Is Kluger AWD really AWD?

Croozer

Im very close to ordering a Kluger AWD based on the belief it has a different system to the RAV4 - that is; unlike the RAV4's 'on-demand' setup, the Kluger is an actual AWD system and drives all four wheels all the time. However, an article I read about the Kluger today indicated the AWD Kluger is the same as the RAV4 - 'on-demand'. Can anyone shed some light in this and confirm what they understand the system to be?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

It's a 50:50 split - if you do a search of this Kluger forum for "torque split" there are a couple of threads with some links & info. Hope that helps you?

Cheers

Im very close to ordering a Kluger AWD based on the belief it has a different system to the RAV4 - that is; unlike the RAV4's 'on-demand' setup, the Kluger is an actual AWD system and drives all four wheels all the time. However, an article I read about the Kluger today indicated the AWD Kluger is the same as the RAV4 - 'on-demand'. Can anyone shed some light in this and confirm what they understand the system to be?

Cheers,

Dan

^ Thankfully she is permanent 4wd (50% power to front & 50% to rear) :) Hence full traction on 0-100kmh tests (or so I am informed cause I would never actually do those in mine as I am no Hoon) :whistling:

Haha, but you read about someone who did right? ;) Thanks for the info, I was getting a little concerned about forking out an extra $4500 for a system that isnt really full AWD. I tried doing a further search on 'torque split' as suggested by Holmesie but I still cant bring up any info on the AWD setup. Not sure if Im using the search function incorrectly...

Edited by Croozer

Us awd kluger owners cant be hoons, as we cannot spin any wheels for any significant amount of time, maybe a second...thats on bad roads.

THe awd is excellent, not the same as the rav4 one, but the rav4 can lock it in 50:50 VIA BUTTON on dash.

Thanks for that, made things a little easier. One more quick question, how do you find the leather interior? Im halfway between an Altitude and a KX-S at the moment, but am unsure of the quality of the leather (generally Toyota goes a little cheap when it comes to leather) and how it resists little kids! The extra little luxuries are nice but not really things I'd miss if they weren't there. If the Altitude had a leather steering wheel I'd be set.

So far so good with my leather, although I treat it pretty well with Meguiars leather care products. Living where we do I find the black shows up dust, fingermarks etc. quite easily but that would not be an issue if you lived in the city. Mine is coming up to 12months old and no problems from my two kids and their friends. I don't really know how to tell if the leather is good quality or not, but it seems up to whatever we've thrown at it up to now...

Cheers

IMGP2067Large.jpg

Edited by holmesie

Cheers,

Dan

AWD Every day all day with the Kluger :yahoo: .....Is the Rav on demand that would explain why they are a handful to control of the mark and in short bursts...Just heard that last week. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, made things a little easier. One more quick question, how do you find the leather interior? Im halfway between an Altitude and a KX-S at the moment, but am unsure of the quality of the leather (generally Toyota goes a little cheap when it comes to leather) and how it resists little kids! The extra little luxuries are nice but not really things I'd miss if they weren't there. If the Altitude had a leather steering wheel I'd be set.

I have two kids, 6 & 8, and find the leather is doing well. They have learnt not to get the car dirty upon penalty of death. Like Holmesie I use the Meguiars leather care products to look after the seats. Their leather wipes are great for promptly treating any marks. Biggest problem area is the backs of the front seats near the base. The kid's legs aren't long enough, so they stick straight off the cushion and into the front seats. I generally clean this areas every 1-2 weeks with a wipe and the dirt comes off.

The plastic panelling is far worse for marks than the leather seats. All you need to do is touch them and you seem to get white marks. I ended up using a trim protectorant foam which fixed that problem.

As for the quality of the leather, there are some scares on the original hyde that are present on the cushion of the front passenger's seats. I would have thought that a scared part of the hyde would not have been put in such a visible position. That would be my only complaint with the leather so far. I hope that Toyota would have used at full-grain leather rather than split leather for the seats, with a PU coating for durability. I'm not quite sure how to tell the difference though.

Well, I took an AWD Kluger for a test spin today not quite knowing what to expect. Coming from a LC100 diesel Im used to the feel of a large 4WD verging on a truck like experience. Admittedly I like driving Landcruisers and its something Ive become used to. Hopping into a KX-R AWD, I was immediately amazed by how easy it was to drive! Its comfortable, has a bootful of power under the bonnet and with the AWD system it sticks to the road like glue. I walked away mighty impressed and it confirmed my decision to purchase an AWD Altitude. I appreciate the extra cost of AWD over 2WD, but in my book the AWD is worth the extra cost for the driving experience and safety factor alone. I never thought id say this as until recently I could never see myself in one, but the Kluger is a seriously nice car and I cant wait to get it!

...the AWD system it sticks to the road like glue. I walked away mighty impressed and it confirmed my decision to purchase an AWD Altitude... the AWD is worth the extra cost for the driving experience and safety factor alone.

So you drove to 2WD Kluger to compare? And I think the KX-S is a better deal if it's only a couple grand different.

...the AWD system it sticks to the road like glue. I walked away mighty impressed and it confirmed my decision to purchase an AWD Altitude... the AWD is worth the extra cost for the driving experience and safety factor alone.

So you drove to 2WD Kluger to compare? And I think the KX-S is a better deal if it's only a couple grand different.

No, I havent driven a 2WD Kluger for a direct comparison. Unfortunately, the dealership didn't have any 2WD Klugers in stock. Im basing my experience on driving a RWD Territory, FWD Rav4 and a FWD Aurion. Please don't misunderstand my comment, Im not passing judgement on those who have bought a 2WD Kluger, Im simply stating what's important for me personally. As for the KX-S, I guess its what youre after. I dont want the leather interior or electric seats and in the past have never used auto climate control (nor would I ever use the steering-wheel mounted climate control buttons), preferring the simpler 'do-it-yourself' climate control. For me, the Altitude is better value with a DVD player, sunroof and cloth seats. I did look at the KX-S and considered whether it may be better value for a few grand more, but at the end of the day there's no use paying for things you don't need or want.

Well, I took an AWD Kluger for a test spin today not quite knowing what to expect. Coming from a LC100 diesel Im used to the feel of a large 4WD verging on a truck like experience. Admittedly I like driving Landcruisers and its something Ive become used to. Hopping into a KX-R AWD, I was immediately amazed by how easy it was to drive! Its comfortable, has a bootful of power under the bonnet and with the AWD system it sticks to the road like glue. I walked away mighty impressed and it confirmed my decision to purchase an AWD Altitude. I appreciate the extra cost of AWD over 2WD, but in my book the AWD is worth the extra cost for the driving experience and safety factor alone. I never thought id say this as until recently I could never see myself in one, but the Kluger is a seriously nice car and I cant wait to get it!

After 12 years with my 80' Series LandCruiser, I was not impressive the built quality with my 120' Series Prado. After test drive the Kluger I feel the Prado was better built! Why not give the 200' Series LandCruiser a go?

If the 4WD Kluger can drive (by city sleeker) in the snow without fitting on chains, it must be a capable/really AWD. :rolleyes: