The Death of TRD

How much am I expectin thou... Still thinking and dunno if it's worth it...

I mean, i did some mods already which would need to be removed and re-applied to the TRDs.

+ with Insurance and trade ins..

I'm willing to re-do it again...It's still not much.. I'm curious for the trade in price... After all, mine is a zr6 full option with not even 10k after 1 yr.

Strange that they would totally axe the TRD brand... I would have backed off and done a little groundwork in the background on doing up some of the smaller more popular cars like Yaris and Corolla... then finally there would be a decent looking small car out there that doesn't just look generically rice!

I think the biggest failure for the TRD was really the fact that there is minimal difference between the stock and the TRD models, other than a few trim differences and maybe some performance parts. Coupled with this was the ridiculous asking price for such a basic difference. I wouldn't be paying the ridiculous price that was being asked for the 3500SL when it came out, when I could have got something even more attractive with a good reputation from the likes of Lexus. A bit more research into what the public is asking for and what they would be willing to pay for it should have been done.

It's a pity, because now it just leaves it back to the see-it-everyday-generic ford and holden varieties of performance models... never gonna see any more unique TRD branded Aurions around any more, other than what is already on the roads =\

You never know though... in a few years time maybe they will have another shot at it. I can't see Toyota writing off so much expenditure and never getting any return!

I wonder what this means for the sponsorship of the TRD Rally Team.

I'm not surprised, I know I am about to get flamed, but neither of the TRD models were that good compared to the standard models. They should have got NBA to design and make the cars instead of Prodrive.

I'm not surprised, I know I am about to get flamed, but neither of the TRD models were that good compared to the standard models. They should have got NBA to design and make the cars instead of Prodrive.

i don't think it would make that much different to the motorsports division of toyota, considering they were fully sponsored by trd prior to having a commerical trd brand. so i guess that if they go back to the old structure, then, theoretically, it shouldn't muake much difference.

there goes the trd corolla/yaris.... they could've done a sporty little hot hatch to boost their sales..

But would it really? We all whooped and cheered when they brought out the charged Aurion, but how many people from this forum went out and bought one? 4?

Out of all the Sportivo owners on here, how many people bought their car brand new? And then how many people waited a few years for depreciation to take a bite before making a purchase and saving themselves $10k?

It's the same story across the board. I'd love to see them turbocharge the Yaris or chuck the V6 + AWD system in the Corolla but I can put my hand on my heart and say that I wouldn't buy one. And if nobody will front up the cash, then the cars won't be built.

there goes the trd corolla/yaris.... they could've done a sporty little hot hatch to boost their sales..

But would it really? We all whooped and cheered when they brought out the charged Aurion, but how many people from this forum went out and bought one? 4?

Out of all the Sportivo owners on here, how many people bought their car brand new? And then how many people waited a few years for depreciation to take a bite before making a purchase and saving themselves $10k?

It's the same story across the board. I'd love to see them turbocharge the Yaris or chuck the V6 + AWD system in the Corolla but I can put my hand on my heart and say that I wouldn't buy one. And if nobody will front up the cash, then the cars won't be built.

Ah Touche

i don't think it would make that much different to the motorsports division of toyota, considering they were fully sponsored by trd prior to having a commerical trd brand. so i guess that if they go back to the old structure, then, theoretically, it shouldn't muake much difference.

I think you are mistaken. TRD Rally Team was TTR before the TRD brand was released.

I agree with you 99% on that... BUUUTTT...

... considering that small cars have been the biggest selling segment in a generally ailing market, wouldn't it have made more sense to come out with a small car rather than 2 huge fuel suckers? 40k is sorta expensive, but much more accessible to the masses than 60k.

Or look at it this way. The Gti is once again the flagship model for VW; Honda thought it viable enough to resurrect the Type R brand last year with a new civic; Mazda turbocharged a 3; Mitsubishi almost died with the 380, but are climbing back with range of Lancer's that all share the evo's styling... and even Ford (who are on the verge of bankruptcy) have now resurrected the RS with 300 horses under the bonnet. The trend there is putting big punch into tiny car - with the largest engine there being 2.4 litres.

Perhaps had TRD gone down that route, rather than trying to out gun the 'all Australian boys club', they may have withstood the suddenly frugal public for a little longer.

... considering that small cars have been the biggest selling segment in a generally ailing market, wouldn't it have made more sense to come out with a small car rather than 2 huge fuel suckers? 40k is sorta expensive, but much more accessible to the masses than 60k.

Or look at it this way. The Gti is once again the flagship model for VW; Honda thought it viable enough to resurrect the Type R brand last year with a new civic; Mazda turbocharged a 3; Mitsubishi almost died with the 380, but are climbing back with range of Lancer's that all share the evo's styling... and even Ford (who are on the verge of bankruptcy) have now resurrected the RS with 300 horses under the bonnet. The trend there is putting big punch into tiny car - with the largest engine there being 2.4 litres.

Perhaps had TRD gone down that route, rather than trying to out gun the 'all Australian boys club', they may have withstood the suddenly frugal public for a little longer.

You, good sir, are right on the ball. Toyota should employ you! It's all about having a clear market audience. The TRD Aurion tries to be too many things at once, and therefore is not a class leader in any particular aspect. The hefty price tag does not help.

The TRD Corolla should have been the first off the line. That would have given TRD the market following they needed to push more ambitious projects out the door.

Yeah I'd agree with that. The only problem is the players in that field are all massively capable. The conservatives in Toyota would insist that the Corolla remained FWD.... so the TRD Corolla would have to be either as fast as the 3 MPS or as well-rounded as the Golf GTI to get a foothold in the market. Either that or considerably cheaper than the competition and just "good enough".

Yeah I'd agree with that. The only problem is the players in that field are all massively capable. The conservatives in Toyota would insist that the Corolla remained FWD.... so the TRD Corolla would have to be either as fast as the 3 MPS or as well-rounded as the Golf GTI to get a foothold in the market. Either that or considerably cheaper than the competition and just "good enough".

Toyota needs to change its mindset about FWD. FWD works very well for them when they are trying to reach the mass market. It does not work as well in the performance market, and because of this the TRD Aurion is generally not accepted in performance circles. I feel bad for TRD when there is a performance car shootout in Wheels magazine and the TRD Aurion is not even mentioned.

Lexus, on the other hand, seem to have gotten it right - all their cars are RWD. That's why my next car is going to be the GS450h.

FWD wouldn't be a problem. I make reference again to the current Civic type R (those that know me will tell you I rave about this car like a closet Honda fanboy :lol: ).

Although it is heavier than the last model, and has a bone shaking ride quality - it has retained that 'hardcore' edge associated with the brand. Sure it certainly moves, but it is more about appearing faster than it actually is. This car creates that illusion for the driver - and consequently outsold the Gti and the Focus ST in its first year in Europe.

And like all the other 'premium' or 'harder' small cars in its class, it provides some decent kit whilst sticking to that magic 40k price tag.

I cannot understand why Toyota has had such trouble creating that image. I think even a TRD Yaris (as pictured), to compete in the super-mini niche, would have been a much better option than the highway cruiser or the farm boy. Suzuki proves this point with their $26k Swift Sport (FYI - Suzuki are the only Japanese manufacturer to experience consecutive growth in profit each year for the last 6 years)!

vitz07.jpgsuzuki-swift-sport.jpg

Edited by Leroy

I cannot understand why Toyota has had such trouble creating that image.

its pretty simple actually ...... toyota are simply WAY 2 conservative ..... i have had many discussions with those in the know regarding the decisions of toyota australia and all end up with the fact that the conservative actions of the company and its management as it stands will always keep it from creating anything thats out their .....

from the investors point of view though this is not a bad thing since the company is delivering results from is conservative range so from a business perspective why change a model that isnt broken ?

now if we saw a dramatic shift from the consumer to the point where all ppl were buying were the sports trends of a car then u watch as toyota's attitude would be forced to change ..... but right now the demand just isnt their and the return on investment just isnt justifiable.

I cannot understand why Toyota has had such trouble creating that image.

its pretty simple actually ...... toyota are simply WAY 2 conservative ..... i have had many discussions with those in the know regarding the decisions of toyota australia and all end up with the fact that the conservative actions of the company and its management as it stands will always keep it from creating anything thats out their .....

from the investors point of view though this is not a bad thing since the company is delivering results from is conservative range so from a business perspective why change a model that isnt broken ?

now if we saw a dramatic shift from the consumer to the point where all ppl were buying were the sports trends of a car then u watch as toyota's attitude would be forced to change ..... but right now the demand just isnt their and the return on investment just isnt justifiable.

Completely agree with you regarding ROI. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Toyota all of a sudden change their business strategy.

I am, however, saying that in the case of TRD Australia, conservatism is probably what led them to flop. So why bother introducing that arm of operations to the Australian market in the first instance, when they were never going to compete in the right fashion let alone with the right product?

FWD wouldn't be a problem. I make reference again to the current Civic type R (those that know me will tell you I rave about this car like a closet Honda fanboy :lol: ).

Although it is heavier than the last model, and has a bone shaking ride quality - it has retained that 'hardcore' edge associated with the brand. Sure it certainly moves, but it is more about appearing faster than it actually is. This car creates that illusion for the driver - and consequently outsold the Gti and the Focus ST in its first year in Europe.

And like all the other 'premium' or 'harder' small cars in its class, it provides some decent kit whilst sticking to that magic 40k price tag.

I'm sorry to hear about the affinity to the H badge, I hear doctors can help you with those sort of problems these days :spiteful: haha j/k I agree with the FWD thing, I pushed Corollas for years!

As for the image thing, I get the feeling that the "Sportivo" models were a image-building foot in the water for introducing TRD to the market. They were just undercooked in typically conservative Toyota style. The Sportivo versions of the Echo and Camry were lame compared to the Corolla (and they only got that right with the ZZE-123, after first bolting a turbo onto the geriatric 7A-FE.... what were they thinking?).

TRD definitely should've beefed up a Corolla first to get the numbers they needed to stay afloat, then moved onto the Aurion. A quick Corolla would've come in at the right time to steal some early market share in the hot hatch category. Even if they didn't see soaring petrol prices and a potential worldwide recession coming around the corner, they should've seen that their #1 selling car was in an expandable category.

(and they only got that right with the ZZE-123, after first bolting a turbo onto the geriatric 7A-FE.... what were they thinking?).

That's what is known in the industry as "a foot in the door". You have to start somewhere, with something. What Toyota Aus didn't do then was put their shoulder to the door to stop it jamming their foot. Instead, they woosed out like little girls and pulled the foot out, only to try again properly a few years later with a nice big shoulder-charge called the ZZE123.

(and they only got that right with the ZZE-123, after first bolting a turbo onto the geriatric 7A-FE.... what were they thinking?).

That's what is known in the industry as "a foot in the door". You have to start somewhere, with something. What Toyota Aus didn't do then was put their shoulder to the door to stop it jamming their foot. Instead, they woosed out like little girls and pulled the foot out, only to try again properly a few years later with a nice big shoulder-charge called the ZZE123.

Interestingly enough a few reviews of the Turbo Sportivo (with assembly in I think three different locations for the one vehicle (turbo was not fitted at the factory where the car was made)) said it was actually a logistics exercise rather than an attempt at a sporty product. Obviously with the axing of the Celica and the MR2 (not to mention no Supra for a number of years) the natural conclusion is that Toyota is not interested in a sporty/performance image.

And another thing that puzzles me (and a few others) why is the rally team branded TRD and using Corollas if there was no intention to release a TRD Corolla (yes the use of a Corolla makes sense given its shape and size but why not just leave the branding as it was instead of changing to TRD) and very few dealers a really interested in selling the TRD parts (Castle Hill excepted)

Edited by jps137

• 4 weeks later...

even if they did release a trd hot hatch, the price attached to it would probably be hot as well. just like how rare the trd aurion is, there isnt much difference from the base model other from some engine, aesthetics and handling tweaks...

even if they did release a trd hot hatch, the price attached to it would probably be hot as well. just like how rare the trd aurion is, there isnt much difference from the base model other from some engine, aesthetics and handling tweaks...

I see where you're coming from, but I also understand Toyota's need to charge the TRD at the price they did. If you read up on the development story of the TRD Aurion, they really spent a lot of time/money making the car what it is. It's not just about dumping in a supercharger and hoping for the best. They had to fine-tune the chassis, put in the supercharger while not touching fuel rails, track test, change brakes, change camber/toe-in, maintain decent fuel economy, comfort, etc. It's not easy to make a FWD perform well with that much power, and they have done a marvellous job considering the constraits they had. When you drive the car, you really feel like it is a cohesive package, the handling, the brakes, the power. It feels like a different car rather than a souped-up version of the standard Aurion.

They were never planning to sell that many. With a small base of customers, you have to split your R&D cost over a smaller group, and each customer has to pay more. If you have a mass market (e.g. the turbo Falcons), it's easier to spread the cost out. However, trying to sell it at $60k a pop was just not a good decision. They should have started at the same price as the Presara, which makes it appeal to anyone out to buy a Mazda 6 MPS or Liberty GT (both of which it outperforms). If you price it the same as a HSV/FPV, people will naturally compare to cars in that price range.

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

TRD sold the wrong cars to be honest imo.

TRD hilux - wtf, why not get an SS Ute etc

the same pretty much goes for the aurion, ss commodore, xr6 turbo sedan etc etc

if they had a hotted up version of the yaris or corolla then I reckon they would stand a chance, as hot hatches are currently in season ;)

TRD sold the wrong cars to be honest imo.

TRD hilux - wtf, why not get an SS Ute etc

the same pretty much goes for the aurion, ss commodore, xr6 turbo sedan etc etc

if they had a hotted up version of the yaris or corolla then I reckon they would stand a chance, as hot hatches are currently in season ;)

if they brought the 2zr-fe yaris 1.8 over to aus and supercharged it i rkn they woulda sold heaps who wouldnt want a supercharged 1.8 litre yaris?