Crappy fuel consumption

For those who have a CAI installed - do you see any difference in fuel consumption?

yes, i want to know as well, thinking about getting one.

It will ever so slightly improve your fuel economy as it's helping your car become more efficient. Keep in mind as soon as you start modding cars, you tend to drive them harder negating any gains you might have made :P

My CAI has resulted in worse fuel consumption, but that would partly be attributed to driving style.

Remember that cold air = more dense air, so for the same throttle opening you will be inducting more air into the engine so the ECU will dump more fuel in to keep the AFRs even, thus for the same throttle openings as before you will use more fuel, but also make more powerful. Either you will learn to use less throttle to achieve the same acceleration as before, or will use the same throttle to achieve faster acceleration (thus using more fuel).

A CAI may improve efficiency (as cars run better on colder air), but remember at the same time they are making more power so overall the fuel consumption may well rise

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A CAI may improve efficiency (as cars run better on colder air), but remember at the same time they are making more power so overall the fuel consumption may well rise

I’m having second thought about getting CAI.

What about performance exhaust system, would that increase the fuel consumption?

Any increase/decrease in fuel consumption from the CAI will be negligable. What is more likely to affect economy will be how often you want to hear the induction noise.

My fuel consumption got worse as I wanted to hear the noise. When Dad used it his consumption was the same.

Just got my sportivo recentlly and installed a CAI. Before installing it I could get 300ish km out of half tank (didn't know how much a full tank was cause I put in the CAI). After putting the CAI in I can see that my fuel economy has dropped a bit and no where near the 300km per half tank. This is mainly cause I love hitting lift and hearing the induction noise lol therefore using more fuel

Just got my sportivo recentlly and installed a CAI. Before installing it I could get 300ish km out of half tank (didn't know how much a full tank was cause I put in the CAI). After putting the CAI in I can see that my fuel economy has dropped a bit and no where near the 300km per half tank. This is mainly cause I love hitting lift and hearing the induction noise lol therefore using more fuel

you should measure fuel consumption as x L per 100kms, more reliable and the reading of the first half of the tank always goes down slower than the second half. :)

you should measure fuel consumption as x L per 100kms, more reliable and the reading of the first half of the tank always goes down slower than the second half. :)

I suppose thats a better way tho not too sure as how to measure how much fuel is used. Only way I can think of is fill up, run for 100ks then fill up again and look at the receipt

I suppose thats a better way tho not too sure as how to measure how much fuel is used. Only way I can think of is fill up, run for 100ks then fill up again and look at the receipt

Drive for longer than 100km, the further you drive the less effect the inaccuracy in the fill volume will have on the result.

Process is thus:

Completely fill tank

Drive for X kilometers (the larger X is, the better)

Completely fill tank

Measure number of litres put into the tank, L

Divide L by X and then by multiply by 100, and you'll have a L/100km figure. Or, divide X by 100, then divide L by that number)

ie:

Drive for 500km, and it takes 40L to fill the tank

(40/500)*100 = 8L/100km

might be abit of a stupid question but when you guys fill up, how many clicks do you guys fill it up to?

Some of my friends tell me that they fill up til it pretty much splashes out while others tell me they only go til one click.

Also, are there any pros/cons to overfilling/underfilling?

Drive for longer than 100km, the further you drive the less effect the inaccuracy in the fill volume will have on the result.

Process is thus:

Completely fill tank

Drive for X kilometers (the larger X is, the better)

Completely fill tank

Measure number of litres put into the tank, L

Divide L by X and then by multiply by 100, and you'll have a L/100km figure. Or, divide X by 100, then divide L by that number)

ie:

Drive for 500km, and it takes 40L to fill the tank

(40/500)*100 = 8L/100km

Ahhh nice process. Will try that out on my next fill up. in a week or so. just hit 1/2

boring

i hit lift twice last night, and I was kicking myself, the fuel gauge is down to the last skeric, and I've just gone past 650km... new record for my stivo

probably hit lift a good half to dozen times, since the exhaust, consumption has been excellent.

i will do l/km when fill up, but I'm gonna see if I can make it to 675 first.

whitesitvo

it's best to not fill up past the first click, mostly depends on the configuration of the breather line from your tank. Overfilling can cause fuel to go into the breather line to the charcoal cannister which isn't great.

it's best to not fill up past the first click, mostly depends on the configuration of the breather line from your tank. Overfilling can cause fuel to go into the breather line to the charcoal cannister which isn't great.

I generally fill up to the first click, let it settle for a bit, then go for anothe spurt. If it clicks again really quick (and the hose isn't at some odd angle), then I stop. I've had the click happen after only 30L or so on a pretty much empty tank, the alignment of the filler in the pipe can be very finnicky.

Overfilling can cause fuel to go into the breather line to the charcoal cannister which isn't great.

I’ve been overfilling my corolla since the day I bought her – November last year. I fill her up every Tuesday with BP Ultimate (5 clicks) and she loves it. I’ve noticed with BP Ultimate, the first click always happens a lot quicker than using the other 2 unleaded.

i use to get about 550kms per tank running on BP ultimate. Carried out an injector service at work, has increased fuel consumption to 615kms

if you want a fuel consumption report/indication carry out a 3 tank test

run the car until fuel light comes on, fill it up, write down from bowser how many litrse, reset trip meter and complete it 3 times

I dont know what you guys have in your rollas, like extra fuel tanks? I get about 560km out of a tank.

nah mate, sounds about right. i got the zre corolla as well. doing an average of about 550km per tank.

i don't run her dry (roughly 10L left when i fill up) and i am not at all surprised about other people's figures.

i drive in peak traffic everyday up and back down princess hwy and i'm doing 550km per tank,

other people's figures are definitely possible if they do more hwy driving or don't have a lead foot like me hehe.

the result is in

the first 300km was spent on the freeway to and from Byron, the remaining 371 was spent around town.

i hit lift 8-10 times and drove the car as i regularly would, oh, except i folded in the side mirros for aerodynamics

and if you can't add, i made it to 671, light was on at 653, and I kep going, and I kept thinking, sht, what if Gav's right and there isn't 10 litres left in the tank and that little light is the final moments in the life of of my 2zz engine

so I bailed and filled up.

for those that prefer, it was 7.48l/100km.

whitestivo

You have yet to better my 7.1L/100km. :P But yeah, one time my orange light came on while driving home from work, and when I went to fill up 30-40km later, it had 3L left in it!!!

Gav.

must be the inner city south, too many dcks in eg and ek civics coming in from sunnybank that i have to kck their *****. i knew i shouldn't hit lift , too save fuel, but i couldn't help myself.

7.1, that is mighty, you are indeed great gav

whitestivo

wow you guys are great! such low figures..

do you guys reckon i should try using 95 bp for a month or so? instead of ultimate?

will it result in better or worse mileage?

heard somewhere there's no point using ultimate unless you got a sports car.

the only reason i've been using 98 so far is the period of running-in the engine..

Ok just filled up my sportivo

500.3Ks

filled up 47.65L

doing some maths that equates to 9.52 L/100k

Is that bad? Am i driving wrongly? =S Sounds quite bad for a sportivo