servicing

Havent had time to post this but may interest some of you people out there.

When i had the stivo serviced by toyota, they put the wrong oil filter on it. they put part number 90915-yzze1 when it should be 90915-yzze2.

the service dept claim there is no difference but yzze2 is acutally 10-15mm longer.

yzze1 is the stock corolla part while yzze2 is celica and corolla sportivo specific, and costs $3 more per filter.

i demamded the correct filter as using the wrong part number may contribute to toyota servicing dept actually voiding my toyota backed waranty.

The service manager said it makes no difference, in my defence i said toyota south africa and toyota japan and australia would not have listed it different if it were not for a reason. He claims they fitted yzze1 to all sportivos and toyota told them to do this, hismate siad maybe it was a superseeded part number(the book says it is not as they are the same series oil filter from same manufacturer n the toyota parts bible).

I said than why does the toyota parts and servicing manual (which i inadvertanly read at the spare parts department, had to do something as they were so slow :rolleyes: ) specify yzze2 and did he have the directive in writing for me from toyota australia. :angry:

maybe this is why some people have had oil pressure or delivery problems (10-15mm is not much but may affect it somehow).

Any one care to check their oil filters for a comparison ;)

I've just changed who i service with (northpoint toyota SA to CMI Toyota City SA) Northpoint have always put on 90915-yzze1 but CMI explained that this was for standard corolla engines not the sportivo that share the same engine with the celica. The sportivo engine requires 90915-yzze2. When i started my car before my 20,000 service at CMI the oil light use to stay on for about 30sec to 1 min, now it flicks on and off in under 5 secs. Don't know it it related but you never know??

I've just changed who i service with (northpoint toyota SA to CMI Toyota City SA)  Northpoint have always put on 90915-yzze1 but CMI explained that this was for standard corolla engines not the sportivo that share the same engine with the celica.  The sportivo engine requires 90915-yzze2.  When i started my car before my 20,000 service at CMI the oil light use to stay on for about 30sec to 1 min, now it flicks on and off in under 5 secs.  Don't know it it related but you never know??

Welcome Hodgie...

Good to see another Red Stivo gracing the forum...

...With regard to correct oil filter:

In Britain this problem/question 'appeared' in the early 90's with the then current AE92 model range. One filter (short one) part number applied to 1300 '2E' Engine and 1600 '4A-FE' Engine. Other filter part number (Longer filter) applied to 16 4A-GE Engine in the GTi /FX16/ FX GT/ Levin.

I myself pointed this out when the 'shorter' filter was fitted on my 1989 AE 92 GTi in 1995. I was informed "that it made no difference" Hmmm <_< I thought. However the following year the car was out of warranty so I do servicing myself or use a local freindly garage. When I went to my Toyota parts dept.(still use genuine parts) and asked for an oil filter I was handed ...the 'short' one. Apparantly either filter will do! This was back in 1996 its now 2005 and I've still used the 'shorter' filter and car still goes fine, if there was a problem I think after 10 years it would have done damage by now :D . So it looks like Toyota chappies were right.

Hodgie - long time no see!! You up for a cruise anytime soon?

Anyway, up 'til now I have used Northpoint for servicing, but have no idea what oil filter is on the car. After my trip to Melbourne this week, I'll be fitting the TRD item and will check then. But for reference sake, my oil light has never stayed on for more than a few seconds after startup.

Thinking about possible differences between filters, the longer one may just have more filter surface area and therefore be more efficient at removing crap from the oil. This is probably just a safeguard by Toyota due to the higher revving, higher oil temps and stress experienced by the 2ZZ over the 1ZZ engines. But in all likelihood, as Toytoa and others have testified, the 1ZZ filter may do (almost) as good a job? I would expect the only noticeable difference might be shorter oil life.

Just looked up the part numbers on my computer. It lists 90915-YZZE2 for the Sportivo and 90915-YZZE1 for the standard Corolla.

Preety sure the reason is something to do with the oil pressure, overheard one of the techs saying something about it the other day.

It shouldn't have any effect on oil pressure, the only difference is the engine oil will stay cleaner for longer with the larger capacity filter - because there's a larger filtration area.

The 2ZZ-GE is under more stress than 1ZZ-FE because of the higher engine speeds, so if you drive hard, it's recommended to use the larger capacity filter so that you have cleaner oil flowing through the engine, which will give you less engine wear.

It shouldn't have any effect on oil pressure, the only difference is the engine oil will stay cleaner for longer with the larger capacity filter - because there's a larger filtration area.

The 2ZZ-GE is under more stress than 1ZZ-FE because of the higher engine speeds, so if you drive hard, it's recommended to use the larger capacity filter so that you have cleaner oil flowing through the engine, which will give you less engine wear.

I think that's what I said. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So I checked and yes - my dealer did in fact install the 90915-yzze1 oil filter. Here is the saga of what followed:

I wrote to Jenny Stewart firstly, as I didn't want my dealer to be able to say that "Toyota told them to do it". Unfortunately, Jenny decided not to reply to my email in ANY way, and dodged the bullet by instead forwarding my email to my dealer's service manager. So much for customer service...

Slightly embarassing to me, but if possible this action has lowered my estimation of Jenny Stewart and by association, Toyota.

Anyway, I then received a phone call from the service manager saying I should have always approached her in the first instance. I explained that I was trying to clarify Toyota Australia's position but nevertheless conceded that in future I will talk to them first (I have no option if Toyota's customer service policy is to not actually provide any). The service manager then tried to convince me that the 90915-yzze1 filter was shorter than the 90915-yzze2, and therefore the mechanics used it to have more access.

My reply was that the shorter filter may fit, but is not the specified part in the Toyota parts bible.

Her next comeback was that the shorter part was necessary, as it was fitted under the exhaust manifold and the longer part would become too hot. Excuse me (I said), but isn't the oil filter on the front of the engine, under the INLET manifold? I just left it unsaid that the exhaust is on the back of the engine and nowhere near the oil filter.

She could tell at this point that I was unlikely to give in, and so promised to check into the issue further and call me back.

I did receive a call back about 3 or 4 hours later, and she said these were the facts according to Toyota Australia:

(1) The 90915-yzze1 is fitted to Japanese delivered cars with the 2zz-ge engine, and

(2) The 90915-yzze2 is fitted to South African built cars with the 2zz-ge.

The short story was thus that I was technically correct, and the dealer would accept to change the oil filter to the correct part, and pay for lubricant and labour costs.

The moral of this story boys and girls is that if your dealer has done the same thing, you are within your rights to demand they change it at their expense - so go out now and lift your bonnet, then if necessary call your dealer. I think it's karma that by trying to save $3 their actions may cost them maybe $30 or $40 to fit the correct part. And remember, these costs will be borne by the dealer, not Toyota, as it's their error not warranty work.

I chose not to lose 1/2 a day with my car being serviced, and instead the dealer was happy to furnish me with the correct oil filter for me to do my own oil change (I already have 4L of Castrol Formula R at home :)).

So now that's two things I have to specify in future when my car gets dealer servicing:

(1) please use the correct oil filter, and

(2) if you charge me for window washer fluid, can you actually fill up the washer tank?

Edited by oz_viking

• 3 months later...

I was just on the K&N website registering my new air filter element (yes, I'm actually making a real, live mod on the wagon!), when I thought I'd check out their other stuff.

Came across the K&N oil filter which they recommend for the 1ZZ, but noticed something odd ... not only do they recommend the exact same filter for the 2ZZ, but it would seem it's also suitable for just about every Toyota 4 cylinder engine made since 1980, plus some Daihatsu's (no surprise), Suzuki's and Nissan's!

Here's the link to the actual product page ... from there you can see the relevant applications:

K&N Oil Filter for Corolla (and others)

Maybe Toyota using the "incorrect" filter is not such a big issue, in which case, Sportivo owners can request the "lesser" filter and save a couple of bucks! :D

Edited by Buddha

I work at Toyota and we usually fit the shorter ones to all Corollas...

But me being the fussy Corolla enthusiast I am, I will go to the spare parts counter and get the longer ones all the time hehehe...

I do take pride in my work, and always use the products listed for that model...

It makes no difference, just filters more oil at a time...

I work at Toyota and we usually fit the shorter ones to all Corollas...

But me being the fussy Corolla enthusiast I am, I will go to the spare parts counter and get the longer ones all the time hehehe...

I do take pride in my work, and always use the products listed for that model...

It makes no difference, just filters more oil at a time...

I love the way you work?

Can i get you to service my car? :D :D :D

Chatswood Toyota Service Department...

12 Marden Street, Artarmon... Bookings essential... 9206 6966...

Request to have the E2 Filter (the longer one) and that should be that man...

Edited by Rolla Boy