does your rear view mirror vibrate at high speed?

when i going at 90-100kmph my rear view mirror vibrates, the vibration is too small to see but it blurs the view. is this normal in corollas? my side mirrors are fine.

haha, take the sub out lol :lol:

Evo

Gotta be serious right. No road is absolutely smooth. There are slight variations in the smoothness of a road (even new ones) and when you're travelling at those speeds, your car is going to pick up on these. Your suspension and shock absorbers will be reducing what you feel, but you car is going to have some slight up and down movement that is going to be noticeable in your mirror.

Your eyes are pretty good at stabilising what it sees, but there is only so much you can do.

It's quite normal. It's because the mirror is mounted on the roof. You should see how much mine shakes riding on D2s and with a sub :lol:

• 7 months later...

it vibrates 90+ kph. Ive driven in a merc and a mirage on the same route and no vibration. Wheel balance done etc.

Ill have to live with it but I want to try loosening? (its a high freq vibration) the mirror mount when I figure out how to.

Edited by chicken

If you have a lower profile tyre, that will affect your ride comfort too (which in your case is felt thru your rear view mirror). Not to mention that poor alignment will also contribute to the same issue.

Individual wheel balance although shouldn't affect it much but I had personally experience vibrations from uneven thread wear between the tyres on the left and right (i.e. left had 50% tread left whilst right has 70%)

But then again, lowering ride also makes driving "more positive".

It's quite normal. It's because the mirror is mounted on the roof. You should see how much mine shakes riding on D2s and with a sub :lol:

you should see mine with 2xsubs, i dont even know why i still have it there,lol

Mine's actually worse now, because I have the engine mount inserts in B)

So even if I'm stationary and rev it vibrates lol or even at idle :lol:

Again like I said it's because its mounted to the roof, so therefore its connected straight to the body. I think Mercs have it stuck to the windscreen? That would explain less vibrations.

Mine's actually worse now, because I have the engine mount inserts in B)

So even if I'm stationary and rev it vibrates lol or even at idle :lol:

Again like I said it's because its mounted to the roof, so therefore its connected straight to the body. I think Mercs have it stuck to the windscreen? That would explain less vibrations.

:P like the boat falcons too.. they`re stuck to the windscreen and they dont vibrate as much as the rollas but u still cant see clearly because u start gettin sea sick

I was driving from Brisbane to Toowoomba yesturday and back again today.

I was traveling at 150+.

small vibration in the rear view mirror.

Completely safe, I know.

Im now going to defend myself from abusive people.

It was a straight, flat road. About 4 km long and I could see the whole thing.

not a car on the road other than me.

Now, to the business side.

at the speed you are traveling. (90+)

the mirror will vibrate a little,

it is also your body that vibrates a fraction.

you may not realise this though.

Its mounted on the roof in the merc (1994). Probably due to its good sound deadening and luxury suspension. My friends mirage is windscreen mounted I think.

Maybe replace the roof mirror and with those aftermarket windscreen mirrors that allex suggested. is that legal? Anyway I added some thick double sided tape in between the mount and its reduced but could be better with dynamat or something more dense.

eh I just deal with it..

+1

I barely ever need my mirrors in the first place. If I really need to see what's behind (ie. a cop etc), I use my side mirrors. These don't vibrate with the bass on my Aurion luckily.

eh I just deal with it..

+1

I barely ever need my mirrors in the first place. If I really need to see what's behind (ie. a cop etc), I use my side mirrors. These don't vibrate with the bass on my Aurion luckily.

Funnily enough my driver's side mirror vibrates pretty bad when the bass notes hit :lol:

thanks for bumping this thread as it got me into action and fixed the vibration issue. i used two o rings from the plumbing kit as washers on the two screws. the trick is to not turn the screws too tightly.