AE82 Twincam

jaderd

wheels all completed now.....they look good from far but are far from good in my opinion lol. The black went on not a problem and is the VHT wheel paint in satin black so is fine without a clear coat. I bought the clear coat to put on as extra protection and it was absoluetly terrible, no matter how much you shook the can and ensured it was warm etc it would not spray, even swapping a few diff nozzles and cleaning the nozzles to no avail, after around 25mins and prob getting maybe one coat just onto each wheel i gave up :( wasnt so bad though as i didnt really want the glossy look and if i had ended up using all the clear it would have been 3 coats per wheel and full gloss look.....

two of the wheels which had really crap old tread i have with me today and a beaurepairs is 200m from work so will get on some tread today/tomorrow......not sure what to get yet.....some Dunlop or Kuhmo or something around the 100-120$ per wheel. The dunlop LM702 i have on the stockies i like and is called the LM703 in the 195/50/15 sizing....will see what they have. Currently beaurepairs have a buy 4 get 25% off until christmas for dunlops....dont really need this deal though as two of the kuhmos still have a good amount of tread left.

cheers...next is dropping in the king lows and wheel alignment post.

....if the paint goes crap quick ill just get them sand blasted and PC....for now this was a nice cheap option...just slightly more tedious though.

wheelspainted.jpg

Edited by jaderd

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah have got a beaurepairs 200m from work so went in yesterday and organised for friday

4 X Dunlop SP fast response, lugcentric balance for all and they throw in a wheel alignment for after i have lowered it and will adjust to what specs i want etc...$500 even which aint too bad, they have that buy 4 get 25% off but said i didnt want to spend that much then they added full wheel alignment so the $500 worked a treat...i think they retail around $160 a corner give or take and they work from rrp when they then do the 25% off.... 195/50/15.

have been happy with the dunlop LM702 on the stockies, this has been superseeded by the LM703, and this is a better tyre than the LM703 so should be good....didnt want to go the Bridgestone adnrenalin or anything as had bad experience with my last set on the stivo getting around 15,000km max before tread gone, apparently they have altered the compound since then (18 month to 2 yrs ago) but has tainted my thoughts on them.

So will have them back on the car friday night.

tread on, very happy with the tread pattern etc, seems the guys didnt chip any paint on rims either which is great, was busy all weekend so only chucked them on last night and gave it a quick fang up and down the road....all seems balanced well (up to 100kmh ne way) liking the look. Helped Andy move house sunday and saw his brilliant massive garage so in helping him move scored some beer, some lunch & the use of his skills to help me drop in the king lows soon...want them in and alignment before X'mas hopefully.

It will be riding nice and low once the king lows go in, the front lip will prob only be around 2 " off ground once lowered....may need to trim it up a little.

some pics

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

yeah the strip looks pink because its filthy....whole car is at moment...also its due for another polish, the strips end up coming up white after some elbow grease.

very soon it should be riding lower, just gotta arrange a time with andy and we will drop her.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys....as for the skateboards i never could master them as a kid.....they all belong to BKS as does the garage, you can probably guess that andys house is the new place to do anything to your car, TV, stereo pool table space-a-plenty.

Got 4 wheel alignment done,

Rear im happy with and is set how want it

1mm toe out total from reading up should help unsettle rear a little coming into corner and improve turn in.

-1 degree camber on each side.

Front orig the toe was way out with +3.0mm total, changed that to -1mm total.

Front camber set to -1degree each side also, didnt want to go too agressive and wreck tires fast, as is with the 1mm total toe front and rear need to ensure rotate every 5000km atleast which everyone does anyway generally.

Caster is +1 degree approx each side (2 degree total), currently the strut tops are set to factory position, so i may rotate them in the new year which will allow for more caster, maybe 2degree each side and 4 degree total, also the option for caster bushes which i may do when getting around to all other bush replacing.....all in time and get just front end alignment again.

the 500m drive back to work the car already feels a lot heavier on the steering and turning at low speed due to the toe out more so im guessing ?

with saying that it also feels more solid etc.

cheers guys.

WheelAlignmentSettings20thDec2010.jpg

Sway bar set to stiffest setting.

Front lip trimmed a little on sides

front bar refitted....solely using thick cable ties, sick of having to remove indicators and headlights to get to bolts etc.

Car feels a lot tighter and the rear feels as if it follows through corners alot better.

just need a cruise day soon to give it a good test.

• 4 weeks later...

Problem i had with engine rattle found and fixed.

i began to check all things that i could think of and others mentioned to check and luckily brushed my hand past the genie badge on the extractors to noticed it was slightly loose, id never touched this before to see as its generally sitting at a very high temp whenever ive checked under bonnet to hear the rattle.

works out that the geniuses at genie seem to put the badge on via a pin/weld setup, just that the weld had broken away at one end so when you punched the throttle it would force the badge up slightly and rattle before falling pack into position and sealing hole. I ripped it off only to notice the hole as i figured it would have just been tacked on not a pin hole setup.

so anyway no welder at home, temp fix in place till i pop around to missus old mans shed to tack it back properly.

problem fixed, very happy, rewarded with a great fang through hurstbridge/nutfield/arthurs creek and home.

cheers

Geniebadgerattle.jpg

Geniebadgerattletempfix.jpg

• 2 weeks later...