Project 5S-GTE

hahahaah ash at least my car doesnt go errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr

more like this:

brrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BANGBANGBANG RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

|-offboost-|----------------------------boost-------------------------------------------------------|----gear-change----|-----boost-----------------|

and then the engine goes in limp mode and i have to take it back to ford... :lol:

lol @ limp mode.

My car doesn't even know what limp mode is

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ limp mode for me racing you going down to sydney. then thinking my windows stopped working for that reason hahahaha

were your windows ever actually broken?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

small update...

borrowed andrew's old front strut to try and make a frankenstrut... I think it went well.

Here is what i came up with;

Gen 5 Celica Strut top

Gen 5 Camry Strut

Gen 5 Camry King low spring

Gen 4 4cyl Camry Hub

Gen 4 V6 Camry Brake rotor

Gen 5 V6 Camry brake caliper

It all seems to fit together and work, I wont know for sure until the car is driveable

Pics;

5150498851_713251a31d_b.jpg

Thats how low it sits... its not brilliant

5150499201_c234299bac_b.jpg

Thats how big the rotor is (the wheel is 15in)... yes i know the rotor is manky... its just surface rust, the rotor itself has very little wear

Jesus, frankenstrut indeed.

You don't need the rear struts do you?

nah the rears are sorted. Not sure if i am going to end up using your fronts or not... the springs are def. too high.

But now i know that gen 5 struts are going to be the go.

frankenstrut... a frankenstrut would have LESS parts than yours... :lol:

genious idea though... lol

haha thanks.

The main advantages of this is 1) the ability to run 5x114.3 wheels (which are super common) and 2) The brakes on it now are a LOT bigger than stock, and with this setup i can even run aurion rotors and calipers (and i guess TRD ones potentially)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't done an update in ages so here goes;

The motor is all together in the car, everything connected that needs to be.

Went to fire it up, had an epic fail in that the timing was out by about half a rotation of the cam gear, the odd thing is that the first 2-3 revolutions it sounded like it had compression and was turning over as normal. This led me to the conclusion that the belt had slipped.

Anyway, pulled it all apart, reset the timing, tried to get the spring tensioner back on, couldn't get it to go on, much rage ensued.

I then decided to swap the crank gear for a 3SGE one (as a side note, of the two written up builds of 5SGE one uses the 5S crank gear and one uses the 3S one) and set the tensioner up in reverse (i.e put the spring on, and tighten it in the loosest setting.) this actually worked.

The timing belt is now on, the lower cover is on, as is the crank pulley, belts, etc.

Tonight I will put on the cam covers connect up the ign coil and try and start it... wish me luck.

I also received my suspension gear, so I will put that together, the car may soon actually be drivable!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

sooo, thursday night? :D :D :D hehe

Unlikely.

But it will depend how well things go tonight.

I had a similar issue with my timing on my smallport Mick it ended up being that i had set the timing to top dead centre but on the wrong compression stroke being 180 deg out, a quick hoy to the blind kid and we sorted it straight out as i cannot see the numbers on my lower timing belt plastic , thus we removed the cam gear cover and lined the gears up correctly - rookie mistake from myself but now shes all sorted again.

Mick