Auto Fog Lights

dixie

Hi Guys,

I have a question. Is there a way to wire the factory fog lights, set to auto, to come on when the motor starts?

I like to drive during the day with the lights on, just for the safety aspect, but seeing as I have fog lights, I may as well use these, rather than the headlights.

However, when the fogs are set to auto, they only appear to come on, when the main headlights are activated, either manually or automatically.

Surely there is a way for the fogs, when set to auto, or even turned on manually for that matter, can be activated, by an engine start! I've seen Commodores driving around with just the fogs on.

Any thoughts?

Regards................Dixie.

The fog lights will come on if you have just the park lights on, that’s what most people who have just their fogs on are doing.

But you should be aware that driving with you fog lights on in clear weather day or night is illegal in many states now, especially NSW.

The fog lights will come on if you have just the park lights on, that’s what most people who have just their fogs on are doing.

But you should be aware that driving with you fog lights on in clear weather day or night is illegal in many states now, especially NSW.

dixie wants this to happen when the headlight switch is set to 'AUTO'. In the case of the Aurion, 'AUTO' will only activate the headlights themselves and this means that not only do the fog lights come on... but so do the headlights.

In response to your question dixie, the simple answer is, no you can not have it work like you have specified, but if you are willing to take apart your ddash to access the auto headlight ECU, a few little tweaks here and there can make them perform as you wish.

If you just want them coming on when your car is on, just leave the headlight switch set to parkers and the fog light switch set to on. When you start your car, the parkers and fog lights will come on, and then when you turn your engine off and open the drivers' door, they will all turn off.

I think the OP doesn't really need to know any more about the fog light legality side of things. It's his/her choice about running them or not.

I still drive in dusk/dawn with my fog lights instead of my headlights. Yeah it's illegal.... but so is speeding which I still do.

Ok, thanks guys for all your replies. I guess the Commodore is set up differently, as the fog lights appear to be independent of the other lights. I don't intend to start mucking around under the dash of a brand new car, so I guess I leave things as they are and use the fogs with the parkers and try to dodge the police patrols ;) I mean I don't need the fogs, it's just another way of bringing attention to other drivers, that you are on the road, without driving with headlights on. :)

Thanks again.

Regards...............Dixie.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I've had my Aurion 08 for 3 weeks now and really happy with it. As it's an ATX it has no fog lamps

fitted & so I've rang a couple of dealers around Melbourne asking for prices. Wow!! $978 in parts &250

in labour. I've looked in FAQ's and couldn't find any info so I've tacked my question onto

tha back of this thread...hope thats o.k. Does that price sound o.k?? It took me a while to pick

myself off the floor when given the prices. Thanks in advance.

I think the OP doesn't really need to know any more about the fog light legality side of things. It's his/her choice about running them or not.

I still drive in dusk/dawn with my fog lights instead of my headlights. Yeah it's illegal.... but so is speeding which I still do.

Heh heh.... Personally, I prefer to use the term "spirited driving"........ I don't speed LOL :whistling:

BB

You can buy them off ebay for around $170 and fit them using the supplied kit. You can also i believe with a bit of messing around fit a stalk off a car that had them as standard as well as a relay and fuse and then use the original wirirng in the car. Im sure that is how it is done but DJ would know for sure.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the heads up regarding ebay Peter. I've seen a set for $159.00. It say's that they are genuine Toyota parts with all the bits and pieces. It mentions a switch to put on the dashboard rather than installing a stalk. Would any auto sparky be able to install these as I'm pretty clueless about anything electrical?? Thanks again.

You’d think by now all they states could come up with a uniformed law on headlamps, fog lamps and DRL’s so everybody knew where they stood wouldn’t you? Here in Tas RACT actually encourages you to use your headlamp during the day so you stand out more on the road and on a national level there one day a year can’t remember the date i know it’s in Nov or Dec though where your encouraged to turn your lamps on in memory of those who died in road accidents, why the hell are different levels of govt saying different things? Or why is it ok to use them on a certain day? Then there is huge fark up that is DRL’s we have a family friend with an E3 HSV who gets pulled over and questioned and asked to turn them off quiet often. SO there seen as “illegal” here (unless from factory which HSV’s are) in this country because they can stun other drivers where as on the other side of the world its illegal and your car isn’t road worthy if you don’t have them, are we behind times here or what?

You’d think by now all they states could come up with a uniformed law on headlamps, fog lamps and DRL’s so everybody knew where they stood wouldn’t you? Here in Tas RACT actually encourages you to use your headlamp during the day so you stand out more on the road and on a national level there one day a year can’t remember the date i know it’s in Nov or Dec though where your encouraged to turn your lamps on in memory of those who died in road accidents, why the hell are different levels of govt saying different things? Or why is it ok to use them on a certain day? Then there is huge fark up that is DRL’s we have a family friend with an E3 HSV who gets pulled over and questioned and asked to turn them off quiet often. SO there seen as “illegal” here (unless from factory which HSV’s are) in this country because they can stun other drivers where as on the other side of the world its illegal and your car isn’t road worthy if you don’t have them, are we behind times here or what?

Its just another way for the government to sting us for our hard earned dollars.

Its just another way for the government to sting us for our hard earned dollars.

lol GOVT's just suck when it comes to automotive laws haha