Crappy fuel consumption

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not 800, not even close.

keep driving drw, I think you may make it to 800km

whitestivo

I think record with my car is around 56mpg, which is pretty well up there. If I say, removed side mirrors, removed passenger/rear seat, spare wheel, all my suitcases, removed aircon/PS and all trims I might just make it :)

drew, your nomination is waiting.

i'm taking my aerial off, and folding my mirrors in, and i'm gonna get to 700, i may even tape up my grill and air vents to improve air flow like on top gear

now were goal setting.

whitestivo

Say byebye to your engine if your covering up the grill :P

Evo

I'm only getting around 400km out of a full tank

You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P

If you're getting low 7's, it's possible if you run the tank almost dry. And I've been down to 2L before, which is why I don't trust the orange light...

Neither do I trust the orange light. I've filled up 61.02 liters before doing about low 700KMs mix driving.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or was it mid 700KMs ???? :unsure:

Ask the Melb guys, I tend to do it more often than not thinking what is the actual capacity of our tank. Curiosity tends to get the better of me .......... :P

i'm taking my aerial off, and folding my mirrors in, and i'm gonna get to 700, i may even tape up my grill and air vents to improve air flow like on top gear

now were goal setting.

While you're at it, why not go all out:

http://hackaday.com/2008/01/02/inexpensive-mpg-modding/

cheap-mpg.jpg

i only get 436kms out of my tank last week.. thats using.. 45L.. i'm rather disappointed with this.. i do try very hard to keep rpm down.. shifting at 2000~2500 rpm.. even from 1st to 2nd.. and i'm still on 9.2L/100km according to the the trip computer.. i wanna improve my fuel economy.. cuz according to toyota, my car should be doing about ~8L/100km

Jacob.C

Edited by JCheung

get 800 out of a tank, (which is technically possible), i'll be nominating them for member of the month.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...st&p=198389

As is mentioned in all the other economy threads there is 10L left in the tank in a Sportivo when the light comes on.

What about a 1zz? how much remains in the tank when the light comes on?

Evo

After reading the fuel consumption you guys are getting i'm nearly ashamed of posting mine!

Back here in Suriname there are no highways, only what you guys call urban and city roads.

Having said that, the most km i can get from a full tank is 380 km, driving at an average of 3000 rpm. Only ones i hit the 400 mark!!

May sound unbelievable. But it's true.

If your car isn't properly maintained it will also affect your mileage.

When was the last time you serviced the car?

When was the last time you did a wheel alignment?

Have you checked your tyre pressure?

You need to ask yourselves these questions too and feel free to add to the list.

I remember getting almost 800km out of a full tank in the 102 a couple of years ago, but that was almost entirely on open road/highways and before I got my exhaust and intake on...

And the fuel light is a useless indicator, mine will come on and go off when there's more than 15L left in the tank because I'm going up hill, or around a roundabout too fast, or even over bumps. Both ways that I go out of my street in the morning lead to very steep down-hill bits before turning onto the main road, so I'm often sitting there for up to 5 minutes waiting for a break in traffic. During that time, my fuel gauge can go up by almost a quarter because of the slope, and the opposite if I'm stuck at the top of Beaumont St waiting to turn onto Glebe Rd.

Filling the tank all the way to the top, then driving for a long distance and refilling it to the top and measuring the ks travelled is the only reliable way of getting fuel consumption figures.

Also, saying how many ks you get out of a tank is useless unless you state how big the fuel tank actually is. My parents regularly get more than 700km per tank in their Camry, but that's a 70L tank, whereas the Corolla is only 50L. Plus, you never put a full tank of fuel in, and never the same amount each time either, thus a L/100km or km/L figure is the only real way to compare.

I get mixed results.. but since the tune its more pronounced.

on a recent trip to Dubbo from Melbourne i averaged with a full car load 7.2l / 100 kms. that was at about 110 km/h and periods of over the speed limit (love the Newell at 7:00 am)

So if you take the above figures as gospel.. the car could have theoretically done 902kms on a tank.... :huh:

in the city though and on average the light comes on when reach the 515 mark. Then the car takes bout 47 - 48 litres.

If i am excessively heavy footed the Tune will dump more fuel through the injectors, which of course eats the mileage away.

I cant even come close to those kinda figures :( most i have ever gotten is 500KM, all highway driving.... i average 3-400km a tank mixed... but then again I do flog it everywhere.

You need to ask yourselves these questions too and feel free to add to the list.

Hey mate,

I did realise recently that my tyres were running a little flat.. I didn't know that Toyo T1R proxies are made for high psi.. so pumped all 4 tyres from 28-29 psi to 40 psi. Since then, I've experienced an improvement with fuel consumption. The stivo gets serviced every 5000km so it is due for one now - I'll let you guys know afterwards whether there's been a marked improvement.

Question --> for those who are using the T1R's, what pressure do you have your tyres at??

Dave.

Hey mate,

I did realise recently that my tyres were running a little flat.. I didn't know that Toyo T1R proxies are made for high psi.. so pumped all 4 tyres from 28-29 psi to 40 psi. Since then, I've experienced an improvement with fuel consumption. The stivo gets serviced every 5000km so it is due for one now - I'll let you guys know afterwards whether there's been a marked improvement.

Question --> for those who are using the T1R's, what pressure do you have your tyres at??

Dave.

hmm, im not using t1r, but as far as i know, normally people are saying low profile tyres are normally about 40 psi. not sure tho, but thats what i heard :) hope it helps

question: as previously mentioned.. about changing gears at 2500rpm or low rpm might not actually be the best for fuel economy, because it might actually put extra load on the engine.. just wondering.. lets say you're doing 60km/h.. do you cruise on 6th gear or 5th? and what rpm do you do before changing from 1st to 2nd ?

if i was getting 400, id do a throttle body service, new air and fuel filter, and oil change, and possibly a fuel injection service.. dunno if toyota have this but when i work on the commodores, i reset the fuel trim for the ecu after doing a few of these.

question: as previously mentioned.. about changing gears at 2500rpm or low rpm might not actually be the best for fuel economy, because it might actually put extra load on the engine.. just wondering.. lets say you're doing 60km/h.. do you cruise on 6th gear or 5th? and what rpm do you do before changing from 1st to 2nd ?

The general consensus is change at under half your redline for best economy. Cruise in highest gear possible.

if i was getting 400, id do a throttle body service, new air and fuel filter, and oil change, and possibly a fuel injection service.. dunno if toyota have this but when i work on the commodores, i reset the fuel trim for the ecu after doing a few of these.

I don't know why nobody else has noticed it, but - O2 sensor is very likely the cause.