Cup Holder

Wulfkind

Sorry guys, this one should not be bugging me but...

I bought my Aurion second hand and didn't realise until well and truly after the purchase (I was stoked at the car) that the divider in the cup holder was missing... It's really annoying since it means it no longer holds cups properly.

I called Toyota parts and asked for a quote and got a staggering figure of $147 to replace the entire cup holder.

Are these a fixed piece of plastic that could possibly be molded off or do they have a spring mechinism? Keen to get an idea to either fabricate my own or come up with another idea for replacing it, because $147 for a bit of plastic is mind blowing, especially one that small.

They have a spring mechanism in them and like a double tongue in it to adapt to all cup sizes.

$147 is highway robbery at the very least. Did you try asking where you got it from where it is ?

I think you should be able to make something out of foam or rubber though and just cut it to shape.

I was surprised even more after i bought my aurion and found it only had 2 cup holders in it full stop! Not used to that after working for landrover. they have like 14 of the bloody things in them.

I have an idea though... if i get time to make something and test it, i will get back to you :)

Oh, and dont let a cup holder ruin what is an awesome car!

I bought my Aurion second hand and didn't realise until well and truly after the purchase (I was stoked at the car) that the divider in the cup holder was missing... It's really annoying since it means it no longer holds cups properly.

I called Toyota parts and asked for a quote and got a staggering figure of $147 to replace the entire cup holder.

Are these a fixed piece of plastic that could possibly be molded off or do they have a spring mechinism? Keen to get an idea to either fabricate my own or come up with another idea for replacing it, because $147 for a bit of plastic is mind blowing, especially one that small.

U talkin about the cup-holder just behind the gearbox rite?

Yea, that costed me around that much as well when i made a hole out of it. :lol: .. Apparently, they said they need to swap the whole box including the gear-box part thing.. I'm not too clear myself but didnt think i can go anywhere else to fix it so i went with it. I know it's a rip off for that silly part. But couldn't stand it..

I was surprised even more after i bought my aurion and found it only had 2 cup holders in it full stop! Not used to that after working for landrover. they have like 14 of the bloody things in them.

Wow. This news will shock you. Did you know the Aurion has FOUR... yes, that's 4 cupholders. LOL. Did you not know about the one in the fold down arm rest in the centre of the back seats? Still though, not quite as many as the Land Rover. At least it should minimise drinks taken into the car and/or spillage.

As for the cupholder dividers, I'm guessing Toyota don't stock that part separately and only have it as part of the assembly. At most, all you would hope they need to change is the cupholder section itself. Unfortunately though, there are a few plastic welds here and there which means that whole centre part needs to be changed. I would seriously consider just making something in a DIY job.

Thanks guys - very much appreciated.

I have to admit through all my pondering and elaborate ideas I never once thought of using foam or rubber to simplify the task! Thats definitely a route I'll look into (as its easier than a spring). I'll have to make a trip to a place like Clarke Rubber for sure.

PS. Absolutely no way I'm letting this ruin my precious Aurion (The wife thinks I obsess over the car too much, fancy that!) it's just one of those minor imperfections that stand out like a sore thumb to me that nobody else really cares about!

I have to admit through all my pondering and elaborate ideas I never once thought of using foam or rubber to simplify the task! Thats definitely a route I'll look into (as its easier than a spring). I'll have to make a trip to a place like Clarke Rubber for sure.

PS. Absolutely no way I'm letting this ruin my precious Aurion (The wife thinks I obsess over the car too much, fancy that!) it's just one of those minor imperfections that stand out like a sore thumb to me that nobody else really cares about!

Why don't you try some wreckers?

If you are lucky enough, you can purchase it about $10~$20 from wreckers.

They should have some..

They should have some..

You're probably right, the trick is finding a wrecker that has an Aurion.

I rang around a few wreckers today and unfortunately none of them have a write off - Which makes sense, a car as new and valuable as the Aurion will more likely be repaired than written off.

I'm going to go down to the rubber store tomorrow and see what I can make up.

They should have some..

You're probably right, the trick is finding a wrecker that has an Aurion.

That is why we have YELLOW PAGES for. HAHAHA :lol:

There was a white sportivo being dismantled in a sydney wreckers. Spoke to the guy a few months back when i was originally chasing fog lights. Alot of the panels was gone but the interior was still there, he would have the cup holders for sure. I been trying to find him again, to nab the inside tacho, but ive lost the n.o. I found him in the trading post originally.

So there is a wreckers in sydney with a aurion, the problem is trying to find it. Bit hard if he isnt advertising anymore, like a needle in a hay sack. Maybey try that australian wreckers on line, where they search though aussie wreckers for the part your looking for.

If you find him let us know.

Good luck.

There was a white sportivo being dismantled in a sydney wreckers. Spoke to the guy a few months back when i was originally chasing fog lights. Alot of the panels was gone but the interior was still there, he would have the cup holders for sure. I been trying to find him again, to nab the inside tacho, but ive lost the n.o. I found him in the trading post originally.

So there is a wreckers in sydney with a aurion, the problem is trying to find it. Bit hard if he isnt advertising anymore, like a needle in a hay sack. Maybey try that australian wreckers on line, where they search though aussie wreckers for the part your looking for.

Good luck.

Thanks bud, will definitely look a bit harder now that I know there are /some/ out there.

Good luck.

Just remembered partslocator.com.au as a site I've used successfully in the past to find hard-to-get parts for my 4by and found this guy claims to have atleast one Aurion:

Company: GMS Spares Pty Ltd

Address: 26 Mavis St

City: Revesby

State: New South Wales

Postcode: 2212

Phone: 02 9774 5184

Fax: 02 9774 5716

I'll try call tomorrow, if not tuesday.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I know this is a bit late in the the scheme of things but I have just have also just bought an Aurion SX6 same as the original post no divider in the cup holder called the dealer he said to get a price and he would pay for it well here in WA the price was $179.00 for the whole cup assembly unit from Toyota. According to Toyota they dont make the dividers anymore. I also called around the car dismantlers no one is wreaking any Aurions in WA are we all good drivers and dont crash.

Lucky for me the dealer had two ATX Aurions on hand and he supplied me with one.

I think that part of the cup holder could be shared with the newer model camry too. Also BS on Toyota not making the dividers any more, they are building more Aurions and Camrys right? Then of course they would be making them, that sales guy was just pulling a fast one.

~Edit: Ok I just had a look at a few interior photos of the camry, i forgot they had the handbrake in that location.

Edited by marc2020

Don't know about Aurion drivers being better! I've almost been run off the road by a couple.

Explaination for there being none at the wreckers is that being such a high valued vehicle (still $20k+ for the ATX) the insurance companies will fix them rather than write them off.

As opposed to a $2000 commodore, which will be cheaper to write off than fix.

I bought mine 2nd hand as well, when i take it home, it is the same problem, the cup holder piece is broken. I took it to Southside Toyota Service Centre near Garden City in Brisbane to get it fixed (i did not buy the car from dealer), and they fix it without charging me anything. I assume yours is still under warranty?? But a price of $147 is really ridiculous.

One note that I haven't mentioned to wulfkind, but I am sure he won't agree..

We now have cup holders that will take not only one carton or moove but 2.

Alas that is about all that is held in there comfortably.

You're right, I don't agree. :D