Fuel Economy - Yaris

nightsymphony

Hey everyone, I'm new around here and I just bought a Yaris Rush 08. I'm just a little concerned about the fuel economy. I'm aware of several threads floating around on fuel economy and was going to reply to one thread (but somehow have lost it and can't seem to locate it again after 10 minute so shifting through my internet history!). So if this seems repetitive, you have my apologies.

One of my primary reasons for buying a Yaris was because it's economical and efficient in terms of fuel consumption. However, on a full tank of fuel, I've so far done 330km and it's down to its last bar on the fuel gauge. This seems like less than what everyone else is getting. I don't trash the car, I don't rev it up (max revs I've done is 2500), I take off slowly and brake slowly, I don't idle. I do a lot of (Melbourne) city driving and I also drive to uni and sometimes I catch peak hour traffic - is this why I'm getting less kms than everyone else?

Just like to get some feedback and see if it's just my Yaris or if there are people experiencing the same thing.

Thanks so much! :D

Does the Yaris Rush come with a 1.3L engine? I have a YRS (1.5L) and I can get about 550km+ at the last bar.. My fuel economy is getting better with every tank too..

Did you buy it new? If so, I believe the engine has a break-in period. Your fuel economy should improve over that period.

Thanks for the quick response!

I bought it with 3000kms done on it. The manual says that the break-in period is 1000km. I guess the disadvantage in my case is that I don't know how the 3000kms were done.

And yes it's a 1.3L engine.

Wow, I'd be REALLY happy to get 550km or even close to that! I read that premium fuels might give it more mileage so I might try that out when I next refuel (which will be soon). Any opinions on fuel type? Maybe my car, like yours, will get better fuel economy with each tank. :)

Thanks! :)

I have about 5000kms on the car now, and mileage is still improving. Though I have been feeding the car Shell V-Power from day 1. :P

I got a bit of a bump after my oil change @ 1000km. At my next oil change (10000km), I'm going to switch to a full-synthetic oil. I read it will also give a slight increase in fuel economy.

So maybe give the car a few tanks of premium to run, as it takes a few tanks for the car to adapt to the fuel type. See how that goes..

Any opinions on fuel type? Maybe my car, like yours, will get better fuel economy with each tank. :)

The extra octane does not equate to more economy (or powah :P). The best fuel to run is what is recommended by the manufacturer, as the engine isn't tuned for higher grades of fuel it can't take advantage of them, so you are just spending money on something that doesn't help. You'll find that your engine is probably a little tight still, it'll get better. It also is more dependent on driving conditions. There is no point comparing Sydney peak hour performance to that of someone who cruises highways for long distances without any stop-starting. Synthetic oil will not give better economy, a 'lighter' oil will. For example if you are using a 20w50, going to a 10w40 will return better economy. Use what is recommended in the owners manual.

That's true, but doesn't higher octane fuels result in a cleaner engine in the long run?

SD, just to confirm - is 5w30 lighter then 10w30..?

The higher octane fuels typically -at least from the major brands- contain detergents to keep the engine clean.

5w30 will only be 'lighter' than the 10w30 while the oil is cold. The first value is related to the cold viscosity, while the second number is related to the hot viscosity.

That's true, but doesn't higher octane fuels result in a cleaner engine in the long run?

SD, just to confirm - is 5w30 lighter then 10w30..?

The higher octane fuels typically -at least from the major brands- contain detergents to keep the engine clean.

5w30 will only be 'lighter' than the 10w30 while the oil is cold. The first value is related to the cold viscosity, while the second number is related to the hot viscosity.

Oh ok awesome. Are there any benefits of using a full-synthetic as opposed to a semi-synthetic?

Full synthetics typically cost more (Redline, Royal Purple, Motul 300v). Semi synthetics (Mobil, etc) are cheaper, but they are mineral based. I use the Motul 10w30 turbolight myself and have no issues. But the only way to tell if an oil is doing it's job is to do used oil analysis (UOA). Mines and trucking companies are the main users of these tests. Provided you buy a good quality oil and don't add anything extra to it it'll be fine.

Ive been using Penrite 5w 40 Semi...

never looked back, but as my Yaris goin past 60k km its probably time to switch to a thicker oil or only do it when it hits 100k km?

Woah~ thanks for all the replies! :) But all that just went over my head haha.. Sorry, am not very well-versed when it comes to car lingo. I just know unleaded, premium unleaded and the e10 stuff. What's the difference between synthetic oils and semi-synthetic? Where can I get some of this lighter oil?

Thanks again! :)

What's the difference between synthetic oils and semi-synthetic? Where can I get some of this lighter oil?

Depends on what you mean by differences. In most basic form, mineral oil is oil that is produced from crude oil taken from the ground. This is why it is sometimes referred to as 'dino oil'. Synthetic oil on the other hand is created by man from various substances. Semi-synthetic is just a combination of the two. Pure mineral oil usually only as one weight to it. Semi-synthetic oil enables the ability to have a cold/hot viscosity range.

You can find all types of oil at various auto stores, ie. SuperCheap, Repco, Autobarn, etc. You can usually shop around and find some at a better price.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I managed to squeeze out 400km from a full tank. I've refueled with BP Ultimate and we'll see how that goes! :) If it doesn't get me more mileage, then I'll be switching it back to normal petrol (but since refueling with ultimate petrol, I've found it runs a lot smoother!). B)

I get about 400-500kms with rims on which are much heavier then steel wheels and still have the last bar of fuel left..

You should service your car regularly, check your tyre pressures and take out all the junk in the trunk to better your fuel economy.

The mileage will go up abit more in your next few tanks of BP Ultimate. Try sticking with the same fuel for a few tanks. You should see an increase over the next few tanks. I think I read the cars engine adapts to running with the new fuel.

I even tried switching between V-Power to BP Ultimate for one tank and the fuel economy dropped by almost 80km. So try stick to the same fuel over the next few tanks. =)

@ Lunjiaow, do you know how much the stock steelies weigh in at?

Ken33f - thanks, will keep that in mind. :) I've done 90kms on it so far (since refueling) and it hasn't dropped a bar yet (still has all 8 bars!). Fingers crossed it will stay that way! I remember on my previous tank of fuel, it dropped a bar after only 40km! So, very happy as of now.

Lunjiaow - I bought the car semi-new (3000km on it) less than 2 weeks ago and I got it fully serviced before buying it (same goes with tyres) and I don't keep anything extra in the car (just the car manual and the most I've had in it is my laptop and a couple of books for uni). :)

• 3 weeks later...

that fuel economy is insanely bad... last fill up i thrashed my car like mad (redlining and not using 4th and 5th very often- 3rd gear at 80km/h and sometimes even 2nd) and got 8.75L/100km = about 480km on a tank... Id take it to the dealer if it was me :|

• 4 weeks later...

oh i dnt know why but probably ive been revving it abit too hard (and added 1/2 of bottle of Nulon injection cleaner) i only got 90 odd km then the 1st bar disappeared lol...

Hey everyone, I'm new around here and I just bought a Yaris Rush 08. I'm just a little concerned about the fuel economy. I'm aware of several threads floating around on fuel economy and was going to reply to one thread (but somehow have lost it and can't seem to locate it again after 10 minute so shifting through my internet history!). So if this seems repetitive, you have my apologies.

One of my primary reasons for buying a Yaris was because it's economical and efficient in terms of fuel consumption. However, on a full tank of fuel, I've so far done 330km and it's down to its last bar on the fuel gauge. This seems like less than what everyone else is getting. I don't trash the car, I don't rev it up (max revs I've done is 2500), I take off slowly and brake slowly, I don't idle. I do a lot of (Melbourne) city driving and I also drive to uni and sometimes I catch peak hour traffic - is this why I'm getting less kms than everyone else?

Just like to get some feedback and see if it's just my Yaris or if there are people experiencing the same thing.

Thanks so much! :D

I only get approx 350 - 400 kms per tank in my Yaris Rush. I do most of my driving to work and back, and it's usually 3-4 kms per trip which means it's always under cold start conditions. Do you do similar driving? I got 95 kms on the 1st bar once, but that was on the highway. I don't usually see much difference between the different fuels, but I haven't used 98 octane for more than 1 tank in a row.

I just think the poor fuel economy is due to the conditions I drive the car in. It would be much worse in a vehicle with a bigger engine.

i could get 120km on freeway driving before the 1st bar drops...

probably coz i put in one of those nulon fuel injection that caused the drop in consumption...

i could get 120km on freeway driving before the 1st bar drops...

Same here with my Corolla and it's auto:) Correct me if I'm wrong, those nulon fuel injection are $12-$13 each right? I would rather spend that money on petrol ;)