Gearbox oil and Gear shifting problems

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey kenji do you wanna shift like this??

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

I used to be able to. But now I can't, and it's only 1st -> 2nd, I can drive like that from 2nd -> 3rd and onwards. Guess it's the clutch and it's time to change to exedy HD because many others with this same problem had it fixed when they upgraded their clutch.

hey kenji do you wanna shift like this??

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

I used to be able to. But now I can't, and it's only 1st -> 2nd, I can drive like that from 2nd -> 3rd and onwards. Guess it's the clutch and it's time to change to exedy HD because many others with this same problem had it fixed when they upgraded their clutch.

6000 RPM isn't LIFT is it? Because I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd whilst maintaining LIFT and by the time I hit 2nd, it has dropped to 6100 RPM. Aarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh. This crap shifting is driving me nuts!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i had same annoying sticking in first problem, toyota fixed it @ 20k service....now on 45k..not sure if its just my driving but i cant maintain lift 1st to second....everything happens quikc enough just i go to pull out of first and no go......by the time reclutch again it comes out and revs are way low

this is what toyota did @20k service as written on service reciept

* Rectify clutch not fully disengaging at times

Checked and found Hydrualic concern

Found clutch not throwing all the time fully

Removed clutch master cylinder to loosen lock nut

Readjusted pushrod clearance and refitted master cylinder

Rechecked operation all ok

might take it back again shortly (still under warranty :))

• 1 year later...

ive got a dry stiffness in first gear in a 2001 sportivo 5 speed. ive only had the car a few weeks but apart from 1st it seems fine. with 133,000kms on it.

never changed its gearbox oil but i've been recommended redline 75w90. (i'll let you know how that goes)

wouldnt mind knowing the engine oil capacity of the 7a's 1.8litre

anyone?

Edited by PetroDola

i just got a sportivo, complete with the worst shifting earbox in history.

i changed to redline shockproof after discussing it at length, and the result is great.

complete change. the gearbox feel is soo much nicer.

still a bit baulky if you try and shift it quickly at redline though??

is that just a feature of these wonderful transmissions?

• 6 months later...

**UPDATE**

The "earbox" shifting problem has been completely fixed!

Changed the clutch to an Exedy HD one, and fitted the extended push rod for the slave cylinder and the brass gearbox bushes (thanks Monkey Wrench racing!).

I can now actually change gears at high revs, and there is no baulking or crunching.

First to second as quick as you want ;)

Yeehaa.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ahh sounds good! i changed my gearbox oil to Redline and adjusted the clutch, i can sorta get into gear however theres still times where it gets stuck.

Good to hear that changing the clutch fixed your problems i might do the same next.

Keep us updated if it happens again anytime soon though!

yeah it was shock proof. after talking to so many people about it, it seemed the good choice.

After reading through here more, im starting to doubt that choice.

Is it really that bad?? Given that my car actually changes gears now, im open to other suggestions??

yeah it was shock proof. after talking to so many people about it, it seemed the good choice.

After reading through here more, im starting to doubt that choice.

Is it really that bad?? Given that my car actually changes gears now, im open to other suggestions??

It's a great oil, just not for synchro gearboxes. I used it too, and thought it was great till the syncrhos glazed and it was worse than before I used it.

just got my gearbox rebuilt. if the gear oil is red does that mean its autotrans oil? is that bad???

lol dextron is usually red yeh meaning like auto/ps oil?

from my experience dealing with manual gearboxes, should be clear. if auto red

just got my gearbox rebuilt. if the gear oil is red does that mean its autotrans oil? is that bad???

If your worried swap it for Penrite Sin75, cheap and does the job well.

Just keep in mind hard driving will cause the oil to oxidise from the heat (no cooler for our boxes) so it is worthwhile increasing the changes. Hard driving is more than the odd thrash; sustained high revs for a long time will do it.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bump this guys

but ive got a regular 02 levin corolla, and wondering what oil you guys are using?

also does anyone have a diagram of where the fill and drain plugs are for the gearbox?

sorry to bump this guys

but ive got a regular 02 levin corolla, and wondering what oil you guys are using?

also does anyone have a diagram of where the fill and drain plugs are for the gearbox?

I'd recommend the Sin75 as well.

As for the drain plug, once you jack it up and crawl underneath it will be pretty obvious, it's a 23 or something mm bolt at the bottom of the box. As for the fill hole it is on the front of the box, on the passenger side, about half way up. Don't have a picture, so hopefully that helps :P

• 5 months later...

bumping old topic, but just wanted to know since a few members have been saying that the castrol syntrax 75w-90 is crap for cold weather, whats peoples opinions on what to use now that we are in autumn-winter?

I use syntrax 75W90 with the nylon G70 additive n it feels ok in cold weather. Other fluids I've had experience in other peoples stivos r the redline MT90 and the redline shockproof gearbox oils. Be sure to pay premium for these though. shockproof as dave said is a bit harsh on the synchros

okay i changed my oil around 20,000ks ago and my clutc about 200 ks ago when i first got the clutch te car was unreal, flatchange anything i wanted it to do it would do. Now all of a sudden its starting to do what it use to do not go into 2nd!!! only sometimes it does it tho very rare, but still when it does happen it turns me off from the car, This saturday im changing the fluids and ill let use know how i go.

If u have been flat changing gears that can't be good for the gearbox.

Did u put a heavy duty clutch in or standard?

And even u when u were flat changing and the gears weren't crunching it Is still gonna do damage to the gearbox.

If I was u I will be changing gears normally because u will be up for thousands on replacing the gearbox!

adjust the clutch master pushrod. If it's not going into 2nd then the plate is dragging.

Castrol VMX80 works fine in the C60 boxes.

If u have been flat changing gears that can't be good for the gearbox.

Did u put a heavy duty clutch in or standard?

And even u when u were flat changing and the gears weren't crunching it Is still gonna do damage to the gearbox.

If I was u I will be changing gears normally because u will be up for thousands on replacing the gearbox!

I dont flat change because i know it wrecks the box but i have tryed it and it worked, yeah its either fluid of what chase said.