fine! :)

ahaha yea, i should just take my time.

im so eager to get one though....

anyway ill check some out this week and if there no good ill just keep waiting!

Yeah, patience is good when looking for a 2nd hand car. The right one will come if you are willing to wait. My old man kept telling me to be patient, and in the end I saved a lot of money and got a car in perfect running condition (after the cleaning of course).