Spoke to CES regarding an exhaust for the aurion...

SecaBoy

okay, so i finally bit the bullet and made the LOONNNNNNGGGGGGG **** drive to see CES today...

firstly, let me just clarify that i am NOT whinging about their price in this thread... this is PURELY just to let other aurion owners know about our options... so do not take whatever i say here to be a negative comment regarding CES... I've seen their work, and the quality of work they do is probably the best in brisbane...

so i basically went to them and asked them for a quote on installing my varex where the stock resonator is and then making it straight through to the rear of the car... this came to a total of $480...

he then strongly advised me to NOT do this because it will cause the engine to ping...

I'm a little confused over this comment because so many people are using the varex with no issues at all... so dunno what he's talking about there and i didnt have a lot of time to go into detail with him...

he also mentioned that people have reported to him that they've lost 35kw by installing one of these and closing the valve... my response to him was that i really didnt care about power loss when its closed, because when its closed, i'm not gonna be using WOT... :huh:

anyway... moving on to the second option he gave me which is a cat back option..

he said that he cant guarantee that this will solve the droning problem, but from his previous experiance with other v6's and also working on the hilux's... he said that this "should" work... and if it doesnt, he'll fix it...

- remove the resonator and replace it with straight 2.75" pipe to the y piece.

- after the y piece it'll be 2.25" pipe to two stainless steel mufflers that they use on their v8 systems...

this will cost $1770 in mild steel (with stainless steel mufflers)...

he said that it "should" have a similar burble and bark that the v8s get, but it wont be exactly the same (obviously) due to the differnt engines...

so thats the story...

at this stage, i'm thinking about going ahead with the varex... if it doesnt work out, then i'll go for the full system... i'm just a bit nervous on spending 1770 on a system thats not proven (granted, nothing is proven with the aurion yet) and it still might drone after all that...

at least with the varex, i can shut it up and it'll be as quiet as normal..

anyway... thats my ramblings.. hope it is worthwhile information for people...

cya

ash.

Hope the Varex solution works out for you man. I'm tempted to save up the money for a full system, but I just don't think I could handle a car that ALWAYS sounds louder than stock. The Varex, despite it's negatives, is really the only way to have quiet and loud.

depending on the varex you have... cannon or twin tip, there will be some power loss...

i noticed some peak loss on my varex with it closed.. but did gain low down torque... which is perfect for me...

when its closed im pottering around town.. and get use of the torque, but with it open i usually in lift... lol.

for what its werth... i spoke with Joe at Xforce today... and just letting you know.. they are working on either a throttle position control, or RPM (think shift light) control box for the varex... IE: reach a certain RPM, varex valve opens.

cant wait for it !!!

depending on the varex you have... cannon or twin tip, there will be some power loss...

i noticed some peak loss on my varex with it closed.. but did gain low down torque... which is perfect for me...

when its closed im pottering around town.. and get use of the torque, but with it open i usually in lift... lol.

for what its werth... i spoke with Joe at Xforce today... and just letting you know.. they are working on either a throttle position control, or RPM (think shift light) control box for the varex... IE: reach a certain RPM, varex valve opens.

cant wait for it !!!

That's already been done by an Australian guy, the muffler is considerably more expensive than a Varex though.

If you guys are in Brisbane, I'd love to get an Aurion around so we can test some different systems on it - should be MUCH less than that CES quote too :)

If you guys are in Brisbane, I'd love to get an Aurion around so we can test some different systems on it - should be MUCH less than that CES quote too :)

I'm not sure about testing different systems as I definitely want twin oval Varex mufflers at the rear, but as bad as it sounds (wasting money inappropriately) if this $950 rebate thing goes through, I know where I'm going.

I just had a look, and X-Force now offer a universal style Varex with no fancy tip. I'm guessing this can be had a little cheaper. That's not my main concern though. The reason why I see this is as an advantage is that to have the oval Varex fit on the Aurion, the outlet needs to sit offset from the centre. I am thinking maybe if the Varex sits as far back as it can, a new outlet can be fabricated into shape so it fits where it needs to.

universalka8.jpg

It just means that I need to take the risk in buying it and hope that it can be made to fit.

I remember the good old days when people put on an exhaust to make the car faster.

These Varex mufflers have some slick marketing to fool some intelligent people.

A bit like all the ppl putting big rims on their car to look sporty and they go slower

What is the world coming too...

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

Ash,

I'd personally go with a pair of stainless magnaflow rear mufflers AND a large magnaflow center barrel to replace the resonator.

Downside is the mufflers themselves are around the $200-300ea mark, but pipework is cheap to do.

Drew

I'm still recovering from the $700 paint job to fix the scratch, but once I'm richer again I'll definetely be bringing my car down to your shop.

I want performance but I want it to be QUIET. Yes, an oxymoron I know but the droning really is driving my passengers insane. I don't want/need Varex because I'll never want it to be loud. I find it hilarious to creep up to people with a very quiet exhaust and then outrun them.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

Im getting more & more keener on the Varex.

But would wan a oval muffler as opposed to a milo tin style one & bit unsure about clearences with the offset entry/exit on the stock mufflers.

EDIT: Darryl - price is same for oval or cannon Varex's unless suppliers are willing to discount.

Edited by apg39

I remember the good old days when people put on an exhaust to make the car faster.

These Varex mufflers have some slick marketing to fool some intelligent people.

A bit like all the ppl putting big rims on their car to look sporty and they go slower

What is the world coming too...

whitestivo

sorry mate... but do you have any proof to back up your claim that this muffler will make my car slower. cos currently, i am making close to 20kw over stock with my system (not including the engine management)

the straight through protion of the muffler works VERY well in My opinion, and being able to close to make quiet is awesome.

so its hardly marketing speak... its factual. how do i know? i own one.

big rims is another topic together, but i wouldnt put that conversation anywhere near the same category as this.

cheap cannon mufflers arent really beneficial unless all you want is a fart sound, but these varex mufflers have a great note, and increase flow. thus improve performance.

Im getting more & more keener on the Varex.

But would wan a oval muffler as opposed to a milo tin style one & bit unsure about clearences with the offset entry/exit on the stock mufflers.

EDIT: Darryl - price is same for oval or cannon Varex's unless suppliers are willing to discount.

give the guys from Xforce a call... they are really helpfull and will be able to give you all the info you need re the inlet location.

BKS, you said yourself in a thread that you lost power with the varex closed.

So losing 35kw on an aurion, now that confirmation of your original post.

whitestivo

yeah i did say that... in lift it wasnt as powerful as with it open... in comparison to stock... i would say it ws the same

so what i meant was... i have less power with the exhaust closed, than open, but closed is the same as stock.... so i didnt lose any power, you get me?

35kw loss is huge... and i doubt realistic at all. it may be 35 k/w less than when its open.. but its such a huge varience, seems BS to me.

i was tossing up varex or not, and i remember thinking if BKS reckons it loses pwr (it was an older post not this one), welll sod that, i'm off get it custom done.' and now i am, ready in two weeks time, wait is killing me

hey, it's good we all do different things.

If you are after an Aurion exhaust go and talk to 313-GNT on this forum, 'he's run 14.4, that's fast, so he's doing something right.

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

If you are after an Aurion exhaust go and talk to 313-GNT on this forum, 'he's run 14.4, that's fast, so he's doing something right.

I personally doubt that Rowan's rear muffler change would be accountable for his 14.4 second pass. A member here by the name of jess_w had managed a 14.5 second pass with a stock AT-X with its soft suspension. All Rowan has done is swaped his rear mufflers only, just like what some of us here (including me) want to do. Only in my case I want my rear mufflers to be Varex. Provided that they don't increase the restriction over stock when closed (one reason why I want the oval design), I don't see the harm in fitting them.

i was tossing up varex or not, and i remember thinking if BKS reckons it loses pwr (it was an older post not this one), welll sod that, i'm off get it custom done.' and now i am, ready in two weeks time, wait is killing me

hey, it's good we all do different things.

whitestivo

hey man.. i dont think i ever said that i LOST power... like i said.. its not as powerful as when its open, but the same as stock, when closed.

comprende?