sound quality set up help

im looking for to upgrade the audio in my car im looking for a sq i want peoples insite on the products that i think will make a good sq set up

focal 3ways front, focal 2ways rear, 2 12inch alpine type rs or option audio pro 12s or a brand from america audio pulse axis 15inch sub cause i wont be able to put 2 with how big the box has to be to proform at its peak and 2 amps for the front and rears and a mono for the sub or subs

what do you think of this set up and brands for sq

sean

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya can't go wrong with Focal front splits & rears,the good ones arn't cheap.

1 quality 12'' sub (installed correctly) should do the trick,Rockford Fosgate,MTX,JL Audio,Soundstream,ect,ect.

Amps ya can have a look at some of the Rockfords,Earthquakes,MTX,Kicker,theres some real good Amps out there.

sound deaden the doors & boot with what ever set ya go with and it will make a huge difference.

p.s the brand names above are just a few of my favs and not suggesting this is the only product out there but some of these brands i've used in the past and using now,and i love the sound quality & power they produce. B)

anyway good luck with ya audio set up,it's great fun shopping for all the little goodies to create ya own little sound MONSTER,i've just about finished mine and the whole exercise from concept to reality took about 4-5 months,but i'm almost done and what great fun i had doing it. :D

yeah focals are good if you are willing to put out some coin for it. +1 for sound deadening what headunit are running? Also think of Alpine they make some top quality stuff either type x or type r. At the moment I mainly running Kicker which is pretty good considering they werent break the bank expensive

im looking for to upgrade the audio in my car im looking for a sq i want peoples insite on the products that i think will make a good sq set up

focal 3ways front, focal 2ways rear, 2 12inch alpine type rs or option audio pro 12s or a brand from america audio pulse axis 15inch sub cause i wont be able to put 2 with how big the box has to be to proform at its peak and 2 amps for the front and rears and a mono for the sub or subs

what do you think of this set up and brands for sq

sean

Your idea of setup is more towards SPL. It screams loud system.

Going 3-way is a good choice for superb sound staging and seperations, and you don't need more than 1 sub-woofer. Sub-woofer is only to help your front woofer producing bass of the music.

Rear speaker is not necessary, and to some point its not needed because it tends to ruin your front staging. The rear passengers would be better off hearing the accurate front staging of your system. Unless your system is something like Mark Levinson in Lexus or Harmann Kardon in Mercedes Benz.

Sound deadening is very important, and applying dynamat on the door is not enough. You need to put in absorbant material like sponge between the door skin and the door panel, and apply it where its needed.

The most important thing is the install and tuning, without it no matter how great your gears are its useless. Below are some ideas you may find useful.

Speaker; Focal is a good speaker, so stick with that if you like. It is a bright speaker, but it may suits you. Recently I heard AVI speakers, they are great. DLS are also one of my top choices, then Morel.

Subwoofer: ask which one that blends well with your Focal, and one 12' is enough. Even 10' is enough believe it or not. I would probabaly go for JL Audio. Rockford Fosgate Punch/Power is one mean SOB too, but I don't know if it can play smooth bass.

Amplifier; I am thinking Audison for the Focals. Clean frq and powerful. For sub amp, almost any good brands can do the job. Find one that can power your choice of subwoofer.

Head unit; this is very important. You want one that produce natural sounding, and I recommend Nakamichi CD400 as entry level for S.Q system. There is a pioneer HU that I really like, but unfortunately its not available in AUS market.

You need the best RCA cables you can afford, I use Directed Audio Expert series which I found to be really good and don't really hurt your wallet as the outcome is brilliant enough.

Good luck.

hey everybody thanks for your input i have already got a head unit its a alpine 9882i but will be upgrading to a alpine indash screen when upgrading system the focal 3ways i want cost nearly 1000 bucks they sound reali good i'm still leaning towards audiopulse axis 15inch sub is a good alround sub it costs 1,100 imported from america it can handle 2500 rms and it has awsome sq and spl and it gets reali loud and clear http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/axis

tell me wat u think

sean

As long as the sub can blend right with the Focal 3-ways.

I am just concerned it will overpower the front speaker and turn it into bass machine.

if he gets the good Focal splits(165krx2 or 165krx3) theres little chance of drowning them out with bass as they are a very crispy/bright and very powerful with the right AMP they sound a treat.

the sub is very important that it matches ya setup otherwise as Dan said it will become a bass box.( 1 x quality 10'' or 12'' sub fitted right should do it) to many setups are all bass at the rear and NO GO up the front,but the good Focals should sort this out.

if you do get a subwoofer from alpine i suggest the type x for SQ, i have 2 type r's and they are pretty much spl, the advatanges of getting a type x is that you get clear bass whether it is at low or high volume, i get clear bass when i get about 20% of volume. With subwoofer size, the smaller it is the smaller the range is however the faster the bass would respond for example the 10" gets low to 26hz when the 12" gets 24hz however the delay on the 10" (without tuning) could be micro seconds faster (in extreme low tones) than the 12"

if you do want to save money and boost for better fronts, rears arn't required. rears are just for the back seat passangers (however this nullifies the use of the imprint microphone system as it requires all 4 speakers). This can be seen in may SQ cars or sexy spec cars as the display of rears looks funny if it isnt done right.

Sorry for the late submission but thats my opinion (i have no internet at my new place for a while)

one more thing, the PXA (imprint box thingy) is worth getting, opens your option to fine tune and set delays to each speaker and set gain for each Hz range.

If you are seriously into an SQ setup, then the staging and imaging of your speakers is the most important thing to consider. We are talking custom fibreglass pods that are angled properly, starting off with a nice quiet car is really important as well. If I had to point to you the directions on products to look for then

Splits - Focal, Moral, Boston Acoustics, Rainbow...do an audition since you are throwing in so much money

Subs - I wouldn't go with the Alpine Type X if what you are after is SQ. Boston acoustics G5, try the Digital designs range there not too bad, JL would be good too if they have recently updated their range (in the past three years)

Amplifier - Audision gets another vote from me

HU - I've been happy with alpine units as they are quite good

thanks for all the input im going out morrow to listen to bosten subs and a jl sub i might go with 1 reali good 12 or 2 10s for sq i will look at the boston g5 12 and a 10 inch digital design 1510 and jl w3 10 and 12 inch sub

tell u wat i think of them after i listen to them

sean

Why are you not considering a focal sub are they no good? i would think they would blend with the fronts the best being the same brand?

Focal seem to do excel in their speakers and are known for that.Focal amps & subs are ok but there is much better out there for the money.

a lot of people mix the product to create the sound there after and sometimes going one brand wont do this,but on the other hand when you do go one brand its usually compatible and goes together much nicer.

went out and looked and listen to the bosten g5 and jl audio subs but i think i will go with rockford fosgate p3 12 that offered good sq and good bass but a bit pricey but thats alright rather pay for quality then crap

sean

went out and looked and listen to the bosten g5 and jl audio subs but i think i will go with rockford fosgate p3 12 that offered good sq and good bass but a bit pricey but thats alright rather pay for quality then crap

sean

yeah very nice them rockford subs & amps,the Punch series is superb,a little more moola and ya can step upto the Power series and i do mean POWER i've got the 12'' in at the moment and its a real little powerhouse(still running it in),seems to compliment my Focal splits(still running in tweeters) nicely.

anyway i think ya doing the right thing at the moment,checkin out all the options available and i think ya on the right track,if ya dont mind me asking whats a ball park figure ya want to spend on the whole shebang? :unsure:

right now my budget is 3.5gz and the p3s are 600 for the 12s each and a amp to power them are 1200 that will fed them both 500rms each at 2ohm and 1000rms at 1ohm the splits are focal 165KRX2 $1099 not going to worry about rears and an amp to power them dont know which one to get i was going to get a jl amp around 450 total part cost nearly 4gz

sean

right now my budget is 3.5gz and the p3s are 600 for the 12s each and a amp to power them are 1200 that will fed them both 500rms each at 2ohm and 1000rms at 1ohm the splits are focal 165KRX2 $1099 not going to worry about rears and an amp to power them dont know which one to get i was going to get a jl amp around 450 total part cost nearly 4gz

sean

should be able to get one 10'' or 12'' Rockford POWER series sub,12'' T112D4 they cost about $600ea.personally one of these bad boys is enough,i was running 2 x 15'' clarion 1500w subs in my Pug 306 hatch(sound tested to 148db) and this kicks just as hard if not more.(let ya know when its run in).

the Rockford mono amps to run these are a T500-1bd(about$750)or T1000-1bd(about $900) or its big bro T1500-1bd(about $1100)good thing about these amps no probs later if ya want add another sub later if ones not enough.i'm gettin the T1000-1bd in about 2-3weeks to update the ole Clarion im using at the moment,can't freakin wait. :yahoo:

p.s you sound similar to myself with ya starting budget($3500) so try not to let that double as i almost have,and remember to get a good install because all this top gear is worth nudda without it.

yeah i was looking at the power subs but i though a p3 was a good compramise between sound quality and bass my budget originaly started at 2gz but i found out to geta good sounding system you need more money lol

sean

yeah i was looking at the power subs but i though a p3 was a good compramise between sound quality and bass my budget originaly started at 2gz but i found out to geta good sounding system you need more money lol

sean

check out if ya haven't already RockfordFosgate.com and use there compare boxes and checkout the diff between the whole Punch range v's Power series you might be suprised.then checkout if ya haven't already,one of cheapest online places to buy is caraudiowarehouse.com.au they sell Rockford cheaper than most,i used em as a guide for price when i started lookin for my stuff and it helped when going for the best deal.even if ya stick with the Punch series it will be a bloody sweet sounding system anyway. :toast:

i have looked on rf.com thats how i cam up with the decision on the p3 cause it is between the p2 and t1 but since going on the caraudiowarehouse site i might get the t1 12

sean