eBay HID LIGHTS

stedyedy

Yea, I bought my replacement bulbs through ebay.. Turns out to be alrite. I got question about this.

Why does the light not coming on together when turned on.. There's like a .5 sec apart.

And my lights occassionally blink, like off for an instance then on again.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quality of the lamp basically. May be just a very slight inaccuracy in the design making the cold strike properties a little different. Nothing too much to be worried about. It won't wear your ballasts out quicker or anything. They are just doing their job in starting them up. One may just be slightly different to the other (different percentage of salts or slightly different electrode gap). If anything, your lamps may not last as long, but time will tell.

After doing some research i have decided to make the move to HIDS

Since the OP's eBay link no longer works, which ones do you reckong i should go for

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-XENON-CONVERSIO...=item45f153d177

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-XENON-KIT-2-BUL...=item414d795860

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-Xenon-Slim-Ball...=item2a05346e92

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-Xenon-Conversio...=item2c536ebf51

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-Xenon-Conversio...=item1c1019dda4

And finally this one is almost 3times the price but has philips bulbs

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EDX-v1-HID-H11-Xeno...=item3caacbd054

If someone has already bought a KIT of eBay and highly rates the kit please let me know

Cheers

Edited by stedyedy

As has already been mentioned, the nature of HIDs means if a kit works, then there's already a certain level of implied quality to them as they wouldn't function unless certain parts were so precise in construction.

That "Phillips" kit looks just like the slimline kit I purchased for less than half that price - except mine was chrome instead of black. You will find 99% of them are all the same.

For me, I'd recommend finding an Australian based seller - not that they're likely any different quality wise, but for the convenience should a warranty claim be required. Much cheaper to post and quicker too. Quality wise though they're probably no different than a china based seller. I paid about $60 delivered each for my kits from an ebay seller in Melbourne. When you factor in the excessive postage price for items from China, you end up paying about the same.

Keep things simple to - regular bulb kits (possible slimline kit also) are what you want. Stay clear of those "bi-xenon" setups, they're very prone to failure.

As has already been mentioned, the nature of HIDs means if a kit works, then there's already a certain level of implied quality to them as they wouldn't function unless certain parts were so precise in construction.

That "Phillips" kit looks just like the slimline kit I purchased for less than half that price - except mine was chrome instead of black. You will find 99% of them are all the same.

For me, I'd recommend finding an Australian based seller - not that they're likely any different quality wise, but for the convenience should a warranty claim be required. Much cheaper to post and quicker too. Quality wise though they're probably no different than a china based seller. I paid about $60 delivered each for my kits from an ebay seller in Melbourne. When you factor in the excessive postage price for items from China, you end up paying about the same.

Keep things simple to - regular bulb kits (possible slimline kit also) are what you want. Stay clear of those "bi-xenon" setups, they're very prone to failure.

yea that was my plan to try and buy one from an aussie seller, but there doesn't seem to be any up on eBay atm,

the cheapest is $69 plus $12.50 for postage

Cheers

Everything that needs to be said about the eBay kits have been said.

On a side note though, without looking at the HID lamp itself, that Philips kit can't be guaranteed to actually be Philips made lamps. Just something to be wary of since people use these as marketing terms.

A bit ****** off just now. The last time I had to replace my left side HID because It didn't work. After the replacement arrived approximately last week, I replaced BOTH sides as the original were 8,500K ( Don't give me 'WTF!! 8,500K? Is there such a thing'. I got that often, and apparently yes there are'). Well, and today the very same side, the left was not working AGAIN! I didn't care if it was dark already, I opened the bonnet and used my Iphone as lighting to help me see what was wrong. After 5-10 mins checking, I found nothin. Thinking maybe it was my ballast, but it was working last week, so again I wonder.

Was ready to file a complaint to the ebay user where I bought my bulbs from. But then, after like 10-15 mins it didnt work, I turned my lights off, and back to on. Now it works, AGAIN! So now I'm still like WTF..?

Any of you guys experience this b4?

I've experienced this same thing on my drivers side. Once I had fitted them, I put the bumper and all that back on and turned my car on only to have the drivers side not turn on. From what I've found, when I turn my car on, my automatic lights kick in during the starting of the engine causing them to flicker from what I assume to be a drop in voltage. Based on what I know about HIDs this is not good for them. Now whenever I park my car I turn my lights off and once it's running I turn them on and go. Haven't had any issues since.

Vick, if you want to rule out whether it is the bulb or ballast, swap the bulbs around. If the same thing happens on the same side, then the issue most likely lies on the ballast end of things and if the issue moves to the other side, then the lamps are probably at fault.

It could be either your ballast is on it's way out, or the wiring to it is not as solid. Proper power connections are essential for the ballast to operate without issues.

With all HID kits I've had, I have had the odd occasion where one side does not ignite, and to fix this, you simply turn the headlight off then on again. Turning your HID's on while stationary and waiting about 15-30 seconds before driving off is also a good idea as this reduces wear on the lamps.

The process that gets HID's started is a little bit complex in a way so if it fails to start the first time, then trying again usually does the trick. A general aftermarket ballast will usually attempt 3 times within a second to get the lamp to ignite. If this fails (or if it does ignite then goes out shortly), it will not re-attempt this until power is removed from the ballast then applied again.

Now whenever I park my car I turn my lights off and once it's running I turn them on and go. Haven't had any issues since.

Good tip above... that is one of my recommendations as well.

The key to prevent shortening the life of your lamps is in the way you use it. Try and keep them on for as long as you can per use. If you absolutely need to turn it off for a short period and need to restart them soon, try an wait a minute, and when you turn them on, try and do so once the engine has started and the car is not moving, an give it about 15-30 seconds for the 'high voltage' (200V is actually considered low voltage; but most people don't care) arc to stabilise.

I've experienced this same thing on my drivers side. Once I had fitted them, I put the bumper and all that back on and turned my car on only to have the drivers side not turn on. From what I've found, when I turn my car on, my automatic lights kick in during the starting of the engine causing them to flicker from what I assume to be a drop in voltage. Based on what I know about HIDs this is not good for them. Now whenever I park my car I turn my lights off and once it's running I turn them on and go. Haven't had any issues since.

Agreed. Originally I always had my headlights set on AUTO, but unfortunately that turns them on before the engine has started which can't be good for the ballasts. Although a minor inconvenience, I've now been activating the headlights manually - have ever since I installed the HIDs and nil issues so far.

Jaycar now stock a sort of electronic timer so a delay could be set for the headlights so that by the time the engine's started (say about 3 seconds tops) the headlights then activate. Be a fairly simple relay type arrangement, but for the trouble of making it work it's far easier just working them manually.

Cheers for the quick reply boys.. FYI, I always turns things off b4 I turn my engine off. Those things are Radio, Wiper, Lights and Air conditioner. and hand brake is always on.

I just feel that it's maybe the ballast. Coz this happened once before I replaced my bulbs. But after I turned it off and on againto make sure, It didn't work anymore. :lol: . I'll have the ballast check the next time I go to my mechanic for future mod, which shouldn't be that far away... :lol:

Interesting, so once the car is up and running you still leave the lights on auto?

Interesting, so once the car is up and running you still leave the lights on auto?

Sorry I think I may not have been clear with that. I just turn the lights on once the car is actually running. I have not used the auto light feature since I fitted my HIDs.

Hey guys,

Ended up buying these HIDS

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-Xenon-Conversio...=item2c536ebf51

and they are great!!!

Item arrived in about 5 working days.

i didn't remove the front bumper as some others did and it took about an hour to install them

Here are some before and after photos, btw previous lights where osram nightbreakers

16032010258.th.jpg

18032010262.th.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful posts regarding the topic

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Ey Daryl... I heard you used you used some sort of relay for your HID to prevent flickering.. Mind tellin us on what you did?

My HID now starts to either flicker / off at all now. Usually it's cured with some patience over time and some on/off switching.

Spent $50 yesterday in attempt to solve the problem, a mechanic near my house thought it's the computer problem, and all he had to do is reset them. Turned out that's not the problem.

Ey Daryl... I heard you used you used some sort of relay for your HID to prevent flickering.. Mind tellin us on what you did?

My HID now starts to either flicker / off at all now. Usually it's cured with some patience over time and some on/off switching.

It's not to prevent flickering. It's to prevent them from coming on when my headlights and parkers are off and I have to flash my high beams.

The issue with the lamp not igniting is usually the lamp itself. In some cases the ballast can be the part at fault, but to determine the cause, you need to swap lamps around. I always try to turn my headlights on when the car is stationary and wait between 30 seconds and a minute before moving the car so that the arc can stabilise. It's a cheap kit, so I take extra steps to make sure it will last.

• 4 months later...

Bumping my old thread up!

I have had HIDS installed for several months now and they are great!, but on rare occasions the lights will turn off for 1/4 a second then turn back on, it doesn't happen very often.

Any ideas guys? are my HIDS shot?

Cheers

I have had HIDS installed for several months now and they are great!, but on rare occasions the lights will turn off for 1/4 a second then turn back on, it doesn't happen very often.

Cheers

Get this to stabilise the current to your HID kit by drawing power directly from the battery.

:P :P :P :P

I am also considering getting a HID kit next week, what do u guys think about converting the fogs to HIDs ?... Is there any specific advantage? ]

I personally don't recommend it due to glare related issues. Sure enough people say they will turn it off etc when there are other cars around... but seriously, how many do you think would actually do that?

If you live out in the country etc and will only use them accordingly when no others are around, then go for it. But if you are going to be an idiot and drive with them on around other cars, then do everyone a favour and just don't do it.

Also, well aimed headlights and HID high beams would be more effective at giving your night time illumination because fog lights generally are aimed close to the front of your car which can reduce your distance viability believe it or not.

I am also considering getting a HID kit next week, what do u guys think about converting the fogs to HIDs ?... Is there any specific advantage? ]

I personally don't recommend it due to glare related issues. Sure enough people say they will turn it off etc when there are other cars around... but seriously, how many do you think would actually do that?

If you live out in the country etc and will only use them accordingly when no others are around, then go for it. But if you are going to be an idiot and drive with them on around other cars, then do everyone a favour and just don't do it.

Also, well aimed headlights and HID high beams would be more effective at giving your night time illumination because fog lights generally are aimed close to the front of your car which can reduce your distance viability believe it or not.

Thats fair enough, makes sense. If i wanted to change the bulbs to a different temperature later on, i'd only have to put a different bulb in yes? I don't have to touch the ballasts? And is it worth paying extra for slimline ballasts? or they only make the slightest of differences?

Thats fair enough, makes sense. If i wanted to change the bulbs to a different temperature later on, i'd only have to put a different bulb in yes? I don't have to touch the ballasts? And is it worth paying extra for slimline ballasts? or they only make the slightest of differences?

Yes, all you have to do is change the lamps. Slimline ballasts don't make any difference except for mounting due to being a different size and all. Operation is pretty much the same.

Cheers

Get this to stabilise the current to your HID kit by drawing power directly from the battery.

:P :P :P :P

i already have a relay installed