Knocking sound when hard braking

funkd

Hey guise,

Recently I was in a situation where I needed to apply the brakes fairly hard to avoid hitting another car and I heard a knocking sound coming from the front-right side.

My mate who was riding in my car at the time suggested that it might be my CV joint and I should take it straight to Toyota.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem? or has possibly a different explanation?

Cheers!

Recently I was in a situation where I needed to apply the brakes fairly hard to avoid hitting another car and I heard a knocking sound coming from the front-right side.

As SecaBoy said... I would safely say this was more than likely to be your ABS. The ABS actuator makes quite a bit of noise itself and the noise and vibration can also travel through the brake lines. Since it is located on the right side of the car, this can make it more louder on this side of the car.

To give you some education on the subject:

HowStuffWorks "How Anti-Lock Brakes Work"

I was thinking abs too.. Do some heavy braking in a quiet place and see if you can repeat it.

The other thing to do is to take careful notice when you move from stopped. You may feel a slight knock at very slow speeds, with the brake gently applied.

That circumstance might be something up front, eg an intermediate shaft needs replacing.

Does this problem could occur due to rims of 20s? Would the Toyota fix it If they reasoned it's because of it?

Like a few other have said, its most likely the ABS... If it only happens under emergency braking, then I would not be concerned. If you notice it under normal braking, then go see your toyota dealer.

My car does it also.

I agree with what the others have said. I had to do an emergency stop just last week and the ABS on the Aurion in this type of situation sounds very different to what the ABS in my old gen 4 Camry does. It is also something that is very hard to replicate as our cars also have 'Brake Assist' which will apply the brakes harder depending on how much pressure and how quickly it was applied to the brake pedal.

Does this problem could occur due to rims of 20s? Would the Toyota fix it If they reasoned it's because of it?

The ABS system does know if you have 16 inch wheels or 22 inch wheels, it just senses whether the wheels are rotating or not and does what it needs to do modulate the brake pressure to keep the rotating.

As SecaBoy said... I would safely say this was more than likely to be your ABS. The ABS actuator makes quite a bit of noise itself and the noise and vibration can also travel through the brake lines. Since it is located on the right side of the car, this can make it more louder on this side of the car.

To give you some education on the subject:

HowStuffWorks "How Anti-Lock Brakes Work"

Thanks, does the aurion have an ABS light?

The other thing to do is to take careful notice when you move from stopped. You may feel a slight knock at very slow speeds, with the brake gently applied.

That circumstance might be something up front, eg an intermediate shaft needs replacing.

I have noticed a small knock when I'm turning full lock at low speeds. I just put it down to the sgit tires.

Thanks, does the aurion have an ABS light?

The Aurion does have an ABS warning light. If you pay attention to your dash when you start your car next time, looking underneath the fuel gauge, you will see it turn on for a couple of seconds then turn off. This indicates the system is in working order. The only other time the light will stay on or come back on is when a malfunction is detected.