mechanic says gear rollover

got a 05 stivo and is still under statutory warranty from a dealership secondhand, i took it in with a rattle in the gearbox when idling in neutral with clutch disengaged, once i engage the clutch the noise goes away, once a/c kicks in the noise gets heavier. i had a feeling that the throw out bearing may be shagged but the mechanic at the dealership said that it was just gear rollover but im not happy with his decision cos if it cost me big dollars later to replace throwout bearing and most prolly clutch if it fails due to the bearing im gonna be ******... the question is has anyone else got so called gear rollover in their 6 speed???

p.s i have a wrxc with a straightcut ge****t in it and it has gear rollover and it sounds nothin like this rattle noise.

cheers stacey

sounds like one of the rollers in the spigot bearing has collapsed... :unsure: ??

as for that gear rollover thats crap, car idles ok?

if it what u think it is, a "throw out bearing"/"thrust bearing", box has to come out, id get the manager to get in the car with you and go for a drive.. when it gets written down on the RO the technician looks at it, gets in the car, puts it in his bay, plays with the clutch, and says normal... Its different when the manager hears it in the car with you..

my guess is spigot bearing and thrust bearing.. its noisy cause its not got pressure against it between the fork to the pressure plate, so once u press the clutch in, its got pressure on it, then noise is gone yeah? so when its lose it rattles like a mofo..

get it fixed before warranty goes..

cheers bud thats basically what i thought it was too but its going to my mechanic next thursday for a service so i will get him to look at it and see what he thinks it is, i think i got a couple weeks left of warranty but if it runs out then i will stamp my feet til they fix it for nothin lol, they'r jus tryin to get out of it coz they made **** all money on the car cos the salesman was a good mate of mine.....

the car idles fine, drives fine (there's a noise in second gear at 5k an above once u press the clutch to change gears, like its rubbin on a selector and slowing down or somethin its kinda hard to explain)

nah its not extended warranty its just statutory warranty on roadworthy items ie gearbox etc lol, 3 months long and it runs out 10th of next month lol hence y it goin to my mechanic this week, i wouldnt trust this dealership to service my lawn mower let alone a car lol but if its free then i cant complain, if worse comes to worse i will get my mechanic to do it and send them the bill.

Sportivo's dont run a spigot bearing. The issue you describe is definately the throwout bearing, quite common as they get older.

Sportivo's dont run a spigot bearing. The issue you describe is definately the throwout bearing, quite common as they get older.

Is the throwout bearing also known as the flywheel bolt??? :unsure:

no... The flywheel bolts are known as flywheel bolts, they bolt the flywheel to the crank ;)

If they come loose you've got a lot of trouble on your hands.

Throwout bearing can be seen in the bottom left corner of this pic:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/images/products/05800.jpg

It clips onto the clutch fork, and the bearing slides on the input shaft sheeve to press against the pressure-plate fingers to release pressure on the clutch.

Bearing on a clutch fork, installed, can be seen here:

http://www.m1xe.com/pics/92sr5/clutch/P1000546.JPG

Edited by CHA54

I'd say throwout bearing too, and they can go even at relatively low ks (parent's Mazda2, which has been reliable as the sun since day 1, had the throwout bearing go at about 70,000km).

Gear rollover is such a stupid term though, what's wrong with the proper gear term called backlash?

Nachi or NSK throwout bearing is usually about $40. Labours around the $4-500 mark to remove/replace the box.

When replacing the gearbox, what should we change "as well" ??

The following is what I had ...

- Flywheel Bolt

- Clutch

- ThrowOut Bearing

- Braided clutch lines ???? (Is it replaceable on the Corolla Sportivo ??)

- Longer Clutch Push Rod ??

- Bleed clutch lines.

Any other seals we need to replace?

my car has a slight rattle with same scenario.....once clutch engaged it disappears....hasnt had any affects thus far and i think i mentioned it to toyota in the past....from what i can remember the car has had this slight rattle at idle with clutch disengaged since i got it with 11k on it....has not got worse and from memory does not always occur. Im a bit vague with it as it hasnt had any negative affects, has not got worse over time and therefore i have not been too worried about it...70k service is in 5000km so i will get it looked at then. Im sure i asked someone a one point, cant remember and they mentioned its certain clutch parts just slightly rattling whilst not engaged....might be different to what your mentioning ? not sure

I got a gearbox infront of me and was thinkin of u.. With the car inneutral and clutch pedal not pressed, your input shaft in the box is spinning, and when u press your clutch pedal your input shaft stop spinning, is it possible it could be your input shaft bearing???

Cha5e you'd probably know.. Just thinking of anything else rather than thrust bearing..

Edit:: sorry misread :(

Edited by 123R-Prozak

- Flywheel Bolt

- Clutch

- ThrowOut Bearing

- Bleed clutch lines.

The driveshaft seals are usually OK unless the person removing the shafts stuffs up and damages the seals with the splines on the driveshafts.

Toyota recommend to replace the driveshaft nuts too.

I'd also be prepared to replace the rear main crank seal if your cars getting towards the 100,000km mark.

Longer clutch push-rod isn't required with a properly adjusted master cylinder, you also dont have to bleed the clutch line as you can unbolt the slave and line from the box and just swing the whole lot out of the way to get the box out.

sure sounds like a thrust bearing to me mines the same and its been that way near 60,000 k's and it hasnt failed just is a bit noisy if a mechanic told me the noise was gear roll over id knock him out only cause i know thats bull****

you can replace your throwout bearing possibly even the clutch if you want to but i havent ive got 100,000 on mine now with the original clutch still feels good and doesnt slip.

if you are going to do it dont replace the rear main unless its actually leaking sounds stupid i know but seriously if its replaced its more likely to leak than if its left well alone and its rare they leak anyway.

Clutch release bearing is definately stuffed...

Could also possibly have a noisy A/C Compressor too...

Take the car to a Toyota dealer for a full inspection and take that report to the place where you bought the car from...

got a 05 stivo and is still under statutory warranty from a dealership secondhand, i took it in with a rattle in the gearbox when idling in neutral with clutch disengaged, once i engage the clutch the noise goes away, once a/c kicks in the noise gets heavier. i had a feeling that the throw out bearing may be shagged but the mechanic at the dealership said that it was just gear rollover but im not happy with his decision cos if it cost me big dollars later to replace throwout bearing and most prolly clutch if it fails due to the bearing im gonna be ******... the question is has anyone else got so called gear rollover in their 6 speed???

p.s i have a wrxc with a straightcut ge****t in it and it has gear rollover and it sounds nothin like this rattle noise.

cheers stacey

I totally understand your problem. I had this problem back in 2 years ago and i told the chief mechanic this problem has to be fixed. I told them i would not pick up this car until it fixed. I gave them 2 weeks to fix it because i was going away for holiday at that time. Accoding to my invoice, the crutched was replaced and the problem solved. Solved in the way that the rattle noise is much lesser than before. They told me that is the best they can do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Flywheel Bolt

- Clutch

- ThrowOut Bearing

- Bleed clutch lines.

The driveshaft seals are usually OK unless the person removing the shafts stuffs up and damages the seals with the splines on the driveshafts.

Toyota recommend to replace the driveshaft nuts too.

I'd also be prepared to replace the rear main crank seal if your cars getting towards the 100,000km mark.

Longer clutch push-rod isn't required with a properly adjusted master cylinder, you also dont have to bleed the clutch line as you can unbolt the slave and line from the box and just swing the whole lot out of the way to get the box out.

And the clutch lines???

have never had any issues with the rubber clutch lines. it's not like they're 30 years old.

Hahahha . I know that.....

Was referring more to the clutch feel. Would it make the pedal feedback harder or make any difference at all?