Crappy fuel consumption

man i luv lift, dunno how u can't use it at all or twice in a week.. this week i never use it in the morning to work cause traffic is good, but on the way home i get fustrated and overtake and what not in lift lol,

with the clicking.. i hate those pumps that are broken and u cant hold the nozzle full ball or it clicks its nuts off :( u have to do it slowly :(

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how is that not reliable, surely toyota set... actually how do toyota set the fuel light coming on.

we could always be like the episode on seinfeld, when they just keep driving the saab with the fuel light on.

if someone get 800 out of a tank, (which is technically possible), i'll be nominating them for member of the month.

photo proof required of course.

whitestivo

You have to remember the 2zzge is way more efficient than the 1zzge. My wife 1zz auto only gets 500ish ks from a full tank with normal driving. My sportivo never gets under 600ks from a tank even with regular lift right to redline and city driving. My best is 750ks combined (with petrol light on) and my second best is 735ks. Both of these figures were city/hwy driving with zero lift. I reckon i could crack 800 on highway only driving with a jerry can in the boot just in case. The sportivo also has a 60ltr tank whereas the 1zz corolla only has a 55ltr tank. When my fuel light comes on it usually means i have at least 10 litres left so 800ks is possible.

how is that not reliable, surely toyota set... actually how do toyota set the fuel light coming on.

we could always be like the episode on seinfeld, when they just keep driving the saab with the fuel light on.

if someone get 800 out of a tank, (which is technically possible), i'll be nominating them for member of the month.

photo proof required of course.

whitestivo

You have to remember the 2zzge is way more efficient than the 1zzge. My wife 1zz auto only gets 500ish ks from a full tank with normal driving. My sportivo never gets under 600ks from a tank even with regular lift right to redline and city driving. My best is 750ks combined (with petrol light on) and my second best is 735ks. Both of these figures were city/hwy driving with zero lift. I reckon i could crack 800 on highway only driving with a jerry can in the boot just in case. The sportivo also has a 60ltr tank whereas the 1zz corolla only has a 55ltr tank. When my fuel light comes on it usually means i have at least 10 litres left so 800ks is possible.

Kinda different comparing a 6-speed manual to a 4-speed auto though :P Of course the auto is going to be less efficient.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gang,

I did a trip to Hervey Bay and back this weekend, so my fuel consumption should be quite good with minimal traffic/urban driving.

On the way home tonight I got 718km to the orange light. Tomorrow when I fill the car up will know if I cracked 6L/100km or not. :)

Gav.

OK, the results are in: 6.708L/100km!!! That was 48.93L / 729.4km X 100. (it may have been 48.73L?)

Can someone please work out how much further I could have driven on the notion that I had 11.07L left in the tank?

It looks like I might've broken the 900km barrier if I ran it dry using the fuel in the lines to get me there. :P

Gav.

From my calculations it would be

11.07/6.708 X 100L = 165.03 Km

So your total would be 894.43. Close to 900! But If you ran it bone dry you probably would have made it past 900 due to overfill and all that

Thanks Azz!

So now we know it's definitely possible to break 900km with a single full tank in a Corolla Sportivo! I say this knowing that I was in traffic for up to an hour crawling in 1st and 2nd gear at Caboolture during my round trip to Hervey Bay and back; plus I used lift a half dozen times or so, and did a bit of local driving between Logan and Graceville, and around Hervey Bay. All up I suspect 6.5L/100km would be achievable without the traffic and local driving, perhaps slightly better again. But the driving I did do reflects a good mix of real world conditions and should be able to be repeated. I used Shell V-Power during this trip, next time I will try Caltex Vortex95.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm quite excited to see a car with almost 150kW at the crank pumping out this sort of economy!

Gav.

Yes yes, but you have engine management, and that usually = good fuel economy on the HWY.

Gav.

That was without the PowerFC, I haven't cruised a whole tank with it yet. I'd usually hit lift 3/4 times a day while doing the uni run, so I wasn't going too easy. The hint? do 100 instead of 110 on the M1 ;)

I don't have trouble sitting on 100kph when indicated these days. I did find 90kph to be dramatically quieter than 100kph though, however 110kph wasn't much louder than 100kph. This has me really wanting the Celica 6th gear when my box has a reason to come out of the car again. :)

Gav.