The Big wheel purchase

admanzr6

OK Guys,

Been reading the forums here for a couple of weeks, you guys know your stuff... thanks for the posts.

Here's the lowdown..Black Stock ZR6, Family car with 2 little $%E^$^'s in the back ( AKA kids ) prams etc in the Boot.

Here's the downside...I love 20inch rims lowered!!!! blame ELEGENT.

can you please send me some awesome pictures of Aurion's with decent 19 inch rims and a good compromise on lowering to convince me not to buy 20's and give my kids spinal damage ?

cheers

sorry mate haha, are u worried about it scraping when lowered or too rough?

if your worried about it scraping go pedders springs they are a little bit higher at the back than kings are u will get no scrubbing at all.

if your worried about it being to rough, there will be **** all difference between 19 and 20's in my oppinion. its not that much rougher than the stock rims, it jsut feels like u put way to higher tire pressure in. and in the back is alot softer than in the front seats.

here is ingres's car he has 19's

2unub95.jpg

No offense meant, but if I had kids then I wouldn't lower or put non standard rims on my family car because it takes away from the factory safety features that I would want to rely on.

No offense meant, but if I had kids then I wouldn't lower or put non standard rims on my family car because it takes away from the factory safety features that I would want to rely on.

what safety feature would be compremised by changing rims and springs? if u went from 215's to 245's there is more on the ground im sure it will stop a bit better + handle better, u wouldnt be going fast round corners with your kids in the car but if u had to swerve suddenly this would be alot me stable with aftermarket springs in it imo.

Edited by ELEGNT

sorry mate haha, are u worried about it scraping when lowered or too rough?

if your worried about it scraping go pedders springs they are a little bit higher at the back than kings are u will get no scrubbing at all.

if your worried about it being to rough, there will be **** all difference between 19 and 20's in my oppinion. its not that much rougher than the stock rims, it jsut feels like u put way to higher tire pressure in. and in the back is alot softer than in the front seats.

here is ingres's car he has 19's

2unub95.jpg

Thanks Elegent....damn your sexy photo !

ingres's car looks sweet, but ....damn you elegent...your going to cost me another $1000 on wheels..hehe

Edited by admanzr6

thanks Taco..I'll just go get a KIA CARNIVAL and kill myself if i start to care about that stuff too much.

cheers anyway

what safety feature would be compremised by changing rims and springs? if u went from 215's to 245's there is more on the ground im sure it will stop a bit better + handle better, u wouldnt be going fast round corners with your kids in the car but if u had to swerve suddenly this would be alot me stable with aftermarket springs in it imo.

You have a point. I guess it comes down to how much you spend, if you cheap out on tyres and shocks then arguably you could be doing your self an injustice (possibly not at first but in the long term).

You have a point. I guess it comes down to how much you spend, if you cheap out on tyres and shocks then arguably you could be doing your self an injustice (possibly not at first but in the long term).

totally agree, there is only 1 20 inch tyre (thats under $500 each) that is legal for the car and they are pretty good so he wont be giving himself any trouble. stock shocks work fine, as of yet there are no upgrades for them. adman good luck with your decision mate B)

Edited by ELEGNT

totally agree, there is only 1 20 inch tyre (thats under $500 each) that is legal for the car and they are pretty good so he wont be giving himself any trouble. stock shocks work fine, as of yet there are no upgrades for them. adman good luck with your decision mate B)

cheers...still have to sell my house before I'm aloud to get them anyway.

I'll get the 20's and give the family a BUS pass if they complain about the bumps, hopefully I'll get lucky and the ride will be cool.

I'll post the pix of course

if you're going 20s, then the only tire i'd be looking at is the Pirelli PZero Nero's... i've got them on the front of my TRD, and i still get surprised by the amount of grip these have!!! (better then the stock ones, imo)

of course, if you've got a limited budget, and you still want 20s, then the nankangs are "ok"... but they only lasted me 10,000kms... lol

i got my pirelli's for $500 each...

sorry jeff missing your point here......

I have 2 kids in the back with kings and 20 inch wheels with 30's and personally i think that the new larger tyres pull up better and and have better traction.

with my original cheese cutters :whistling: i could spin then like there was no tommorow with my 245/30/20 my car tramps allot not good for the cv joints.

there is actually 3 types of legal 30 series / 20 inch tyres

nanakangs

maxis

and other brand does come to mind atm

Cheers

AUR30N

Edited by AUR30N

of course, if you've got a limited budget, and you still want 20s, then the nankangs are "ok"... but they only lasted me 10,000kms... lol

i got my pirelli's for $500 each...

10k's geez that serious wheel aligment needed or some serious chicane driving :rolleyes:

AUR30N

I love my 20 s but the ride is a bit bumpy if you lower it I would highly sugest you use kings in the front and pedders in the rear that way it will come down a fair bit but you should still have some decent ride

good luck with it all and dont forget some pics

p.s my 2 kids dont really complain about the ride much anymore lol

btw what city are you in ?

cheers

Edited by 51DER

I'll join the other side to keep a blaanced discussion

I think there will be safety implications(or even improvements) by changing wheels and/or suspensions, its a question of which aspect

braking distance would probably improve will larger wheels and wider tyres unless you go totally stupid with the suspension

ABS wouldn't have to kick in if there wasn't a lock to start with

of course in the wet wide tyres have a much harder time dispersing water

(to go with the package I imagine you are probably looking at a dry performance tyre)

just hope the stablility control don't have to kick

stablility control tuning is complex and it would be at least not optimal in a non-stock setting

Thanks Elegent....damn your sexy photo !

ingres's car looks sweet, but ....damn you elegent...your going to cost me another $1000 on wheels..hehe

Do u have any pictures of the wheels you are getting?

Not decided on wheels yet, I love ELEGNT's, but don't want to copy, I'm in south NSW coast so I'm not going to see him up the street, but still.

The Kings in the front and Pedders in the Back is interesting, not sure if I know who sells kings here, we have a pedders.

Can anyone else tell me how you go with insurance when you move to the 8.5 track which is beyoond the RTA reccommended ? do you need special insurance ?

U really want to go 20s and lowered with ur family car? Most of us here with 20s and lowered experienced scrubs at first but we managed the problems with different solutions. Haha.. No doubt it looks heaps better, just drawin u the worst scenario.

Request a photoshop in the Club lounge section on Photoshop... That'll give u several pictures on how it's gonna look like on the car. :lol: .

Edited by VF-X

I have 2 kids in the back with kings and 20 inch wheels with 30's and personally i think that the new larger tyres pull up better and and have better traction.

with my original cheese cutters :whistling: i could spin then like there was no tommorow with my 245/30/20 my car tramps allot not good for the cv joints.

I guess for me it is kind of a grey area when changing 2 of the biggest points of failure for safety.. Not having any kids I guess I cant completely empathize.

Each to their own.

I guess for me it is kind of a grey area when changing 2 of the biggest points of failure for safety.. Not having any kids I guess I cant completely empathize.

Each to their own.

HT with lowered car your getting closer to rd better gravity which will give you better stopping capabilities being closer to the ground. and i don't mean going stupid like some commordore owners in lowering.

but what it will increase is fuel consumption due to the car not being aero dynamics anymore when engineers build the car there design to lift to increase aero dynamics. as you build speed greater than 100km.

all these people with coil overs will have more rattles being that there so stiff there great for track work but i gurantee people will be sick of them after 6 months

look at all the coil over that got sold over ebay in the last week theres been 3 sets for sale only 6 months old there too firm for street.

also increasing the dot rating in the break fuild to dot 4 or 5 with decent pads will pull up even better due to the boiling of a higher dot rating in break fuild.

also in handling you will need bars and bushes etc

sorry if i rushed the explanation Iam off to dinner you can alway email me for more details

AUR30N

Edited by AUR30N

HT with lowered car your getting closer to rd better gravity which will give you better stopping capabilities being closer to the ground. and i don't mean going stupid like some commordore owners in lowering.

A valid point, however it doesn't always translate to being safer etc. If you lower your car though and change the shock absorbers to suit the drop, then that is a different story.

Shock absorbers are designed to work within given specifications. If you lower you car and leave the stock shock absorbers (a majority of people do this), then you are affecting the way your tires are put to the ground. Given the condition of Australian roads, you can experience quite uneven surfaces, and if your not getting full contact with the ground at all times then your ability to drive, steer and brake is compromised.

also increasing the dot rating in the break fuild to dot 4 or 5 with decent pads will pull up even better due to the boiling of a higher dot rating in break fuild.

Correction... DOT 5.1

Just saying this so no one out there puts DOT 5 into their car. Doing this will lead to problems.