Kluger rolling back

ss--ss

Ive been driving our new kluger for the past few days and notice if I'm on a slope or driveway whilst in drive that the car will rollback like it's in neutral when the brake is released. All other Autos I've driven always kept there position without rolling back (unless very steep),I know there's a feature whereby you pressdown on the brake & it will hold for a few seconds but wondering if other klugers do this & is there a reason why ? btw it's a AWD...

I can't comment directly for the Kluger, but when you are referring to the other autos you have driven, were they as heavy as the Kluger?

Put it this way. If it is rolling back while on a slope, that means that the torque converter isn't wasting a lot of energy during idle in an attempt to keep your car supported on the slope. If it was applying enough power to hold your car on said slope, that means on a level surface, you would be wasting all that energy while you keep your foot on the brake. As long as it's not slipping once you start moving, then I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

That probably isn't the most clearest wording of what I'm trying to say, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

hey some autos role back, i wouldn't be overly concerned. Although mine doesn't, my previous car did (a Nissan Xtrail).

I think DJKOR summed it up well, it is prob a good thing that the trans isn't pushing when it doesnt need to eg when you have ur foot on the brake.

Thanks DJKOR , I see your point & makes sense...

The last car was a awd territory which i'd say is about the same weight & that didn't rollback anywhere near as much..

Ours does it too, I use the Hill Holder all the Time.....But make sure you put your car in gear not in N when you go to take off it could be messy and you end up revving the crapper out of your car and go nowhere fast the wrong way!! :o :rolleyes:

Edited by PC XT

My Corolla does the same, kind of bugs me at times, don't want to roll back into other cars that have stopped on a slope half a metre from me.

In saying that, does anyone know if this strains the gearbox ? seeing that it's in drive but the car rolls back...

Ours does it too, I use the Hill Holder all the Time.....But make sure you put your car in gear not in N when you go to take off it could be messy and you end up revving the crapper out of your car and go nowhere fast the wrong way!! :o :rolleyes:

Hill start assist won't activate until you are in gear and the park brake is released.

My Corolla does the same, kind of bugs me at times, don't want to roll back into other cars that have stopped on a slope half a metre from me.

In saying that, does anyone know if this strains the gearbox ? seeing that it's in drive but the car rolls back...

It adds a little bit of extra stress to the engine/gearbox/torque converter mainly because one side is moving in the opposite way to which it is trying to turn it. I've once rolled down a steep driveway whilst in drive (in my old Camry) and noticed it stalled the engine. I made sure never to make that mistake again. When you're talking about a little bit off roll-back at the lights, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

A tip though if you're worried about hitting a car that is right up you a** on a hill. Put your left foot on the brake and use your right foot to add a little throttle whilst you take our left foot off the brake.

there is a signal close to our place which is on a slope so I get to use the function quite often, when i reach the signal I just press the brake, keeping it in drive, till it is time to go , when i relase the brake the hill assist kick in and holds the car for a couple of sec. Have had no problems so far it does the job every time, I got a 09 FWD, but I think all the kluger have this feature, get it checked out by the dealer if it is not happening on your's

there is a signal close to our place which is on a slope so I get to use the function quite often, when i reach the signal I just press the brake, keeping it in drive, till it is time to go , when i relase the brake the hill assist kick in and holds the car for a couple of sec. Have had no problems so far it does the job every time, I got a 09 FWD, but I think all the kluger have this feature, get it checked out by the dealer if it is not happening on your's

my 08 KXS AWD does exactly the same thing. So you have to drive as if its a manual. When on a hill stick the park brake on and release at the same time as accelerating. Or press the brake hard until it beeps and the hill start activates then just rest your foot on the brake. When your ready to go just press the accelerator and it will hold the car while you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator.

Alternatively clamp a cycle rack to your towbar so that when the car behind decides to sit 2" from your bumber you can roll back and spear him through their windscreen.

Alternatively clamp a cycle rack to your towbar so that when the car behind decides to sit 2" from your bumber you can roll back and spear him through their windscreen.

Tow bar won't get the windscreen but will have same effect. If they're sitting that close, then they're also at fault if you roll back and hit them.