Brake Squeel

Kenneth

As the title suggests, I have a constant brake squeel on the rear brakes ever since I got new rda rotors and pads.

I thought it was the crappy pads thats making the noise so over the weekend i took the time to change the pads and actually machine the rotors too. What one would think will solve the problem.. it did not..

New pads are TRW pads and guy tht supplied it to me pretty much assured me that these pads does not squeel so I think it MIGHT be the rotor thats the problem but since these pads are still bedding in i will give it another month or two and see how we go.

Anyone have any input?

Pic of the yaris brake pads. But same as the corolla. Anyway just get copper grease or anti seize (CRC brake stop quiet - red bottle)

Put some at those points hopefully it goes away. Always do this at work for customers cars. Oh yeah be careful not to get

the grease on to the disc or pads. If that doesnt work, drive it off a bridge =D

13382294.jpg

are they performance pads (ie. abrasive)? are the pads clean? i think that dirty or performance pads (or both) can cause squealing sometimes

I wouldnt call them performance pad but I was told they bite pretty hard and they were put in new so I'd assume they are pretty clean and all.. i will let it run in abit more before i do anything

Pic of the yaris brake pads. But same as the corolla. Anyway just get copper grease or anti seize (CRC brake stop quiet - red bottle)

Put some at those points hopefully it goes away. Always do this at work for customers cars. Oh yeah be careful not to get

the grease on to the disc or pads. If that doesnt work, drive it off a bridge =D

13382294.jpg

thanks vincent! i will give that a try if everything else fails..

How loud a squeel are we talking here? Like a loud taxi squeel or just a faint noise?

Put it this way, race cars have noisy brakes, you are now cool like a race car :P

:) hahah race car it is ;) just to make myself feel better..

HAHAHA SUPERDAVE! xD

i think its quite high pitched and quite loud ey.. its not a faint 1 thats for sure

the new brakes is very faint now.. sometimes abit louder but not taxi type :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I also have a squealing noise in the front when braking.

I don't know what kind of brake pads are in now; I bought the car second hand and never looked/changed.

Now.. I was thinking about getting the black TRD front brake pads and then turning the rotors.

Will the noise still remain?

Cause that answer from Superdave makes me think twice.. :o

Hey guys,

I also have a squealing noise in the front when braking.

I don't know what kind of brake pads are in now; I bought the car second hand and never looked/changed.

Now.. I was thinking about getting the black TRD front brake pads and then turning the rotors.

Will the noise still remain?

Cause that answer from Superdave makes me think twice.. :o

i was under the impression that it was just little bits of metal that they use in the pads to make the harder compound rubbing on the rotor.....mine squeaks when the brakes r hot so i dont think they r performance.

from my understanding performance will squeak when cold? and perform better hot....mines the other way around.

hopefully when i get new rims i'll put sum nice disks, and paint the calipers

The stock pads can make a faint squeel too. Copper grease does nothing too, gave it a try when I put my new pads in.

I don't even notice the nosie my brakes make. Heat and noise are the by-products of braking, so can't be removed entirely. I can't comment on how noisy the TRD pads are as I haven't used them before, so someone else will have to fill you in on them.

ninja edit: The noise is parts of the pad/caliper vibrating at a very high frequency, hence the 'squeel' noise. Higher performance pads tend to be stiffer so transfer more vibration.

^ doesn't work, I've tried it a few times.

Oh really? I've seen it done on a Commodore wagon with newish pads and it took the squeal away. It might be more of a situational thing rather than a sure fix?

Might work on a different brake setup. It did remove the squeal for maybe 50-100km but it came back on the Corollas.

To remove brake squeal you need to remove the shiny smooth surfaces on the discs and pads...

Get some rough sand paper and sand down all contacting surfaces of the discs and pads to roughen them all up...

Your brake noise will be gone...

It's call 'glazing' and it occurs when light braking applications are all that are used...

I try and hit the brakes hard every now and again (when it's safe to do so) to keep them from glazing and it works without a worry :) ...

To remove brake squeal you need to remove the shiny smooth surfaces on the discs and pads...

Get some rough sand paper and sand down all contacting surfaces of the discs and pads to roughen them all up...

Your brake noise will be gone...

It's call 'glazing' and it occurs when light braking applications are all that are used...

I try and hit the brakes hard every now and again (when it's safe to do so) to keep them from glazing and it works without a worry :) ...

Good tip, You can also get brake cleaner that help remove glazing. It also helps reduce brake dust ;)

did you put the squeal shim onto the TRW pads, u got to take it off your old pads and put em on your new pads.. ? sorry its all i got lol all other ideas have been said already....

did you put the squeal shim onto the TRW pads, u got to take it off your old pads and put em on your new pads.. ? sorry its all i got lol all other ideas have been said already....

i think the previous mech tht changed my pads didnt put the shim back onto my car hence the squeel.. stupid mech (not surprised).. but i've put some CRC Brake stop and the noise only comes once in a while... :)