fire extinguisher ??

When I had mine in the Camry, I had it mounted at the very rear of the driver's footwell. Made for easy access should the emergency ever occur. It looked similar to this, just on the driver's side and smaller:

epsn0009.JPG

Another place I would suggest is the passenger footwell mounted against the centre console section like this:

img1007800x600shkl.jpg

mostly in all my track cars i have it behind the handbrake in the centre but u have ur console still in best bet is the passenger footwell or passenger floor easy to reach just in case the time comes and u need it

good suggestions, i mean i have never needed a extinguisher but in the event i dont have one and i need it ill be like " damm i should of put it in !! " thanx fellas,

has anyone ever had to use their extinguisher???

good suggestions, i mean i have never needed a extinguisher but in the event i dont have one and i need it ill be like " damm i should of put it in !! " thanx fellas,

has anyone ever had to use their extinguisher???

i used mine once when i was racing

Just make sure it is secured well, CAMS recommend the mount to take 25g and some other specs seen below.

http://www.gmsc.com.au/mountingitemsinacockpit.htm

ninja edit: this is more a genral comment for people to not use the ****ty mounting bracket that comes with the extinguisher, either invest in some quality race mounts, or go over engineered. A 1.5kg lump of metal cylinder can do a lot of damage if it comes free.

We've needed to use one while 4wding the wattagans, wiring loom came loose and landed on the exhaust manifold, smoke ****** out everywhere, popped the bonnet, grabbed the extinguisher and puff, stupid thing was dead...

Ripped open the esky, shook up some cans of coke and sprayed away...

Who needs extinguishers when you've got some coke :)

stupid question, are you planning on track racing? if yeah, dont worry about me!

if not, then whats the point apart from ricing it up a bit? if you maintain your car properly and use it for everyday stuff, then chances of a fire are virtually non-existant.

Edited by lateralus

When you spit a rod out of your 2zz like a couple on here have done, it's nice to be able to put out the fire with an extinguisher instead of a bottle of coke ;)

stupid question, are you planning on track racing? if yeah, dont worry about me!

if not, then whats the point apart from ricing it up a bit? if you maintain your car properly and use it for everyday stuff, then chances of a fire are virtually non-existant.

I actually had an electrical fire in my old Camry thanks to a neon inverter randomly failing. After that, I carried a fire extinguisher in that car just in case. For $20 or so bucks, it wasn't a big hassle.

not the fact ill be racing.. the fact is what if there was a fire in the cabin for some reason, ive seen on the news brand new cars just burst up in flames... you never know till its too late...

as CHA54 said, if i had a fire in the engine bay id rather put it out that it consume the whole car... it will be hard saying to the insurance company the car cought fire from the engine blown up, they will probably turn to me and say " sorry sir you saw that your motor was blown, and since you dont have warranty you decided to put fire to your car for insurace, so were not covering you, btw does insurance cover that 'kind' of fire??? " lol highly unlikely but ya never know :unsure:

btw does insurance cover that 'kind' of fire??? " lol highly unlikely but ya never know :unsure:

generally, as long as its not due to mechanical or electrical failure.... :P

which is to say, yes but its hard to get it covered unless you know insurance inside out. (otherwise, read your policy wording!!)

Edited by lateralus

• 10 months later...

Just make sure it is secured well, CAMS recommend the mount to take 25g and some other specs seen below.

http://www.gmsc.com.au/mountingitemsinacockpit.htm

ninja edit: this is more a genral comment for people to not use the ****ty mounting bracket that comes with the extinguisher, either invest in some quality race mounts, or go over engineered. A 1.5kg lump of metal cylinder can do a lot of damage if it comes free.

Dave, can you send the link again, it seems broken.

Just for my own information, what brackets do you guys use? :)

Peter.

I added some quick release velcro to mine the last time I had it on top of the stock mount.

This is from finding out that a 160km/h EVO crashed, rolled and his F.E. was tossed all around in the car with him in it. Not very good ....

-_-