DAMMIT!

apg39

Yesterday was a loooong day so I did a comprehensive search to find other Asian Camry (aurion) items which we want/need.

Came accross this perfect piece, solved the problem of the squished header pipes at the flex joint. Its made for a Toyota Alphard which is a Japanese minibus kinda thing like a Tarago. Shared the same 2GR-FE engine & gearbox, not 100% sure but think it might have been based on the same chassis.

350x350-2009012000024.jpg350x350-2009012000025.jpg

After taking the pics home and trying to turn the laptop around numerous times while looking under the car...I dont think it will fit right. Never expected it to be a 100% perfect fit, maybe small modifications, but I cant seem to see it fitting at all??? Someone else have a look & tell me. ......oh and that piece costs $1600 AUD without postage from Japan.

Gave me an idea though as to fixing the squashed pipe problem. My latest idea is to re route the front header pipe a little higer than it sits now & slighty to the left (looking at car from the front). Then get the rear header following the same path now, but then dip underneath the front pipe & then connect to the flex joint on the RIGHT side instead of the left cos its too sharp an angle. I'd attach both pipes to a 2-1 collector cone.

My biggest problem is when the rear pipe dips under the front pipe, it may hang too low & snag on rocks or whatever...Im hoping by bending the front pipe higher it will give enough room, bending it to the left gives enough of an angle for the collector cone. Ill install a shorter flex joint if need be to give me more length to play with.

If the pipe does dip too low then I may look at running the rear header pipe towards the front of the car until there is enough clearence & then go under & back on the opposite side. BUT will cause problems bu having uneven pipes etc....

A very dodgey MS Paint representation. Hopefully the rear header pipe wont need to be that long.

edited.jpg

Ill have to check all clearances & lengths before I can decide.

gees man that would have been really good but 1600 is a **** load of money!!!

im really looking forward to getting this done on my car too and hopefully get some more power out of it......got ****** off the other day cos i got beaten by a VERY MINORLY modded 2L forester......basterd i was fuming

i got beaten by a VERY MINORLY modded 2L forester.....

Do you remember the number plate? I know heaps of Foz's up your way...some of them are more modded than you think. :ph34r:

i no the guy.....just a 1st model foz 2L with a CAI, rex turbo, exhaust and BOV THATS IT

and beat me.....so cut!!

if there was a 2GR turbo kit avaliable my order would be in :P lol

Edited by eSEXSIX

i no the guy.....just a 1st model foz 2L with a CAI, rex turbo, exhaust and BOV THATS IT

Haha...trust me I used to own a Forester, they aren't slow.

U got a pic of his car? I might know him. PM if you want

imo, $1600 is WAAAYYYY too much for that small pipe... an exhaust shop (that does a lot of custom work) would easily be able to put something together for you... :)

it might not look as "pretty" but it'll do the same job for a LOT less... :)

yeah it may be pricey but as always u get what u pay for!!!

1600 for something with plenty of R&D and engineered to suit. prolly cost another 1000 to land it in aus tho.

or get something fabed up by some local shop with some exhaust experience?

Edited by Freddo

In this situation, I don't think that statement applies. You would only gain so few kW or so that $1600 would not justify itself. That's insane how one can charge so much for that.

1600 for something with plenty of R&D and engineered to suit. prolly cost another 1000 to land it in aus tho.

I could make something like that up in stainless in about an hour, max. Want to pay me $1600 for it? Go ahead, I've got plenty of other things I can sell to you too...

$400 CAI consisting of just two alloy bends, $800 "imported" cat-back system, etc.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but sheesh - a LOT of your Aurion and Corolla boys are really, really dumb with your money.

I could make something like that up in stainless in about an hour, max. Want to pay me $1600 for it? Go ahead, I've got plenty of other things I can sell to you too...

$400 CAI consisting of just two alloy bends, $800 "imported" cat-back system, etc.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but sheesh - a LOT of your Aurion and Corolla boys are really, really dumb with your money.

Ok agreed. 1600 is way too much for that particular part. But u cannot deny headers and full exhausts by the map tuning houses are worth the money - well maybe in my turbo world it does.

If you think it's so easy make one... Jig it up and pump em out. There is a market for it as well as other parts.

Instead of calling us dumb provide us with solutions to our problem of a lack of local aftermarket parts.

Since your such a bean counter are you the kind to cut the stock springs or heat them up to shrink them as this would have the same effect as geting lowered springs?

Ok agreed. 1600 is way too much for that particular part. But u cannot deny headers and full exhausts by the map tuning houses are worth the money - well maybe in my turbo world it does.

If you think it's so easy make one... Jig it up and pump em out. There is a market for it as well as other parts.

Instead of calling us dumb provide us with solutions to our problem of a lack of local aftermarket parts.

Since your such a bean counter are you the kind to cut the stock springs or heat them up to shrink them as this would have the same effect as geting lowered springs?

Being smart with money != being stingey. Almost ANY exhaust shop can make you a full exhaust system. Want stainless? Easy. Want no harsh bends? Also easy. Want good mufflers and metal cats? Piece of *****.

I've been in talks with my managers to get some things jigged up, but as of yet he hasn't seen the market for them. If you want to PM me with what you're looking for, I'll get you some quotes; if there's enough people out there that want them then it's a lot easier to convince him to spend time and money on something.

FYI, turbo tuning parts != NA tuning parts, as should be fairly obvious. In the case of 95% of cars on the road, exhaust "restrictions" are a good thing.

Random_hero - Are you able to do CAI's? with sensor plugs in it? Just a Short RAM style?

Sure am, have to chat to Craig from Extreme Custom first - he apparently just got a good amount of quality alloy bends in, a couple of which I want to get for myself. What sensors are you talking about though? If it's just a push/screw in, then sure. If it's something a bit more intricate, then maybe not.

I'll have a chat to you tomorrow :)

What sensors are you talking about though?

Hey Drew. All we need on an intake is the standard Denso MAF sensor (shown below) mount, a nipple for a small vacuum line, and a larger port to handle the crank-case ventilation plumb-back.

airflowmeteray4.jpg

What sensors are you talking about though?

Hey Drew. All we need on an intake is the standard Denso MAF sensor (shown below) mount, a nipple for a small vacuum line, and a larger port to handle the crank-case ventilation plumb-back.

airflowmeteray4.jpg

Yeah, should be able to handle that. At the moment I'm trying to track down some alloy weld-on vacuum fittings, we'll see how I go. Does the MAF sensor just bolt up to a plate? I'm not too familiar with them, all the cars I've really played with have been MAP sensored.

careful with your CAI that you do...

a mate attempted to make one for my trd and it didnt work out... threw an error code straight away.. :(

it could be the fact that the TRD has a more sensitive ecu, but i just wanted to warn you about it...

this is what the unfinished product looked like...

snc00021_132.jpg

snc00020_185.jpg

careful with your CAI that you do...

a mate attempted to make one for my trd and it didnt work out... threw an error code straight away.. :(

it could be the fact that the TRD has a more sensitive ecu, but i just wanted to warn you about it...

this is what the unfinished product looked like...

snc00021_132.jpg

snc00020_185.jpg

Good point, any idea what the error code was? I know Mazda 3's will do the same thing.

Being smart with money != being stingey. Almost ANY exhaust shop can make you a full exhaust system. Want stainless? Easy. Want no harsh bends? Also easy. Want good mufflers and metal cats? Piece of *****.

I've been in talks with my managers to get some things jigged up, but as of yet he hasn't seen the market for them. If you want to PM me with what you're looking for, I'll get you some quotes; if there's enough people out there that want them then it's a lot easier to convince him to spend time and money on something.

FYI, turbo tuning parts != NA tuning parts, as should be fairly obvious. In the case of 95% of cars on the road, exhaust "restrictions" are a good thing.

well where have u seen aurion owners wasting money? agreed that rolla boys do... but we are far off it. u cant put us in the same class! :P

yeh agreed that there is no market for parts as there are alot of tyre kickers (me included).

im not to sure about sixes but im sure they would respond to exhaust mods with some tuning?

but glad there is a positive coming out of this...

:)

Edited by Freddo

SecaBoy: Did you try extending the intake pipe? apparently if the intake pipe is to short, to much air is being sucked in a short amount of time and not allowing the sensor enough time to work properly causing a error code to come up. So by extending the intake pipe, it will allow air to travel slower allowing the sensor time to work etc. I'm not 100% sure on this tho.

This happened to a friends 180sx and he managed to fix it just be extending the pipe.

Edited by ZZR88

AMEN!!!!!

Just to clarify - I didnt buy it. The $1600 would have thrown me off even if it was the perfect fit. I would have taken a pic to the exhaust shop & said 'do that'. Im going to have to go to a shop to do what I want to do cos I dont have the equipment to do it at home.

I never said I was going to buy it, merely that I found it & it gave me another idea. So no, Im not dumb with my money.

SecaBoy: Did you try extending the intake pipe? apparently if the intake pipe is to short, to much air is being sucked in a short amount of time and not allowing the sensor enough time to work properly causing a error code to come up. So by extending the intake pipe, it will allow air to travel slower allowing the sensor time to work etc. I'm not 100% sure on this tho.

This happened to a friends 180sx and he managed to fix it just be extending the pipe.

yeah, i wanted to have another go at it and try to make it work... but the guy thats doing it for me has been pretty busy...

can't imagine shortening the pipe making the air travel "faster", that's goverened by the diameter of the pipe and the amount of air being drawn into the engine. It will affect resonance however....

What is more likely to be happening is the short pipe before the MAF makes the air turbulent and screws with the readings. Extending the pipe improves the flow characteristics. Or, you can do as Bill Sherwood has done and straighten the flow by cramming the intake pipe full of drinking straws, as per his BEAMS AE86

ae86strawinlet2.jpg

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

can't imagine shortening the pipe making the air travel "faster", that's goverened by the diameter of the pipe and the amount of air being drawn into the engine. It will affect resonance however....

What is more likely to be happening is the short pipe before the MAF makes the air turbulent and screws with the readings. Extending the pipe improves the flow characteristics. Or, you can do as Bill Sherwood has done and straighten the flow by cramming the intake pipe full of drinking straws, as per his BEAMS AE86

haha yea, that was wat i meant but didn't know how to really explain it.

thanks for that.