Why is the Kluger more popular than the RAV4

Bruster

I am owner of a ZR6 RAV since october last year i have been intrigued by the large number of Klugers i see on the road.

i dont know why, yes they offer a bit more space and features but its also heavier and thirstier.

The RAV name plate has also been around much longer than the Kluger... too me the Rav is faster, easier to park and has more appeal to a wider audience yet on this Forum the lack of interest on the Rav4 tends to send over to RAv4world.com the US forum for RAV's.

what do you guys think?

I am owner of a ZR6 RAV since october last year i have been intrigued by the large number of Klugers i see on the road.

i dont know why, yes they offer a bit more space and features but its also heavier and thirstier.

The RAV name plate has also been around much longer than the Kluger... too me the Rav is faster, easier to park and has more appeal to a wider audience yet on this Forum the lack of interest on the Rav4 tends to send over to RAv4world.com the US forum for RAV's.

what do you guys think?

I would think the Kluger actually caters for a different target group than that of the RAV4. It seems the RAV4 is mainly for the singles or those couples with at most a single child, while all the Klugers that I have seen roaming the streets of sydney have had a family man with a couple of kids in the back, or the wife with a couple of kids in the back. I think the RAV4 would seem a bit small for them.

I'm perfectly happy with the RAV4 and think it's an excellent car. Kluger should be skipped for a mighty Prado, but then again Toyota knows that out there are families that find the RAV4 maybe a bit small, and the Prado a bit expensive, so, a Kluger is just about right.

what do you guys think?

Beats me too! The ZR6 has it all.

The difference is that the Kluger is SUV and RAV4 is a compact SUV. Kluger is a family car and RAV4 is the car more for the active people(At lease thats what toyota positioned them currently) The problem is that they made RAV4 size very similur to the Kluger size.

Another thing that I've got a friend who is 1.95m and he couldnt fit to my rav, so he got a kluger.

Go figure

I bought a Kluger Grande as our family car as we wanted a 7 seater with a bit of luxury and our other choices were more expensive, slower, not as good fuel economy, not as much space, and too long. I didn't want a proper 4WD, such as a Prado, because they drive and handle like a proper 4WD.

The Rav4 wasn't even considered as it is not a 7 seater, not enough rear leg room (I have the drivers seat fully back and there is still plenty of leg room behind it), not much better economy and doesn't have as many features.

I also bought a Kluger KX-R as my work car. Again, I didn't consider the Rav4 for similar reasons, but the main reason was that there was nowhere near the rear storage room as the Kluger; I can fit a stepladder in the back of the Kluger without folding the front seat forward.

I don't think that many people buying a Kluger would have considered the Rav4 as they are not really intended for the same market.

I bought a Kluger Grande as our family car as we wanted a 7 seater with a bit of luxury and our other choices were more expensive, slower, not as good fuel economy, not as much space, and too long. I didn't want a proper 4WD, such as a Prado, because they drive and handle like a proper 4WD.

The Rav4 wasn't even considered as it is not a 7 seater, not enough rear leg room (I have the drivers seat fully back and there is still plenty of leg room behind it), not much better economy and doesn't have as many features.

I also bought a Kluger KX-R as my work car. Again, I didn't consider the Rav4 for similar reasons, but the main reason was that there was nowhere near the rear storage room as the Kluger; I can fit a stepladder in the back of the Kluger without folding the front seat forward.

I don't think that many people buying a Kluger would have considered the Rav4 as they are not really intended for the same market.

yes, i know the kluger offers all of what you mentioned but that brings me to my point...the kluger is mostly targeted at families and people who require more space yet on this forum the kluger seem to have much higher following than the Rav... just look at the post on the kluger section compared to Rav.

although if you look at at the dimensions of both cars there is not much between them...

Maybe, like myself, people were waiting for something in this class that wasn't a rip off (Volvo, BMW), too big(Mazda) and not low quality(Ford, Holden,Hyundai) and not too plain(previous Kluger).

It is also an enjoyable car to own, which can be seen by the number of posts by owners.

Maybe, like myself, people were waiting for something in this class that wasn't a rip off (Volvo, BMW), too big(Mazda) and not low quality(Ford, Holden,Hyundai) and not too plain(previous Kluger).

It is also an enjoyable car to own, which can be seen by the number of posts by owners.

"Plain" style of the previous kluger - mmmm i think thats arguable.... I like it, but each to their own. Also not sure the Ford, Holden and Hyundai owners would be very happy with your post either. Hyundai have actually improved their build quality in leaps and bounds - so much so that the new santa fe is a serious competitor to the kluger.

Cheers

Matt

"Plain" style of the previous kluger - mmmm i think thats arguable.... I like it, but each to their own. Also not sure the Ford, Holden and Hyundai owners would be very happy with your post either. Hyundai have actually improved their build quality in leaps and bounds - so much so that the new santa fe is a serious competitor to the kluger.

Cheers

Matt

I was just saying what I based my descision on, it's definitely not fact. Some people may agree with me and I'm sure that many won't.

Some people can see the value of spending extra money on a badge.

Hyundai have definitely improved when compared against other companies, not so much Holden and Ford.

Style is totally subjective, so nobody is right or wrong.

Cheers

Matt

I was just saying what I based my descision on, it's definitely not fact. Some people may agree with me and I'm sure that many won't.

Some people can see the value of spending extra money on a badge.

Hyundai have definitely improved when compared against other companies, not so much Holden and Ford.

Style is totally subjective, so nobody is right or wrong.

Yeah i totally agree, i'm not saying you're wrong (i don't mind if you think its plain), but all i'm trying to point out is that you should be aware that there are current gen 1 kluger owners on the forum. And lets face it almost everybody loves their own car and don't like it being painted in a negative way. I actually deliberately bought mine because of its style, go figure :)

Cheers

Matt

I guess the popularity of the new Kluger is that it provides a large SUV solution, fully featured at an affordable price - a unique alternative. The RAV6 is very similar in size to all the other smaller SUV's, providing similar features apart from the 200Kw. Perhaps fewer drivers see a value in 200KW for the much higher cost.

I guess the popularity of the new Kluger is that it provides a large SUV solution, fully featured at an affordable price - a unique alternative. The RAV6 is very similar in size to all the other smaller SUV's, providing similar features apart from the 200Kw. Perhaps fewer drivers see a value in 200KW for the much higher cost.

I so completely agree with you in regards to what the Kluger presents. However, the RAV4 V6 is a must for those that don't need the features that Kluger presents, while they're unsatisfied with the Rav4 V4 performance, and they believe that looking at other SUVs in the same category of the RAV4 would be disappointed. Seriously, I would only consider replacing the Rav with an X3 or Q5, - the rest are not even in my radar after visiting their dealers and seeing them, they dropped too fast.

Value of the 200KW is in the "power" to move the vehicle and passengers with a touch of the accelerator. Kluger is about 500Kg more than that Rav4 with a similar engine if not the same, but still capable of carrying its weight. ;)

Hey guys, just waiting at City Toyota in Perth waiting for my Rav to get its 10,000km service done. They have an internet facility which is great and passes the time.

As for the new Kluger, I love the shape and styling...even though it's me and my mrs, and there will be no kids in the near future, I'd love a Kluger AWD(even though we'd never use it's 7 seats). Its called the Highlander in the US and has been around. The Rav is great as well and very practical. I traded my Corolla Sportivo for it...even though I miss my Sportivo as hell..the performance...the 6 speed manual transmission...oh well...but the Rav is definitly more practical as I want to travel more and it's great on the beaches and sand dune.

But everytime I see a Kluger, I just love it's styling and the AWD was out of my price range. But for now the Rav is a long time keeper...I'll buy a Civic Type R or a Golf GTI for my sporting needs sometimes next year (when my mrs calms down as I have bought 4 brand new cars over the past 2.5 years and ended traded them in after 6 months for something else ha ha)...come to think of it, its been 6 months with the Rav...but I'll restrain this time...to much fun on the sand.

And for sure, it's good to see some conversation happening here...we should try and organise a soft-roader Off-Road day out. Eureka do them and I think it cost $250 a day. Check this link out:

http://www.eureka4wd.com.au/content/view/22/75/

It would be fun to have a day out with the Rav and Kluger lovers!

I took the RAV ZR6 with a few blokes to Nelson's Bay for the w'end - cruising on 110kph on the F3, I flicked into 4th gear to overtake, touched the accelerator and had it at 140kph in a matter of secs before backing off. It certainly is a unique SUV in its class. I recently read about the new super-fast BMW X5 & X6 currently under test in EU but they are obviously in a different class to the RAV V6 and Kluger models. The Kluger would need a super-charger to accelerate its bulk along.

wow, i went on holidays and came back to see the topic going strong.

i travel to canberra once per month and i can tell you Rav has enough space to fit lugage, pram and more easily.

only wish the rear seats were a little wider.

I generally bought the Kluger KX-S for the same reasons s Mikeyboy. I would have preferred the Prado for 4WD, but then it was more expensive and I wouldn't have really used the 4WD much, if at all. A Landcruiser was too big, and simply out of our price range. The Mrs liked the Rav4 but we felt having the 7 seats was a big plus, and since getting the Kluger we've used them at least once a month.

I took the RAV ZR6 with a few blokes to Nelson's Bay for the w'end - cruising on 110kph on the F3, I flicked into 4th gear to overtake, touched the accelerator and had it at 140kph in a matter of secs before backing off. It certainly is a unique SUV in its class. I recently read about the new super-fast BMW X5 & X6 currently under test in EU but they are obviously in a different class to the RAV V6 and Kluger models. The Kluger would need a super-charger to accelerate its bulk along.

The kluger is suprisingly quick for such a large car (see the topic FASTER THAN R50 V10 TWIN TURBO VW TOE RAG!!! (AWD KX-S Kluger) *7.10 sec 0-100kph and 15.37 seconds @ 146.66 kph (91.13mph) 1/4 mile*, performance and economy analysis of my KX-S AWD Kluger). I've never really found it wanting, even when needing a quick burst of speed to ovetake someone while cruising at 100kph. I've found it tends to suprise some people who don't expect it to be as quick being an SUV (particular those driving SS commodores). Obviously the Kluger would be no match for a superfast X5 or X6, but it would be good if Toyota would do a super-charged TRD version. I believe the sales performance of the FPV Territory hasn't been that flash, so on that basis Toyota might be tempted not to follow Ford's example.

On this side of the planet, the RAV4 is Toyota Truck Division's best seller, and the 2nd best-selling compact SUV right behind the Honda CR-V. I saw a listing of the top 10 selling cars in the US, and the RAV4 was number 7. Visited my Toyota dealer on Friday, and he only had 8 RAV's on the lot. He says he can't keep them. Back in November I considered a Highlander, but for what I paid for a top of the line RAV4 Limited V6 I would have ended up with a stripped out Highlander. I'm happy with the RAV, it has more than enough space for passengers and cargo, and the V6 makes it fun to drive!

Excuse my ignorance junebug but what is the difference between a RAV V6 limited and say the ZR6? Is there a site I can visit?

They are pretty much the same. Some of the features of the ZR6 (moonroof, leather seats, NAV system) are options on the Limited. I'm comparing the 2008 models here. Looking at the pictures, the Limited comes with adjustable crossbars on the roof rack--looks like the ZR6 only has rails. The Limited comes with 6-spoke alloy wheels while the ZR6 has 5-spoke. The ZR6 has the repeater lights on the fender and the antenna on the roof. The Limited has no repeaters (they have been added to the mirrors for 2009) and the antenna is on the fender (moved to the roof for 2009). We also have the option of 2WD--my Limited is 2WD as I had no need for 4WD. In 2009 the Limited has also added push-button start with smart key, a VSC disable button, auto on/off headlamps, and the aforementioned changes to the mirrors and antenna. For some reason they made the power driver's seat optional in '09--you pretty much have to get the heated leather seats to get it now. There may be more differences but that's all I can think of right now. You can go to buyatoyota.com and check it out. When it asks for a zip code use 70805.

Excuse my ignorance junebug but what is the difference between a RAV V6 limited and say the ZR6? Is there a site I can visit?

They are pretty much the same. Some of the features of the ZR6 (moonroof, leather seats, NAV system) are options on the Limited. I'm comparing the 2008 models here. Looking at the pictures, the Limited comes with adjustable crossbars on the roof rack--looks like the ZR6 only has rails. The Limited comes with 6-spoke alloy wheels while the ZR6 has 5-spoke. The ZR6 has the repeater lights on the fender and the antenna on the roof. The Limited has no repeaters (they have been added to the mirrors for 2009) and the antenna is on the fender (moved to the roof for 2009). We also have the option of 2WD--my Limited is 2WD as I had no need for 4WD. In 2009 the Limited has also added push-button start with smart key, a VSC disable button, auto on/off headlamps, and the aforementioned changes to the mirrors and antenna. For some reason they made the power driver's seat optional in '09--you pretty much have to get the heated leather seats to get it now. There may be more differences but that's all I can think of right now. You can go to buyatoyota.com and check it out. When it asks for a zip code use 70805.

Thanks for this info & detail, junebug.

Much the same as the other posted responses from Kluger owners.

Prado, Cruiser to big and too many $$$$'s, + the Kluger's AWD grip safety on the road and in the wet that Prado and Cruiser don't have on the sealed surfaces.

Rav too small and sorry guys/girls I really don't like the spare wheel carry/cover arrangement on the back. Yep there's really no other place to put it I guess.

Reaching 49 yr at the time of purchased financially perfect with the novated job package.

Hardly ever use the rear seats and only once used the third row for a theater run pickup. (got the 3'd row for resale mainly) Daughters at 18 + 16 don't come out much now with us, as one has her own new car.

AWD was the big point and bulk of the vehicle for towing my boat. Launching at steep ramps inland of weirs/dams and with the drought having the concrete become out the water. You can launch on firm dirt edges with the AWD and tyre girth+ size/footprint measurement of the Kluger.

Rear camera tops for reversing hook up with trailer too.

So guess the Kluger fitted the market for me better than Rav for towing mainly.

Edited by fish475

My wife currently drives a Rav4 which she uses for her business to cart things around. Its been a fantastic car for what she needed and has been nothing but reliable and comfortable. As for me, Ive just sold my Landcruiser (2001 diesel) which I loved, however it was starting to cost a little too much in fuel and we'll take advantage of purchasing a vehicle through our business. I've seriously considered purchasing a new Prado D4D but the new model comes out later this year so Id rather wait for the update model in two years or so time when they've ironed out the bugs of the first model.

In the meantime, I need to buy a car that will suit all our intended uses. We have thought about buying a Rav SX6 for the power, however, as much as I like them, they are not full-time AWD (I don't like the active AWD system), are a little small inside for our needs, I especially don't like the rear door swinging out to the side (hopefully the new Prado will rectify this problem too) and we also feel we have 'outgrown' the Rav (not a maturity thing, just personal taste). We will have a kid on the way soon and will still use the car for taking off on weekend trips, camping and roadtrips etc so need plenty of space. At the end of the day, the Kluger fits the bill perfectly for us. My preference is a Prado, however, given we wish to wait a few years before we buy a new 4WD, the Kluger is a happy medium. Fulltime AWD, acres of space, very comfortable and the V6 still powers it along briskly (though if only they made a diesel!).

Friends of ours have two toddlers and a '08 Rav4. The Rav4 was great when they the one bub, but now with two kids they're starting to find space a little cramped for storage etc. It's still good, but tight, and they prefer the interior of the Kluger. I think this sums up the Kluger's popularity. Most people I know (35+ age bracket) like the Kluger for its size and more mature looks (I know that can be subjective - its just what I hear). It's a vehicle that many people feel safe in (due to its size), is noticably larger inside than a Rav and doesn't cost much more to purchase than a V6 Rav. Plus, as has already been stated in other posts, most people don't use 4WDs for their intended purpose (ie 4WDing), they just want a large car with height, plenty of safety features and the option of AWD they can use on dirt roads and national park trails on the weekends.

That's not to say the Rav4 isn't able to do most of these things, but evidently many people feel the Kluger can do them just a little better. I'll be signing the contract for a new Kluger Altitude AWD shortly.

Edited by Croozer

I see alot of talk about the Kluger being alot bigger than the RAV4. From what I see the Kluger is only 160mm longer and 55mm wider. Does this make that much difference?

Ten years ago I would have bought a Kluger like a shot. Now, however, the kids don't want to go out with the olds any more, and a "family car" is just too big. I'd be pulling the extra weight for nothing 99% of the time.

I have no experience of 4WD vehicles, so I can't really comment on this. However, I have read that the part time AWD isn't bad, and, in any case, when the going gets really sticky you can lock the RAV in full time AWD under 40km/h, can't you?

I'm looking forward to putting this to the test when the RAV finally arrives!