Fuel Consumption

Vivianna

Hey guys I bought my 2005 toyota echo last year as a second hand car, had all its service logs and was still under warranty,

no problems what so ever,

however I'm finding that it's been starting to eat alot of petrol, I used to get about 500 to 600km out of a full tank, and now

I'm getting about 250 to 300km, my driving hasn't changed its still the usual drive to uni which is mostly highway kms.

Just wondering what's the average kms everyone is getting and is my car having some kind of fuel problem??

Does it still feel the same as before, or does it drive rougher than usual? If it still drives the same, one thing I like to check first is your temperature needle. Usually during normal operation, it will sit around the mid-way mark. Have you noticed lately that it is sitting lower than usual (as in 1/4, etc)? If so, that can indicate a stuck open thermostat or a busted coolant temperature sensor. Those two factors can lead to much higher fuel consumption.

That is just one issue. I'm sure many others here will post others and the diagnosis that comes with them.

hmm it still drives the same,

and unfortunately i don't know what the temperature is like because it has the digital dash so my only temperature guide is a blue light on when i start the car and a red light on if the engine is over heating,

i spoke to my mechanic and he said it might be the fuel and to try a different place b4 he starts ripping stuff out,

so see how we go fingers crossed

on the plus i got new tyres today haha

Faulty MAF, O2 Sensor as mentioned and perhaps dodgy fuel to name a few ....

Get the car checked out by Toyota or something. Ger them to read the onboard ECU logs. Might point to something ....

Is that the only thing the mechanic could say?:-/ i doubt dodgy fuel would reduce your fuel consumption by half. The MAF sensor is more plausible. Try and give it a good clean if you can or tell your mechanic to have a look at it. While you are at it i would tend to use some injector cleaner nxt time i refuel for peace of mind...

• 2 weeks later...

You could take the car to Toyota / K Mart tire and Auto.

They can link it up to an OBD reader, then it will throw up an Error code - the error code will then point them to a 'potential' issue.

Keep us posted and good luck!