your pic of the bunch

Lupetto

Ok

so im thinking about buying an old school tyota to make into a drift machine / or even Adelaide Rally car (the club hill runs they hold now and then)

I was thinking about buying an old banged up AE86.... but there fairly over priced

Then i looked into a MR2 (serries 1) again fairly overpriced

with a 10k budget what would you get to strip/clean/and spree into a life of drift?

So with this $10k budget, will that need to include engine work that has to be done? Cause if that were the case, you're limiting your choices just a little. I'd get an old school Supra, LOL.

MR2's don't drift, too much weight over the rear wheels. Hachi's are still incredibly expensive, and are just going to go up and up.

KE70 with 4AGZE is going to be best bet.

i agree with the_random_hero my dad had a ke70 and it was turbo we used it for rally they r quite cheap as well

• 1 month later...

Just remember if your new to drift , something with a shorter wheelbase like a ae86, ke70 will snap into a drift alot quicker than say something like a Soarer , so can be a handfull for a beginner

• 2 months later...

There are a few good options mentioned already;

An older corolla of say Ke70 era with a 4Age of any cariant is always a good start point but its a high revving engine without much torque so bravery is key as entry speed has to be high.

An older soarer with a 1G-GTE is a great start point just buy a bigger turbo my friend has one with std internals pushing about 300RWHP with turbo and intercooler mods only.

Main thing to remember is this start cheap if you dont care for looks essential ingredients are;

Good stiff suspension you should be able to find coilovers for most "drift pigs" cheap enough

A good free spinning motor with some torque say a 4Age for a corolla 7mGTE supra or soarer or 1GGTE soarer

A good clutch, And some decent front tyres.

Another option not mentioned here wasnt there a version of the celica from early 80's with a 3t-GTE 1.8 turbo?

I have an AE86 Panda Coupe rolling shell for sale.

Located in Melbourne but willing to send interstate if keen?

This would be my pick... Drift King's (Keiichi Tsuchiya) favorite drift car of all time!!

Might be a handful in the beginning (what with the 4AGZE you're installing ;) ) but better than outgrowing your car in a hurry.

I have an AE86 Panda Coupe rolling shell for sale.

Located in Melbourne but willing to send interstate if keen?

This would be my pick... Drift King's (Keiichi Tsuchiya) favorite drift car of all time!!

Might be a handful in the beginning (what with the 4AGZE you're installing ;) ) but better than outgrowing your car in a hurry.

Very Nice Car... BUT... no-one wants to bend an 86... with a KE70 at least you can give it hell and not worry about if you are ever giong to see a rear 1/4 panel to fix it.

Remeber guys he wants a DRIFT car for under 10k a dead stock AE86 is gonne eat up 50-70% of that budget and finding a KE70 for sale in even half decent condition isnt as easy as it sounds (My nephew is looking for one) other alternatives include older celica's you can just as easily instal 4AGE's into them and much cheaper than AE86 and just as nice looking.

Bang for buck i still think a 1G soarer is gonna be easiest and most power for dollar. pick one up for say 5-7k depending on condition

1k max for coilovers

spend rest on a clutch (If manual already) and an intercooler

Find someone selling a bigger turbo in good condition 2nd hand bolt em on

whatever you got left go to town if not manual already find a gearbox and put it in.

those are guesstimates though and realistically getting a 4AGE in a corolla whilst it is easy who knows how many kays the motor has done and if its in good cond setting the Suspension and gearbox up its a lot of money to get a 4A competitive for drifting and its jsut not as easy to drift as a turbo when you got power on tap. You gotta be committed to the corner and carry speed through it with a 1600 motor you dont have the power or torque to correct half way through really.

Team thrash Garage......those guys were on a cruise the other day.....two KE's and a corona........the guys behind the wheel of them have great skills...... the 3 cars in total are prob worth under 10k easy but they love them, thrash them and enjoy them....was great to witness them out and about on sunday. They are there thrash cars whilst they have another fair few cars between them that they are doing up, i think one of them has a nice sprinter he is doing up.