sportivo check

hAmZ

hi im new to these forums and am chasing a sportivo.

went to look at a red one on the weekend. was quite cheap but probably for a reason.

noticed it was quite rough with things needed to be done here and there.

but one thing caught my attention.

i think it's the radiator support? was all red but around the bonnet hinge was black, like unpainted. it should be all one colour yes? the colour of the car? does this indicate it may have been replaced because of a accident?

what do you guys think?

did a revs check, came up all clear.

post-16526-1259490707_thumb.jpg

post-16526-1259498742_thumb.jpg

thanks

Edited by hAmZ

As far as i know... A car will only be on Revs if it was a repairable write-off or structurally damaged

For minor damages like.. bumper/ dents... insurance companies don't bother putting it on REVS. [something abt - then all used cars will be on revs, too much admin work]

Another thing may be that the car was interstate... States don't have a linked RTA/ REVS system thing.

Correct me if 'im wrong.

Cheap does not always mean bad car..

It could be due to

condition of car

mileage

tyres, rims etc etc

If you think it's worth it get a mechanic to get it checked..

MOST often your first instinct is always correct!

hey mate, thanks for reply.

i have also added a pic that i took of it.

yes i know about what you mean of your first instinct. that's why i said to myself i shouldn't buy it because last time i didn't listen to my instincts went all down hill!! haha

oh. let me explain. see where the bonnet hinge/latch is. see how it's black and not red(the colour of the car). shouldnt that area be all red. if you look at your corolla you'll know what i mean.

as in, shouldnt the radiator support be all one consistent colour. why is that area not painted where the bonnet latch is. im asking for advice because it kinda points towards it's been replaced then they forgot to paint that area because maybe they already attatched the latch.

ill upload another pic.

Edited by hAmZ

Guys.... he's not referring to the latch. That is obviously black. Look at the part of the body behind the latch. It's like it was masked around then sprayed red. There is a 'shadow' of black behind the latch and this is what he is referring to. He's asking that maybe this indicates repair because in most cases you would spray the entire area before re-attaching that latch and that area should therefore be red.

DJKOR,

yeah we know what you're saying.. yes all the latches are black...

but the area behind the latch is black like that on EVERY ZZE corolla... it hides the colour of the cross member through the grille.

No worries. Confusion on my part mainly due to what we were referring to here:

they stick out like dogs balls through the grille if they are body coloured...
so they paint the latch black
so its a little more hidden.

IMO - if it doesn't "Feel" right to you and you have doubts either have it checked and hoisted or find a better one , spending a little more and getting something much better is always a good start , then again, this could be a great car...

DJKOR,

yeah we know what you're saying.. yes all the latches are black...

but the area behind the latch is black like that on EVERY ZZE corolla... it hides the colour of the cross member through the grille.

can someone else confirm this, as my mates 05 sportivo is not like this. all one colour.

i just checked my car, its blue all round...

:unsure:

hmm. well i've decided not to buy it. looked at few sportivo's and they are all one colour.. even though some of you say it's suppose to be like that? looking elsewhere.

thanks

Just because a car has had an accident, is no real cause for concern. Someone reversed into my Sportivo, but it only needed a bumper and metal brace that goes behind. So the car was not compromised in any way shape or form from them on. BUT! For a radiator support panel to have been repaired or replaced, it usually means that the bonnet, headlights, bumper, guards, and radiator, have also usually been damaged in the process. Once again, this is really still just cosmetic, but a poor repair can mean that things rust later on, and also there is the fact the car may have been driven on a ruptured radiator post accident...

Gav.

Edited by chicaboo

my Sportivo is not black in that location, but it is a common practice to "hide" an unwanted color behind a grille

if you are in brissy area, I run a workshop and can inpect any prospective car for you. if not , use NRMA/RACV/RACQ etc

repairable write-off are thoroughly inspected by an independent checking centre post repair, and are then taken off register. there are hundreds of economic write-offs sold to panel shops every week. probably 90% of them are repaired and sold, quite successfully and safely. the

retail price" of the repair including using new factory parts, is more than insurance companies will pay. Thats why any modern Toyota, with more than

small ding, is written off. I have personally fixed plenty of cars like this

cars written off by insurance for any reason, go onto a State govt based register (WOVR).

basically, this is to help stop the identities of written-off cars being re-used to re-birth stolen cars, and statutory write offs (meaning deemed to be unsafe to repair), from ever being re-registered

cars that are written off just for economic reasons, can be removed from the register once they pass the independent exam I mentioned.

provided such cars are properly repaired using parts that can be proven to have come from legitimate dealers, they can be re-registered with no hassles

it is these cars that are bought by the thousands from auction houses, and in 99% of cases, they are properly repaired for a fraction of what the insurance company was quoted, mostly by using non-genuine or used parts. there should be nothing to fear in buying these cars, provided they pass normal checks