Adding Lift?

I thought I'd bring this to the Guru's, I'm wondering if it's possible to add Lift to a standard Corolla, or in my case Corolla Levin ('03 model), it's mainly curiosity that causes me to ask this question, and also hearing many wierd and wonderful stories about people who have done certain things.

Now forgive me if it is a stupid question... I've been told by some people that Lift is merely a function involving the ECU, and others saying it also has the engine components side to it (which is what I thought, I have been doubting that a simple ECU change could add this function plus 41kw of power out of a standard car vs what the Sportivo is putting out)...

I've also thought it to be obvious that the rev counter on the dash would need to be changed as the Sportivo's redline later than the standard Corolla's.

The gearbox also strikes an issue in my mind, the Sportivo is 6 Speed as opposed to my 5 Speed, and I'd imagine the ratio's would be slightly different as a result, meaning that the car winds out faster/slower so Lift on a Levin would be much different to Lift in a Sportivo.

Basically, can someone tell me how Lift works? Am I on the right track with everything said above?

As I said earlier, it is mere curiosity that I ask these questions, but who knows if it's a simple procedure I might want to give it a try :D

Cheers fellas!

I thought I'd bring this to the Guru's, I'm wondering if it's possible to add Lift to a standard Corolla, or in my case Corolla Levin ('03 model), it's mainly curiosity that causes me to ask this question, and also hearing many wierd and wonderful stories about people who have done certain things.

Now forgive me if it is a stupid question... I've been told by some people that Lift is merely a function involving the ECU, and others saying it also has the engine components side to it (which is what I thought, I have been doubting that a simple ECU change could add this function plus 41kw of power out of a standard car vs what the Sportivo is putting out)...

I've also thought it to be obvious that the rev counter on the dash would need to be changed as the Sportivo's redline later than the standard Corolla's.

The gearbox also strikes an issue in my mind, the Sportivo is 6 Speed as opposed to my 5 Speed, and I'd imagine the ratio's would be slightly different as a result, meaning that the car winds out faster/slower so Lift on a Levin would be much different to Lift in a Sportivo.

Basically, can someone tell me how Lift works? Am I on the right track with everything said above?

As I said earlier, it is mere curiosity that I ask these questions, but who knows if it's a simple procedure I might want to give it a try :D

Cheers fellas!

If it was that simple, i would have done it ages ago :P

Evo

ok guys this is the thread to put all your technical term questions eg..

VVT-i and VVTL-i

What is VVTL-i ?

In addition to VVT-i, VVTL-i also incorporates a changeover mechanism that varies both the amount of lift and the duration of valve opening of both the intake and exhaust valves. The VVTL-i mechanism uses two different sets of cams on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts to provide different settings for low/medium engine speeds and high engine speeds. This makes it possible to produce very high engine output (power) without sacrificing fuel economy or torque at lower engine speeds. (Note how flat the torque curve is.)

How does VVTL-i work?

The Toyota 2ZZ-GE features different sets of cam lobes on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts for low/medium and high engine speeds. When the engine speed exceeds 6000r/min and the engine water temperature exceeds 60 degrees Centigrade, the ECU activates an oil control valve that pressurises oil passages in the inlet and exhaust camshafts. This activates a cam changeover mechanism on each set of cam lobes which ‘locks’ the cam rollers onto the high-speed cam profiles. The result is that the lift of the intake and exhaust valves is extended, enhancing the engine's 'breathing' and power.

Video

can you add lift to a 1zz corolla.......yes u can, all depends on what you mean by lift? if your talking about a high duration camchaft which is what lift is then yes, if your talking about VVTI-L......... then no. you'd be an idiot to add a high duration racing camchaft to your daily driver any way, thats what makes the VVTI-L system so genius.

lets say you put that racing camchaft in, and all the hardwear to go with it, rods, springs aftermarket tacho, 2zz gearbox(been told they fit),computer etc etc, youd still find it hard to keep up with a 2zz ;)

Sell your car, get a 2ZZ-GE.

done!

if you want lift take this mans advice

2zz gearbox(been told they fit)

yes they do.

Easy way to change to a 6 speed. Just need to get the gear ratios right in order for you to fully take advantage of it.

;)

2zz gearbox(been told they fit)

yes they do.

Easy way to change to a 6 speed. Just need to get the gear ratios right in order for you to fully take advantage of it.

;)

Just a question on top of this, i have an 05 rolla, would the new corollas 6 speed fit in mine aswell? also are there any major improvements and also what sort of cost are we looking at?

thanks guys

can you add lift to a 1zz corolla.......yes u can, all depends on what you mean by lift? if your talking about a high duration camchaft which is what lift is then yes, if your talking about VVTI-L......... then no. you'd be an idiot to add a high duration racing camchaft to your daily driver any way, thats what makes the VVTI-L system so genius.

lets say you put that racing camchaft in, and all the hardwear to go with it, rods, springs aftermarket tacho, 2zz gearbox(been told they fit),computer etc etc, youd still find it hard to keep up with a 2zz ;)

Pointless on a 1ZZ head as it won't flow anywhere near enough air to produce worthwhile power above the normal range. Lift is valve lift, not cam duration - the two don't always go hand in hand either.

can i add the 6spd in the stivo is not my favourite in terms of ratios, especially 6th.

get a celica one instead, would that fit

whitestivo

Mate, work on your punctuation!!!!!!! <_<

Won't give a sh!t if it isn't because i'm having a headache trying to understand even the simplest of English you are attempting. :huh:

can i add the 6spd in the stivo is not my favourite in terms of ratios, especially 6th.

whitestivo

Won't give a sh!t if it isn't because i'm having a headache trying to understand even the simplest of English you are attempting. :huh:

--------------------

Can I add; the 6spd in the stivo is not my favourite in terms of ratios, especially 6th.

Get a celica one instead. Would that fit?

--------------------

Is that better? You think the original one's bad? It can't be as bad as the guys over at Toyota Nation. Surely we aren't becoming that picky and unable to make an understanding of what we read. Look at this; they are getting picky over a simple thread title:

Originally Posted by njerald

It doesn't say LED turn signal mirrors...................

LED Tailights & Turn Signal Mirror Mod

In grammar, theres something called parallelism, something that is huge on the new SATs. Here's an improper example of parallelism:

1) I had a red bucket and a wagon when I was young.

Grammatically, this would be considered incorrect (at least on the SATs), because the noun bucket was preceded by the adjective red. Thus, the noun wagon should be preceded by an adjective to balance the sentence out. Here is a proper example of parallelism:

I had a red bucket and a red wagon when I was young.

This is correct, with parallelism being reinstated. However, the original sentence, I had a red bucket and a wagon... In most cases, the adjective red would be unconsciously applied to both bucket and wagon, based upon appearance and connotation.

LED Tailights & Turn Signal Mirror Mod

If you really want to be grammatically correct, you would say LED taillights & nonLED turn signal mirrors. However, since parallelism is not prevalent here, the LED would be unconsciously applied to both the taillights and to the turn signal mirrors. This would mean that both would be LEDs, according to the OP.

Since Njerald has more experience in these mirrors than any of us, the turn signals probably fails to have LEDs. As for implying that it does in the title, yes it does have LEDs.

Pointless on a 1ZZ head as it won't flow anywhere near enough air to produce worthwhile power above the normal range. Lift is valve lift, not cam duration - the two don't always go hand in hand either.

your correct in saying lift is valve lift not cam duration, but higher cam duration accompanies longer valve lift, where this does not apply is when you start to play around with camshaft lobes.

in regards to the 1zz's flow rate ive been told many different things, but am yet to see any hard evidence for or against.

Edited by spillige

your correct in saying lift is valve lift not cam duration, but higher cam duration accompanies longer valve lift, where this does not apply is when you start to play around with camshaft lobes.

in regards to the 1zz's flow rate ive been told many different things, but am yet to see any hard evidence for or against.

Not if you're talking FI cams ;)

It would only make sense the FE head would flow a lot less air than the GE head, if you look at the history of head flow between the two heads on the similar blocks there's a HUGE difference. The reason the 2ZZ head needs to flow a lot is simple - VVTI. Without it, the FE head only has to flow enough air to keep the power up at around 6k, if anybody has a dyno chart you should see it dropping off somewhere around there.

Not if you're talking FI cams ;)

It would only make sense the FE head would flow a lot less air than the GE head, if you look at the history of head flow between the two heads on the similar blocks there's a HUGE difference. The reason the 2ZZ head needs to flow a lot is simple - VVTI. Without it, the FE head only has to flow enough air to keep the power up at around 6k, if anybody has a dyno chart you should see it dropping off somewhere around there.

The drop off on a 2zz Dyno chart at the 6K mark inst anything to do with the flow on the head.

That happens as a result of the ECU pulling the timing from the engine just before Lift kicks in to give us the "kick" we feel when lift comes on.

I've had that "dip" tuned out.

whitestivo

What is its thats you cants reads the most verys least?

I didn't need to add Lift to my current car. It already had 13b Turbo goodness and perfect 50:50 weight distribution.

I didn't need to add Lift to my current car. It already had 13b Turbo goodness and perfect 50:50 weight distribution.

You CAN'T add lift anyway because you don't have cams :P

[sacrasm]Oh I thought I did, noes. See I'm a typical blonde ho who know's f/a about cars.[/sarcasm]

Leroy services and takes care of my car anyway to be honest, so he sees more of it than me. He's my man after all.

Edited by RXSeven

[sacrasm]Oh I thought I did, noes. See I'm a typical blonde ho who know's f/a about cars.[/sarcasm]

Leroy services and takes care of my car anyway to be honest, so he sees more of it than me. He's my man after all.

Rob you troll, i swear you will never die.

Rob you troll, i swear you will never die.

I'm not Rob. I'm also female. Last time I checked I had a vagina.

Haha - I'm friends with both Rob and RXSeven (aka Jules). To be dreadfully honest (and blow the cover on a new tocau romance B) :whistling: ), last time I CHECKED she definitely had the female package...

Rob, on the other hand, is all male (don't ask)... and is secretly quite jealous of RX's lovely yellow bird...

To be dreadfully honest (and blow the cover on a new tocau romance B) :whistling: ), last time I CHECKED she definitely had the female package...

:wub: