Gear Shifts...

ok...

anyone can shift up.... (i hope...)

but how do you down shift without burning your clutch, crunching your gears, or locking your wheels?

here's an interesting site for people that are interested in learning on how to down shift, if you don't know how already! ;)

cheers...

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe.shtml

I do it time to time, but not braking hard.. and then rev matching...and accelerating.

I usually heel toe to rev match when turning around corners...

or just rev match to slow down the car..

does anybody else have trouble doing it in the stivo's ?

i could do it easily in my ae112r rolla but i find the pedals are awkwardly placed in the stivo making it hard to do

Shxxt yeah,.......can anyone share the trick for doing it on the stivo :(

Have to do it a little awkardly because of the pedal placement and it's most easiest with very flat shoes.

Twist your leg so your toes or ball of your foot are on the brake pedal and your heel is a little over the throttle. You'll find that you'll need to roll your ankle just a little too. Then try to push the throttle with the bottom right edge of your heel by pushing your heel down without pushing further down with your toes. It's a bit hard to explain, just remember you just need to be able to make enough contact with the throttle to blip it.

Practice by trying to rev the engine when the car stationary with your foot on the brake, then try to do it a slow speeds from 3rd down to 2nd. Make sure no one is close behind because when you're learning to do it you can unintentionally slam the brakes!

BTW If you're wondering I learnt to Heel/Toe when driving commercial vans

Edited by IZZ-FE

don't wear shoes! :P i don't :P:P

IZZ-FE, i had to learn to do that, as well as double declutch with synchroless gearboxes, in army boots, driving trucks and semis with no power steering. :ph34r: i never learnt to drive a car before that. u can imagine my joy the first time i drove a real car.

I find it realatively easy as I learned to drive machinery with crash boxes etc plus i have a size 13 foot so the distance between the peddles ain't a problem for my (not so little) tootsies!!

I find it realatively easy as I learned to drive machinery with crash boxes etc plus i have a size 13 foot so the distance between the peddles ain't a problem for my (not so little) tootsies!!

You got Big feet :P

I've got size 9s and do it pretty easy, but I've got flexible ankles... :P but my knees are farked, they get real sore after a couple of ours of spirited driving in the mountains.

ok...

anyone can shift up.... (i hope...)

but how do you down shift without burning your clutch, crunching your gears, or locking your wheels?

here's an interesting site for people that are interested in learning on how to down shift, if you don't know how already! ;)

cheers...

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe.shtml

I understand that heel/toe is a more efficient way of downshifting, but what method are people using if they're burning, crunching or locking?

I have tried to do it heel/toe myself, but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't master it. But the only time I've had trouble with downshifting (or shifting up, for that matter) is when I've let the clutch out before the gear is fully engaged and had a "Can't find 'em? Grind 'em!" moment.

When that does happen, usually its because I've underestimated my opponent and I've tried to play catch-up!